Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-09-2012, 12:32 PM   #11

Re: Wife's 1st drive..

My van was the progedy of my divorce. Oregon has some messed up civil laws. Details I will spare the forum, and avoid future legal issues .

Ketcham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 02:09 PM   #12

My wife drove the van a while back after admitting to it's intimidation factor previously. I told her she would be fine.

Well, when she ran into seriously dangerous road conditions, things got real. 50MPh blowing snow on an icy mountain road lead her to get out and lock in the hubs. On her way back to the driver's seat she slipped on the ice and caught herself on the door jam, then the wind blew the door closed on her hand. She smashed the crap out of her middle finger and had to open the door to get her hand back. Alas, my wife did get it into 4x4 and continued on her journey to go XC skiing. What a girl.

Now she locks the hubs in the driveway before she leaves.

Cheers,
C7
c7train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 03:24 PM   #13

Garage

My wife drove our prior Econolines as daily drivers for several years, with kids. Also drove our 24' Class C no problem. Many people drive pickups and SUV's and the RB at least is smaller than most extended pickups.
Old 02-10-2012, 07:38 AM   #14

With about 5000 miles now, I am finally starting to feel comfortable driving my RB, though parking can still sometimes be stressful. I still won't take the van to my local Starbucks which has very small parking places and no room to maneuver. But after seeing a guy in a pickup pulling a boat go through a McDonald's drive-through I figured it was safe for me to get my coffee there.
Pat(ricia)
9pb9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 08:50 AM   #15

I am a woman and have no problem driving my van after taking two 4 wheel drive classes. The classes were a must in my case as is the back up camera.

Angel
2006 Chalet LTW 15ft. Folding Travel Trailer 14 in. tires
Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 09:01 AM   #16

Garage

One of the first things we did after getting our van was to take the same 4x4 driving class as Angel, though at a later time. My wife was comfortable driving the van on the highway but I wanted her to get a feel for it off-road too. She bounced through the first gully and said, "No thanks!" She was a good sport though and rode as a passenger as I drove the rest of the Hungry Valley practice course. She still doesn't like the feeling of bouncing and tilting around off-road, but at least she knows what to expect.

My wife refused to drive our Westfalia. Having a second driver is just another item in a long list of benefits of owning a Sportsmobile instead.

Steve in L.A.
Old 02-11-2012, 12:27 PM   #17

Location: Rancho Nuevo (Cabo/Todos Santos) B.C.S. and San Diego, CA

My wife looks hot driving our SMB, she turns a lot of heads in it - has to be her. She can drive anything we own, including towing our 30' Toy Hauler with the F250 CC. 39 years driving and not even a parking ticket - if I could just get her to drive a little faster, I'm way too impatient to be going 65 Mph.

AgileOffRoad.com
BajaSportsmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 11:11 PM   #18

Being so high up 65 mph seems like 40. Drives me nuts too.
Ketcham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 02:16 AM   #19

Wife's 1st drive..

It's funny. I was a bit saucy while she was driving and we were listening to dub step and I looked over and said, " you look hot driving this" and she said " I do? Thanks". Haha. we got the Subaru back so no more driving the SMB for her, at least for a while.