Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-31-2014, 08:46 AM   #1

Winches.......not wenches

I know this subject has been covered here but I need a little advice and input on a new addition to the van. I have read several older winch threads and a ton of them on other forums. I recently got a Reunel bumper with a winch mount. I want to add a winch but don't need a $1600 top-o-the-line Warn. I have a budget of around $600 for this. I had pretty much decided to get a Smittybilt 15k for about $650 but then I came across this:

http://www.warn.com/truck/winches/VR12000_winch.shtml

It's an entry level Warn but it is a Warn. These can be had for about $650. It's also a little bit lighter duty (12k) than I wanted but again, it's a Warn. I will rarely use it anyway. My van is about 9500# fully loaded, but I guess it will be about 10k after I add the Reunel bumpers. I'm not sure how they construct a bumper out of lead but they do.

I have read many threads on the pros/cons of Chinese built winches, which seems to be pretty much everything except Warn. Really the only pro I can find on any of them is price. I like the idea of buying the Warn name and reputation and of course parts/support if I ever need it.

Is this a big enough winch?

Other thoughts?

Thanks

86Scotty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 11:03 AM   #2

Garage
Re: Winches.......not wenches

My van has the warn 12000 on it with Reunel bumper. It has already saved my rear once. The 12000 is plenty and you can always uses a snatch block to increase it. Then only down side is you can not go with synthetic line. The drum heats up too much on a reverse pull. I talked with warn and they are working on a line with the first few feet covered for protection.

TexGX
2006 Casita (Makes it a three bedroom 1 and 1/2 bath)
TexGX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 11:46 AM   #3

Garage

I went with a Warn Xeon 12. Was lucky enough to buy one for $662 after finding a "Used like new" on Amazon when they were offering a $200 rebate. Whatever model you choose make sure you install the appropriate gauge wire since they pull 435 amps at full load. No sense having a 12000lb winch that only has enough juice to pull 10000lbs.

My install

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=13646&hilit=+warn
Old 07-31-2014, 04:19 PM   #4

Thanks, good info there about the synthetic line. I guess that's just on the VR series winches?

Nice score and install Tapatio. That winch is about $1200 currently.

It sounds like most winches come with 6' of 2 guage cable. I will probably just run that to the battery for now, but I do love the idea of Powerpole connectors and a trick jumper cable set up.

Old 07-31-2014, 04:38 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty
...It sounds like most winches come with 6' of 2 guage cable. I will probably just run that to the battery for now, but I do love the idea of Powerpole connectors and a trick jumper cable set up.

If you don't want to invest in your own Powerpole crimpers, or don't know of anyone local to build your cables for you, Powerwerx makes custom cables and does a really nice job.

http://www.powerwerx.com/adapter-cables ... -cable.asp

Herb
Old 07-31-2014, 06:26 PM   #6

Thanks Herb
Old 07-31-2014, 06:55 PM   #7
Site Team

Garage

I've had Master Pull synthetic on my Warn for years and love it. It was expensive though. I'm not using a Hawse and just am careful while using it. Maybe one of these days I'll upgrade to a different fairlead. Installation is fairly straight forward.
http://www.masterpull.com/how-to-instal ... inch-line/

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 08:03 PM   #8
Site Team

Before I ordered my winch, I talked to both Thor from Viking Oiffroad, and Bill Burke. Both recommended a roller fairlead when using synthetic line, unless there was a big concern over approach/ departure angle.

Herb
Old 07-31-2014, 08:09 PM   #9
Site Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoHauler
Before I ordered my winch, I talked to both Thor from Viking Oiffroad, and Bill Burke. Both recommended a roller fairlead when using synthetic line, unless there was a big concern over approach/ departure angle.

Herb
I agree Herb. You need to be careful. They actually make roller fairleads designed for synthetic rope. I just watch the corners getting pinched. With all the other things that are more important, replacement is low on the list.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 07:22 AM   #10

Very cool Dave. I'm still hoping to gather some more feedback on this winch. I really hate to lay out this much money on something I will hardly ever use but I know when you need one it is priceless. Is anyone here running a Warn VR series?