Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-01-2015, 05:53 PM   #41

Re: Why delay on ProMaster?

Sounds like I should swing by SMB-TX this week for a look-see, and a chat with Paul and Kevin. I'll try to get photos.

'Course, the folks at SMB-TX are so danged busy -- unlike 2009 when they did some electrical work for me with no wait.

Update 2015: business is roaring! Chatting with Paul and Kevin may be a pipe-dream, though Paul, bless his socks, took time to advise me in December as I (nearly) bought a 2008 SMB they had built, even though it was being sold on Craigslist, not through them -- before the seller backed out (grrr). Paul recognized the build sheet and knew the original buyer off the top of his head... wow.
It its a wondrous and wonderful thing when the business of good folk is almost "too good."

Old 02-06-2015, 09:17 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyDawg
Sounds like I should swing by SMB-TX this week for a look-see, and a chat with Paul and Kevin. I'll try to get photos.

.....cut.....

It its a wondrous and wonderful thing when the business of good folk is almost "too good."
A great problem to have for sure.

I did not see SMB Texas at the Houston RV Show which was disappointing, but fully understand that it makes little sense to spend on marketing if already at, or beyond, capacity.

There were a few ProMaster-based campers, including a couple of Class B+ and a couple of Class Bs. There were also various Sprinters of each type to compare against. I did not see any Ford Transit-based RV. I saw one Chevy.

In my opinion the Sprinters make nice Class B+, but for pure Class B the PM offers a lot at a lower cost. The most obvious difference is the width between the PM and Sprinter, particularly at higher elevation. In the PM-based Winnebago Travato or Pleasureway Lexor, I could stand in the bathrooms/shower and turn around easily (granted I'm not that big, but shoulder and head room was generous for a man my size, given these are production vans). In the Sprinters, side bathrooms were so narrow to the point of being useless unless the door was left open.

Sprinter vans do have a higher GCWR which permits greater towing compared to PM, and are available up to three feet longer (interior closer to two feet longer). They also have more ground clearance for generators. The Show confirmed a ProMaster Class B is best for my needs, but only if I can park it at home. If I have to park offsite anyway the same cost will buy many Class Cs or even entry Class As.
Chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 12:42 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb
Yes that picture looks like SMB west but the top was not in at the time that was taken. They should be getting in the top soon, maybe this or next week if all goes as planned. I'll post a picture when it does. BTW even the hard top has not been outfitted at SMBW according to Jonny. Sorry but I don't have a clue what the other shops are doing. I just get the info trickled down to me or when I pay a visit.

Dave
Has the pop top arrived yet? Any pictures of low-roof van interior you can post, even if without top?

Updates are appreciated.
Old 04-03-2015, 04:28 PM   #44
Site Team

Garage

They have it and should be painted and installed in a week or so.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 04:41 PM   #45

Thanks Dave, look forward to pictures.
Old 05-03-2015, 12:20 PM   #46

Quote:
They have it and should be painted and installed in a week or so.
Any progress in last month?
Old 05-03-2015, 02:30 PM   #47
Site Team

Garage

Yes finally, I will post up within the next couple of days.

Old 05-03-2015, 04:13 PM   #48

Quote:
Yes finally, I will post up within the next couple of days.
Thanks Dave.

Can you also find out what the van's overall height and the interior headroom is with top down?

Whether it remains garageable or not will set it apart from other van choices -- that is, for a van that should permit near-standing headroom with top down.
Old 05-04-2015, 12:37 PM   #49
Site Team

Garage

OK here's the link to the Promaster article.
Promaster article

I have a couple of pictures of the pop top in there. The article may be upgraded if I get more info and I'll check on the true overall height of the pop top model.

Old 05-05-2015, 02:43 PM   #50

Thanks Dave. From pictures it looks fairly clear that van would not go under an average 8-foot garage door. It may clear under 8-feet obstacle but 8-ft doors are only around 94 inches. And since van starts out at 90 inches, and top looks a lot more than 4-inches tall, I'm not very optimistic.

I look forward to your measurement but I'm not going to hold my breath that it's going to be an option to consider for us. Thanks again.