Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-28-2011, 03:05 PM   #1

Winter camping question

Getting ready for a few day trip up north and wonder if any tips for preventing humidity or mold if winter camping with top up, heat on. Just guessing, but does humidity form inside penthouse top? What do you do to prevent this or keep it from becoming a problem?

When using diesel furnace do you open any window a crack or leave everything closed?

thanks!

2010 SMB
www.xtrememobileadventures.com
Carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 03:42 PM   #2

Re: Winter camping question

On previous campers we had moisture problems, but never with the SMB. I'm guessing the canvas top breathes quite well.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 04:34 PM   #3

thanks Mike.

When you run furnace for the night, do you open any vent/window?

2010 SMB
www.xtrememobileadventures.com
Carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 05:16 PM   #4

Winter camping question

Carl

My propane furnace vents to the outside just like the one at home. No moisture or fumes are introduced into the living area. So no condensation problems.

Cooking in he van is another issue. When cooking moisture is released from the food and water boiling into the living area and then it can condense on cold surfaces. I usually have a penthouse window open a crack to help vent the moisture.

Larrie
89 Ford 2WD penthouse
larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 05:33 PM   #5

We don't run the furnace at night. A warm down comforter is what we use. It has been down to 18 inside the van in the morning, but the furnace quickly warms that up.

Put water in the teakettle the night before so you don't have to run the water pump right away. After the interior is warm wait a couple hours and then our water has always worked.

Even the moisture in our breath hasn't caused condensation inside.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 09:53 PM   #6

I run the furnace with no cracked windows, however when it's cold we keep the top down anyway.

CO detector is a must!
Old 12-29-2011, 10:25 AM   #7

Garage

We have a propane furnace and fixed top and keep the temperature 40-50F at night. We always get quite a bit of condensation inside the windows, even though we keep a vent cracked. We use towels and the auto defroster to dry it up before driving.
Old 12-29-2011, 10:08 PM   #8
Site Team

Garage

I have ran the Espar diesel cab heater with windows closed and the top up but have never with the top down. As a rule, I like keeping a light cool breeze on my face. I also try to keep the window by the fridge cracked just to try to keep it from cycling more often...don't really know if it works though. I was able to keep it warm enough (for me) in 8 degree weather with the top up and the heater thottled up to 3/4. I'm told it's better to run them towards med-med high anyway. I do use a 0* sleeping bag up top. Some members line the canvas with Reflectix insulation in cold weather. I do reflectix in the windows.

Have fun on your trip...gotta love the cold weather.

Dave

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 09:43 AM   #9

We have a Suburban propane heater. We tend to run it in the evening and first thing in the AM but not over nite. Heater or no heater, we always keep at least one corner of one penthouse window open about 6" and folded back in on itself.

We also use Reflectrix (sp?) panel inserts in the penthouse windows and side windows plus the standard SMB curtain up front if we need privacy or more heat retention. The Reflectrix also works great in the summer to keep the penthouse cooler.
Old 01-14-2012, 02:24 PM   #10

Okay, its a sunny -6F today in Anchorage, AK (insert picture of a loopy smilie with earmuffs, scarf and steamy breath here). We are so far, patiently waiting for spring and our new SMB West Sprinter with Espar 5 hydronic to be ready to drive out of the SMB shop and head north. I was wondering if anyone knows what the glycol freeze point is for the Espar loop liquid is suppose to be or can I specify that with SMB when they install? Don't want a freeze up mess next winter when its in an unheated garage. Yes I know i will have to drain or protect the domestic lines, but whats the F temp story on the Espar X loop? should it be drained too? Does the heater work with the loop drained?
Sorry I looked through a lot of Espar threads on this site but maybe there is a discussion I missed that some one can point me too. Thnx.
Spenard is offline   Reply With Quote