Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-25-2016, 09:58 PM   #11

Thanks for all the replies. I'm feeling better about the SMB penthouse bed if we go in that direction. Before, I wasn't sure if folks just used it as a kids and guest bed.

I would really like the CCV penthouse, but then I'd have to be comfortable leaving my van outside or expand my garage door height. I actually asked my contractor neighbor about it and he gave me an off the head ball park estimate of around $5000.

Months ago I had heard MGMetalWorks might get into the penthouse business but hadn't heard anything since then so I thought he had dropped it. I'll PM him to see what is happening along that front.

Old 08-26-2016, 12:46 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by joefromsf View Post
I would really like the CCV penthouse, but then I'd have to be comfortable leaving my van outside or expand my garage door height.
Does CCV not also built an ultro low top? I have no idea if it is still higher than the SMB, but it seems the same
schluchtenflitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 10:55 AM   #13
Site Team

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by joefromsf View Post
Yeah, we're talking about two of us up there; me at 6'0" 165 lbs and my wife at 5'4" 112 lbs. . . . Any couples regularly sleep up there? How's that work out for you? Are you OK with not being able to sit up in bed?
We're same-sized couple. We sleep upstairs 100+ nights /year for weeks at a time. Can't imagine sleeping below unless stealth camping. Fresh air, views, roomy vs. cramming into claustrophobic tin box below: all positive. Keep flexible and strong, you'll be fine.

Don

Life and baseball both sometimes are not fair, but it is how you play the hops that counts.
—Scott Miller, NYT Sports
rionapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 12:54 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by schluchtenflitzer View Post
Does CCV not also built an ultro low top? I have no idea if it is still higher than the SMB, but it seems the same
Yes, they did make a low top as recently as two years ago. https://youtu.be/wHK-3TMKLvk It was lower profile than their medium one but not quite as low as an SMB.

But they no longer actively market it and there is no mention of it on their website. That said, Matt at CCV says they still have the mold and that they will make and install one if you insist. When I talked to Matt a couple of months ago he said they had just installed one.

I haven't seen any comments from owners of the low top CCV on this forum or ExPo. I believe 1der has seen one first hand and mentioned there was a noticeable intrusion into the interior space when top was down. I'm not sure if they stopped actively selling it due to lack of interest by the market or if there were technical issues that plagued them. I think they may have also have had a lower weight capacity on the roof when raising it because of less than optimal geometry of the lifting mechanism when fitted into the low top.

I suppose I should start a separate thread searching for owners of a CCV low top.

I wish I had known 1der was going to CCV last week as I would have asked him to ask Matt and Derek about the low top.
Old 08-26-2016, 01:02 PM   #15

Hi Joe! Driving back to SF now. Give me a call 😊
Old 08-26-2016, 01:29 PM   #16

Garage
few pix of the ccv lowrise top in this thread: http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...e350-8292.html
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 09:19 PM   #17

one thing that was sub-optimal with the CCV low profile roof was the external latches.....
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 08:55 AM   #18

GTRV specializes in poptops to fit in garages. http://www.gtrv.com

But I like my CCV top. Haven't had it long but we always used to sleep upstairs in our old Westy.
yelnam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 03:43 PM   #19

We have had our penthouse on our van for 8 years now and have slept in the penthouse all but 3 nights due (high winds). We have no problem with it. We are both 70+, I am 6 foot, 200 lbs, wife 5'4" and xxxx lbs. It allows use to leave the bed made up all the time and ready for use. We really like it.

The Green TARDIS
LenS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 03:56 PM   #20

Len, don't let Joanne see how many x's you used for her weight. If she see that you are three digits and she is four she may get upset.
larrie is offline   Reply With Quote