Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-19-2009, 08:54 PM   #11

Re: Winter Camping

I don't think SMB will install the gas version.

Old 02-20-2009, 10:47 AM   #12

We have the propane furnace in our SMB and it does pretty well. However, i would advise to leave the penthouse closed when you get down to below freezing temps. The heat escapes bigtime if you leave it up. I learned this a few months ago when we camped in -17 temps. Next time i will leave the top down to hold the heat in.
2003 Baja Tan SMB EB DYO 7.3 Diesel

Tread Lightly! Trainer
Pack it in Pack it Out>>>> https://www.trasharoo.com
adventureduo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 11:56 AM   #13

Reflectix works well for the top in 2 ways, when it's up you line the canvas and it provides some extra insulation. When it's down, if you store the reflectix between top and PH bed it provides some extra insulation just through the top itself. Not sure how big an effect it makes because the PO had 1" foam board insulation cut and installed in the PH (which I still have above the front light).
Old 02-20-2009, 02:20 PM   #14

Seattle,

I have the Espar diesel furnace and would recommend it. It does have a thermostat and will cycle on and off based on the temperature inside the van, although it has does seem to have a degree or so swing. A small electric heater would be fine if you left the top down but may not have quite enough output to keep you warm if the temp drops into the 20's. Also I would not want to depend only on the electric heat because what happens if you don't get a hook up spot, or want to spend a weekend a Crystal or other ski area that doesn't have hookups.

Based on the fuel consumption number is the Espar manual the furnace only used a little over .1 gal per hour on the high setting which it is usually in only for a short time while the van is getting up to temp., so it doesn't really use much fuel. I have run mine for 4 days straight and it only used 3-4 gal of fuel.

We live just South of Seattle in Normandy Park (between Burien and Des Moines) and if you want to come by and take a look at our SMB shoot me an email and we can arrange something.

John
Old 03-12-2009, 11:04 PM   #15

Hi there Seattle,
I have to second my husband's post (wannaSMB). We LOVE the furnace. It actually seems a bit indulgent to be so warm while winter camping.

We got lots of great tips on keeping kids warm and happy from another forum member (I'll have to wrack my brain to remember who it was). All in all, lots of long underwear for the kids, get them to wear hats (we ended up getting bunny hats from LandsEnd that finally worked), and flannel sheets. Oh, and the dog sleeping on the bed helped too.

Have fun!
mamaupupup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 01:33 PM   #16

Hi wannaSMB, Are you still out there? Can you tell me if this Lasko heater that you like:

"With shore power, a little electric space heater was PLENTY. Used this guy, which we got from amazon for something like $17. http://www.laskoproducts.com/heaters/model_5420.html.
"
automatically turns off if tipped over? We have one that does, but it is a little big for use in the SMB. Thanks!
Electrical: 4 cf fridge, nuker, water heater, compressor
Propane: stove top, furnace Travel: https://www.lugnutlife.wordpress.com
coyotearms is offline   Reply With Quote