Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-26-2013, 11:10 AM   #11

Garage
Re: Windows: Sizes, numbers, location, type, etc…?

We have thought about putting security cameras outside the van so we can see what's going on from inside. And maybe a remote control spotlight.

Old 12-01-2013, 04:55 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance
One of the issues I have problems with on vans is the elevation of windows. If low enough to see out while seated a person would be looking at ground while standing (unless person is on short side).

Any ideas on how you guys have worked around this?
This is where a penthouse top excels. When standing, you have unlimited views out of the van.

Cheers,
Brent
Old 12-01-2013, 06:01 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb
If passengers will be riding in the back, more/bigger is better
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb
Depends on the vehicle and what kind of layout you want. I wanted a E-350 EB-50 layout as my van. So I was very limited to where the windows were to be placed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhally
When designing our van, we placed the windows for ventilation while sleeping and for giving the back seat passengers "some" outside view.
When we designed our van, we were very conscious of views out of the rear passenger area. We have a modified EB50 design, and added a large window on the drivers' side right beside the rear bench. It was a trade-off with storage, but we felt visibility was more important. Even if we had gone for a more standard EB50 layout, with sink and cabinets instead of our side-facing seat, we would have incorporated a large window somehow. Not only is it great during travel for our six-year old son, who sits on the left side of the rear bench, but it is also great for light and views while camped.

You need to determine your priorities and work from there. I think it's a balance between windows and interior layout - I don't think one should come first.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Brent
Old 12-02-2013, 07:21 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwteleman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance
One of the issues I have problems with on vans is the elevation of windows. If low enough to see out while seated a person would be looking at ground while standing (unless person is on short side).

Any ideas on how you guys have worked around this?
This is where a penthouse top excels. When standing, you have unlimited views out of the van.

Cheers,
Brent
Agree this is the case with Ford and Chevy vans because a typical person's head would be quite above roof if standing. With Sprinter or ProMaster low-roof vans our line of sight while standing is right at original roof elevation.

I like the idea of a low roof PM with Penthouse roof because it would be garageable, but visibility is a concern - among others.
Chance is offline   Reply With Quote