Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-10-2021, 07:59 AM   #41
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianW View Post
You can actually upsize to a 26” on the driver side, 24” on passenger. Just did it on my 2011, and also previously on my 1998 vans.
Aquapel 1,000.000% over that crappy Rain-X! ")

Being in the W/S biz mostly on big trucks but also driving various E-Series from 2000 to 2005 I'm not sure I'd use 26" or 24" blades on either side. What are you really seeing any better with those lengths? Unless you're star gazing or watching for approaching aircraft we don't tend to look that high up on the windshield.

The curvature of the windshield on the right side when in the parked position has blades longer than 22" raised off the glass and don't start wiping until a few inches upward in the travel.

I can't say for certain those too long blades add stress to the wiper motor and linkages but its a consideration. ALSO having fairly new or fresh wiper arms is advisable as they keep the blades more firmly against the glass.

I'd recommend no more than 22" at most. YMMV

JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 09:19 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWA View Post
What are you really seeing any better with those lengths?
For me, when I'm driving the question is, what is there NOT to see? Driving a "motorhome", I want to be able to see as far as I can in all directions.

I used to own a '94 Dodge camper. I hated the small windshield and especially the small side windows. My E250 has much better visibility up front.

Also of note, visibility factors into safety. The better the visibility, the safer the experience.
N147JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 09:27 AM   #43
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Quote:
Originally Posted by N147JK View Post
For me, when I'm driving the question is, what is there NOT to see? Driving a "motorhome", I want to be able to see as far as I can in all directions.

I used to own a '94 Dodge camper. I hated the small windshield and especially the small side windows. My E250 has much better visibility up front.

Also of note, visibility factors into safety. The better the visibility, the safer the experience.
And again I ask what do you think you'll see more of with wiper blades that are too long?

Visibility is already limited in an E-Series unless you're driving a 9 or 15 passenger people mover van.

Run what you think is best---I'm just saying blades that long really don't make a difference and as I also say could affect the wiper arm linkage/motor assembly.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 09:56 AM   #44

I run 22" and agree that I wouldn't be gaining anything by running a 24 or larger. At the resting position, I don't think the passenger side would be touching the windshield. But I also don't deal with severe weather, so...?