Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-20-2021, 11:38 AM   #1

White Rim Trail

Heading to Canyonlands second week of October 2021. I looked at the road report and it states that 4x4 vans are not recommended. I called and spoke to them and they said that there is a wash out and sandy crater just before Murphy Hogback that a Sportsmobile could not make it through. Anybody been there lately and should I plan on not attempting this section? They did not say I couldn't attempt it as each van and driver have different levels of ability. Just hoping for some feedback from the gang. 2010 SMB EB50 Fresno build w/lockers in the front and posy in the rear.

Lewgillett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 03:01 PM   #2

is it based on height getting under an obstacle or high center of gravity, wheelbase? Impossible to know if this is a bad idea. If the guy had a sprinter with the long wheel base and stock tires but you have an E350 with 35" tires, it's a totally different scenario. My advice would be to look for youtube or instagram footage of recent trips and see if that obstacle is featured, then decide if your rig is capable of surpassing it within your comfort zone.
WillTheThri11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 06:27 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillTheThri11 View Post
is it based on height getting under an obstacle or high center of gravity, wheelbase? Impossible to know if this is a bad idea. If the guy had a sprinter with the long wheel base and stock tires but you have an E350 with 35" tires, it's a totally different scenario. My advice would be to look for youtube or instagram footage of recent trips and see if that obstacle is featured, then decide if your rig is capable of surpassing it within your comfort zone.
Hadn’t thought about a Sprinter Sportsmobile. Good idea to look for some posts. Thanks.
Old 09-27-2021, 09:40 PM   #4

I spoke to a ranger at the Moab backcountry permit office last week and also asked about that warning. Sounds like the same info I got but they did say that it would probably be easier going downhill; as in traveling the WRT in a counter clockwise direction.

The warning about Mineral Bottom was a non-issue.

Note, we didn't actually make it to Murphy Hogback as we only snagged one last minute campsite at Taylor Camp and entered and exited via Mineral Bottom. We did go out as far as going up and down Hardscrabble before backtracking back to Taylor. If you happen to also be camping at Taylor, PM me for road conditions back into that camp last week.

I agree with WillTheThri11's recommendation to seek out videos of the Murphy Hogback section, or perhaps ask the same question on Expedition Portal.

FYI, I was traveling in RB homebuild with Agile 4x4 and F&R lockers.
Old 09-28-2021, 03:20 AM   #5

Thanks for the info. Starting on the 6th of October and also hoping for a walk in. Only have one date currently.
Old 09-28-2021, 12:03 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by joefromsf View Post

FYI, I was traveling in RB homebuild with Agile 4x4 and F&R lockers.
But did you need to use your lockers? Guessing not, but you mentioned it, so I thought it was worth asking
Old 09-30-2021, 11:17 AM   #7

Garage
From my experience, PLEASE check with other sources before altering your plans. I once called the rangers at Anza Borrego to get the conditions on the Diablo Drop Off as it is rumored to get nasty from time to time. I really wanted to include going down it as part of a big loop I had planned. Well I called and was told it was impossible to drive up or down, completely washed out and not even Jeeps could get through. Well a week later I did my trip, cutting off the section above the Diablo Drop off as I had been told it was impossible to even go down. Boy was I pissed when I drove to the base of it with zero issues and watched Jeeps going up and down A PERFECT, non rutted path all the way up. It was too steep for me to climb at my weight but I sure as heck could have easily descended it! That was the last time I relied purely on the info from the rangers.
Glenn P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 08:38 AM   #8

I agree with getting multiple sources, maybe some shops in Moab would have better info.

Also, if you have experience on other roads that's a good way to compare... sometimes people have no idea what your rig is capable of, if you can give them a "comp" (i.e. say you've driven Hurrah Pass down to the river) then they will have a comparison of what your rig is capable of and will be better able to say "oh, if you can drive that you can drive this" or "well, this is still worse than what you have as a comparable so..."
basssears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 09:12 AM   #9

I find rangers to generally be overly conservative...it's them who get called out for search and rescue/recovery and it just makes that less likely when they discourage people from going...hard to find a good one or convince one that you're not a ding dong that bought a Jeep Rubicon last weekend and doesn't know where the 4 wheel drive lever or why you'd use the lockers or sway bar disconnects other than "it's for better offroading!"
Old 10-04-2021, 12:15 PM   #10

I had a friend run WRT in his 2wd E250 in 2018 when they still had that warning. He struggled due to 2wd all season tires. A 4x4 van would have walked that section without breaking a sweat.

of course it could have gotten worse in 3 years but most of the time ranger stations are just trying to dodge liability.

I'd seek out alternative sources.
MacShaulayShaulkin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
canyonlands, murphy hogback, white rim trail