Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-27-2016, 06:31 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by schluchtenflitzer View Post
Does CCV not also built an ultro low top? I have no idea if it is still higher than the SMB, but it seems the same
Nope, the standard CCV top is 19" high. There is rumor of a new version in the works that will be lower at 14", but might be only for Sprinters.

JFlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 06:57 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFlo View Post
Nope, the standard CCV top is 19" high. There is rumor of a new version in the works that will be lower at 14", but might be only for Sprinters.
Wrong. Much lower option than 19". Look at my gallery for midsize top.

1der can weigh in with actually measurements, but I think it's about ~12", and a SMB top is ~7".. I think.

They used to, and may still, do the low top which is like an inch or so taller than SMB.
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 07:29 PM   #23

IIRC the CCV mid-profile top is 9".
yelnam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 07:36 PM   #24

I stand corrected. My post applied to Sprinters only.

Search this thread:

Penthouse Pop-Top Comparo? (CCV vs SMB)
JFlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 09:28 PM   #25

CCV Ford E-Series (thxs yelnam) tops per my personal measurements: (corrected info from measurements taken with a tape vs my memory . )

High top - outside: 19" measured from the top edge of the gutter. About 5'8" clear room inside with the top down, lots of usable storage a was with top down. Under bed has a bit more head room than stock roof.

Medium top - outside: 12.5" measured from top of gutter. About 5' 0" clear inside. Able to store sleeping bag/pillow on bed, storage above cab is limited and not really accessible with the top down. Under bed has a bit more head room than stock roof.

Low top about 5.5" to 6" above gutter, bit lower than SMB by about 1/2 to 1" - very limited production, and as Matt said only if you insist. The lift mechanism has to be lower inside, as does the bed support panels. The head room under the panels is a bit less than stock by about an inch to inch and half.

I might be off a bit in interior measurements but not by very much. I can get exact measurements in the morning if needed.
Old 08-27-2016, 09:39 PM   #26

Great info from 1der. Just a caveat to clarify for folks: he's talking about on a Ford E-Series. And for the Ford Transit, the medium top is from the same mold; ie., same mid-profile top. My van's at SMB now so I can't measure height but it might add about 9" to the top of a stock low roof Transit.
yelnam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 11:28 PM   #27

Great information 1der.
CCV low top will be great alternative for me. Maybe one time i am in the states with VAnGO i will change the SMB top to the CCV. I need the low profile for shipping in a container
schluchtenflitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 12:54 AM   #28

Quote:
Great information 1der.
CCV low top will be great alternative for me. Maybe one time i am in the states with VAnGO i will change the SMB top to the CCV. I need the low profile for shipping in a container
Thanks.

Actually, the Mid Size top will pretty easily fit in a Hi Cube shipping container with its standard 101.75 inch container door opening. This parameter was why we chose the Mid Top. The Mid Size top is a great replacement for the SMB top. Quite a few have already done this
Come to think of it, you could have a top shipped to you, if you have the skills available to install it!

PS: I think the High Top fits as well but tires might have to be changed
Old 08-28-2016, 01:13 AM   #29
ctb

Garage
Send a message via AIM to ctb
Quote:
We are a couple and travel fulltime around the world in our SMB. See
Dani und Didi in Afrika -
We sleeping nearly every day together in the penthouse top. It is absolut ok for us and you get used in living with the size, how to climb up and down easy. We also have a bench but only use it if we stealth camp, if it is very cold or if it is noisy outside. In this cases we let the pop top closed.
Climbing up i just step on the bench (walk through design) and than climb up, my girlfriend step on the bench, than on the cabinet and than up. The "how to get up easy" you have to find the way is the best for you. We sleep with the feeds to the open part of the bed, so it is much easier to get in and out.
DUDER!!?? I was instantly interested in your van use/lifestyle when you said using your SMB around the world....BUT, there was only one album and that was mainly pics of a headlamp conversion? I 'd love to see some other pics! TRIP REPORTS!!! (though they may be dated, STILL good for the members to see!)
ctb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 01:15 AM   #30
ctb

Garage
Send a message via AIM to ctb
Oh yeah, sleep up there with your wife...you only bump your head once in awhile...if you're traveling all the time van-style, you HAVE to be able to handle 24-7 closeness eh?
ctb is offline   Reply With Quote