Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-29-2015, 06:33 PM   #31
Site Team

Garage
Re: Why delay on ProMaster?

Yes that picture looks like SMB west but the top was not in at the time that was taken. They should be getting in the top soon, maybe this or next week if all goes as planned. I'll post a picture when it does. BTW even the hard top has not been outfitted at SMBW according to Jonny. Sorry but I don't have a clue what the other shops are doing. I just get the info trickled down to me or when I pay a visit.

Dave

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 09:30 PM   #32

In ProMaster forum a member posted pictures of a low-roof 136-inch wheelbase Colorado Camper Van Conversions with a pop roof. Roof looks very large and roomy for a smaller PM. The top looks similar to previous SMB in that it's not contoured to fit van like original roof.

On that topic, there was a low-roof Ford Transit with a fixed fiberglass raised roof at the Houston Auto Show that looked great. I think it was Explorer but not sure. The fixed roof was similar to others we are used to.
Chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 08:17 AM   #33

Wish I could see a picture of the low-roof Transit wit the fixed fiberglass raised roof. If I'm reading the specs and options correctly, only the low-roof Transit has side barn doors rather than a slider.
Old 01-30-2015, 09:49 AM   #34

I didn't take a picture, but it had side barn doors. You can see pictures on Explorer Van web site.

http://www.explorervan.com/gallery/colo ... t=11420142
Old 01-30-2015, 09:54 AM   #35

This is like the one at show.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 01-30-2015, 04:35 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance
There is a report on ProMaster forum that Sportsmobile is currently showing a ProMaster-based camper van at the Tampa RV show. Has anyone seen pictures or information on this van, or have pictures you can post?
Looks like that Tampa demo unit is now listed for sale on the Sportsmobile Texas - New Inventory page:

http://www.sportsmobile.com/inventor...ventory_id=336

$79,960

Rather unusual "shower in a floor cabinet". Big 4 kw inverter and electric water heater, but it seems odd they didn't opt for the larger 220 amp vehicle alternator with all those electrical loads.
PeteM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 04:38 PM   #37
Site Team

I like the shower/toilet combo. Relatively low profile unless its being used.

Herb
Old 01-31-2015, 09:14 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteM
Quote:
There is a report on ProMaster forum that Sportsmobile is currently showing a ProMaster-based camper van at the Tampa RV show. Has anyone seen pictures or information on this van, or have pictures you can post?
Looks like that Tampa demo unit is now listed for sale on the Sportsmobile Texas - New Inventory page:

http://www.sportsmobile.com/inventor...ventory_id=336

$79,960

Rather unusual "shower in a floor cabinet". Big 4 kw inverter and electric water heater, but it seems odd they didn't opt for the larger 220 amp vehicle alternator with all those electrical loads.

Thanks for heads up on this PM conversion. I plan to attend the Houston RV show this coming week and will take a look at it if Sportsmobile is there and shows it.

For us there are a lot of "unusual" features beyond the shower/toilet-in-a-floor-cabinet (can't say I care for that design, preferring an enclosed room). And by unusual I don't mean bad, but some wouldn't work for our needs. What we like best is the openness but it comes at a high price.

It seems all electric but I don't see a cooktop at all. I guess a portable hot plate could substitute.

I don't see mention of heater so it's likely electric too. If off the grid how long would 200 Amp-hour last at even 500 watts to take the chill out of van? A couple of hours?

The rear dinette seats appear elevated about 6 inches to match cab area. That should improve forward visibility for passengers, but they all have to ride sidewards. Makes into nice-size bed for two though.

There is a lot of counter surface for this size van, but it comes at expense of storage. I don't see a wardrobe to hang clothes, and the fridge is smaller than otherwise possible.

I get the feeling this van was designed as a combination travel van and or weekender, more so than for extended camping. And to me that's the most unusual thing of all since the ProMaster lends itself so well for camping. Regardless, I hope it makes it to the Houston RV Show to get a sense of how much space a PM can provide when left somewhat open.
Old 01-31-2015, 10:49 AM   #39

Quote:
I don't see mention of heater so it's likely electric too. If off the grid how long would 200 Amp-hour last at even 500 watts to take the chill out of van? A couple of hours?
I think you're right - no built in stove or heater. Does seem more like a traveling coach and not a camping unit.

Some of the Sportsmobile rental units at Campervan North America were all electric and outfitted with 1500 watt cube heaters that drain the 200 Ah battery pack in less than an hour, resulting in batteries too depleted to power the fridge and other water pump and lighting demands. Having read previous negative reviews we requested a unit with marine diesel heater/stove that worked much better.

For a gas powered vehicle like the Promaster the compact propane fired Truma Combi water/air heater seems well suited. Solar combined with the optional 220 amp vehicle alternator could then supply the relatively more modest fridge and coach electrical needs.
PeteM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 11:00 AM   #40
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoHauler
I like the shower/toilet combo. Relatively low profile unless its being used.

Herb
hmmmm... now that I look closer, the shower curtain track doesn't seem to go along with van body side. So you can either lower the window shade and get it wet, or leave the window shade up and give the rest of the RV park a show.

Herb