Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-05-2015, 03:38 PM   #51
Site Team

Garage
Re: Why delay on ProMaster?

Yeah it looks like it's only a few inches shorter than the hard top model.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 08:51 AM   #52

Dave, do you have any idea on how RAM would handle warranty issues on a new van if it was modified by lowering the floor instead of raising the roof? Similar to wheelchair vans?

I've already seen Ford Transits with fiberglass sports roofs added, and the SMB ProMaster cuts out much of the roof as well (even if reinforced the holes remain in the unitized structure), as do many Ducato conversions in Europe. The semi-unitized cutaway RVs based on ProMasters don't even have a body at all. Also, mobility vans often modified the chassis and floor under Econolines and minivans. It doesn't seem like it should be impossible.

Since the rear of the ProMaster is designed like a glorified trailer, it seems like it should be very easy to drop the floor to obtain at least 6-feet of headroom out of a low-roof model. Do you think it would void all warranty if I cut and lower most of the floor a few inches?

P.S. -- This would be less than ideal for us because low roof ProMasters don't come in longer wheelbase models so van would be smaller than I'd prefer. It would also have less room underneath for batteries and or tanks. Still, I estimate it would be cheaper than adding full air suspension in order to get a high-roof PM to kneel low enough to go under 8-foot garage door.

Any other suggestions appreciated.
Chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 11:18 AM   #53
Site Team

Garage

That's way beyond me even guessing. I take it you must garage your RV where you live? No way to modify your garage?

Old 05-07-2015, 05:11 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb
That's way beyond me even guessing. I take it you must garage your RV where you live? No way to modify your garage?
Thanks. And yes, my HOA requires that we not park RVs outside other than overnight to load and unload. Beyond that I also don't want people passing by to know that we are gone because van isn't parked at home for extended periods. Or the weather to deteriorate the van being parked in hot sun, rain, etc...

I've ruled out building new RV garage at existing home, and my 8-ft door is already based on replacement. Existing is 7-ft, with about 82-inches clear. Cost estimate if I do some of the work myself isn't that bad. Actually pretty low compared to van.
Chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 08:57 PM   #55
Site Team

Garage

Just buy a Ford with a 6.0 and your vehicle will be in the shop so much that nobody will be able to make heads or tails on whether you're gone or not