Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-18-2014, 10:24 AM   #11

Re: Why delay on ProMaster?

Quote:
Originally Posted by berns378
I was at smb yesterday and saw the promaster almost done and very cool with walkin with phtop down. it looks like a lower voyager top.
Thanks for update. Were you able to go inside with top down? If so, how much headroom would you estimate?

Also, with new top looking like lower voyager top (sounds like it could be taller than other PH tops), what was your impression on how much height it adds to van? For me if it won't go under typical 8-ft garage door it's no better than high roof van.

rallypanam, thanks for new link to Roadtrek camper.

Chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 09:49 PM   #12

I am 5feet 11inches and still had 3 to 4 inches to roof. that is only in the front half of the van because the floor is 6 inches lower due to the front wheel drive. the back half is raised for extra storage on the floor that has drawers that pull out. It would be very close to fit in a garage. I think it may work depending on tire size.
berns378 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 10:22 PM   #13

Location: Rancho Nuevo (Cabo/Todos Santos) B.C.S. and San Diego, CA

My guess is that these will not hold their value at resale - something to consider.

Just compare Ford and Dodge Sportsmobile resale values for an idea of what is to come.

AgileOffRoad.com
BajaSportsmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 06:48 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajaSportsmobile
My guess is that these will not hold their value at resale - something to consider.

Just compare Ford and Dodge Sportsmobile resale values for an idea of what is to come.
Relative to what? Are you talking about Ford versus Dodge Sprinters or old Dodge Ram vans? And by Ford you must mean Econoline which is no longer an option.

Either way, in the future it's RAM ProMaster versus Ford Transit, neither of which are the same as previous RAM, Dodge Sprinter, or Ford Econoline vans or wagons.

Unless we base future value primarily on brand loyalty, I don't see how we can say a Transit will retain more of its value than a ProMaster. In my opinion whichever of the two earns the best reputation for reliability, durability, ease of repair, etc.... will hold its value best.
Old 11-19-2014, 10:11 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance
In my opinion whichever of the two earns the best reputation for reliability, durability, ease of repair, ecc.... will hold its value best.
It will most likely be the commicerial users that will determine the van with the best reputation because of the huge number that they will be buying.
larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 10:32 PM   #16

Location: Rancho Nuevo (Cabo/Todos Santos) B.C.S. and San Diego, CA

History has a way of repeating its self.

AgileOffRoad.com
BajaSportsmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 11:39 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajaSportsmobile
Relative to what? Are you talking about Ford versus Dodge Sprinters or old Dodge Ram vans? And by Ford you must mean Econoline which is no longer an option.
Having purchased a used 2006 Dodge Sportsmobile earlier this year I can attest those Sprinter based units retain a higher resale value than other 2wd Sportsmobiles. Great news for the original purchasers, albeit not so favorable from a used buyer's perspective.

The chassis types that retain long term value usually have some distinct niche advantages. The Ford E Series has excellent 4wd conversion capability, good towing capacity and widespread aftermarket support. The Sprinters have full standup height and fuel efficient turbo-diesel engines. And the Promaster units have FWD, tight turning circles, and a capacious box-like interior for their exterior size. Each seems uniquely valuable for a given clientele.

BajaSportsmobile is correct the Dodge Ram vans didn't seem particularly gifted in any unique way, and once discontinued in favor of their euro-van brethren those old Rams quickly faded into obscurity.
PeteM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 12:17 PM   #18
Site Team

Garage

I was told yesterday that SMB hopes to have them ready by the first of the year. They still don't have the top due to problems with who is making the top. BTW the top will not be a low profile type like I thought but more similar to SMB's contempo top. When looking at the hard top and the pop top van with the top down, I was told both will look similar. So with the top down there will still be at least 6' of standing room due in part to the 6" floor drop.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 08:34 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteM

.....cut......

BajaSportsmobile is correct the Dodge Ram vans didn't seem particularly gifted in any unique way, and once discontinued in favor of their euro-van brethren those old Rams quickly faded into obscurity.
Agree. Based on my observation, when vehicles are discontinued their value typically goes down a lot because they're perceived as older, or obsolete. A few, like the original Mustang, may become a classic or more desirable if the subsequent model is seen as inferior. The 1974 Mustang II helped older models hold their value. This doesn't happen often though.

I presently own an E-350 so I hope they hold their value for a long time, but I expect that other than for future 4X4 conversions or heavy towing, the E-series will fall out of grace quickly unless the Transit turns out to be highly flawed. And that's unlikely. Also in my opinion as e-series get older few people will want to convert to 4X4. I just don't see the E-series as "particularly gifted in a unique way".

ProMaster versus Transit future value is anyone's guess, and that's the comparison that I think will count most. At least for camper van applications.
Old 11-20-2014, 08:38 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb
I was told yesterday that SMB hopes to have them ready by the first of the year. They still don't have the top due to problems with who is making the top. BTW the top will not be a low profile type like I thought but more similar to SMB's contempo top. When looking at the hard top and the pop top van with the top down, I was told both will look similar. So with the top down there will still be at least 6' of standing room due in part to the 6" floor drop.
Will the 6-ft standing room make it too tall for garages and drive-thrus? Sounds almost as high as a high roof.