Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-19-2011, 02:59 PM   #1

Winterizing Questions for Garaged Sportsmobile

Looking for advice and comments on the need for, and extent of, winterizing my Sprinter Sportsmobile.

1. When not in use, it's parked in a heated garage (natural gas, with backup house generator for heater fan).
2. It is plugged into 30A shore power (not on backup generator)
3. It will be used from time to time during the winter for short trips, though not on bitterly cold days.
4. Winter temperatures usually go down into the 20s, occasionally the 10s, perhaps once a season into the single digits. Most days the highs are in the 30s and 40s, though sometimes in the 20s.

Will I create problems for myself if I do the following (though not in this order):

1. Drain the tanks.
2. Drain the hot water heater.
3. Put antifreeze into the distribution lines (via the water pump), the water pump, and manually into the drain traps, the black water tank, and the two gray water tanks.
4. Not blow out the lines because I don't have a compressor.

I can't imagine temperatures in the garage dropping below 40 (newly built, well insulated). My concern is if I take a local trip and am parked outside for more than an hour.

As usual, many thanks in advance for your replies. People on this forum are genuinely helpful, and I hope that in the future I'll accumulate enough experience to be similarly useful to other novices.

bluesprinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 06:26 PM   #2

I your garage big enough for two? Mine is going to be outside on the cold and wet with a cover over it. I am envious.

Larrie
89 Ford RB
larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 06:50 PM   #3

Re: Winterizing Questions for Garaged Sportsmobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrie
I your garage big enough for two? Mine is going to be outside on the cold and wet with a cover over it. I am envious.

Larrie
89 Ford RB
After looking into outside storage, I decided I didn't want to deal with covers, especially as I plan to use it off and on during the winter months as transportation (my mother, who has some hip problems, finds it easier to get into and out of the Sportsmobile compared to the SUVs, minivans and lowslung cars in the extended family). And I wanted to minimize insect and creature invasion. And I wanted to make winterizing easier (I hope, hence the question). And I figure a garage-kept vehicle retains better value. The garage itself wasn't the big cost. The township requires storm water management systems if the impermeable area on the property is increased. THAT was a lot of digging and expense (but worth it, considering that the previous downspout runoff was swamping the lawn and making a mess). The challenge was fitting it into the limits of setbacks, distance from house, etc, etc. Here's a photo, before the door was installed and before the pavers were put down.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_8011s.JPG  
Old 09-19-2011, 07:18 PM   #4

If I put mine in the Garage the solar panels won't work the batteries will go dead and the fridge will stop working AND the BEER will get warm. I'll just keep shoveling the Sunshine off my windshield here in Coastal Central CA.

Paul
Old 09-19-2011, 07:26 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbonesclimber
If I put mine in the Garage the solar panels won't work the batteries will go dead and the fridge will stop working AND the BEER will get warm. I'll just keep shoveling the Sunshine off my windshield here in Coastal Central CA.

Paul
Totally different batch of problems!! Maybe I can store your beer here for you in our ice and snow. Can't guarantee how much will make the return trip in the spring time.
Old 09-19-2011, 07:44 PM   #6

Nice looking garage. Most towns now have the owner of new construction do storm water management. It is all part of keeping the creek from rising and being green.

Larrie
89 Ford RB
larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 09:25 PM   #7
Site Team

Garage

Cheap vodka in the tanks mixed with the water. Lowers the freezing temp and is easier to flush out.

My 2cents

Most the time the Copilot is Now Sophie dog the noise maker.

2000 7.3 PS Quigley/RB30 with a 6 window poptop.
Gooseberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 06:27 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooseberry
Cheap vodka in the tanks mixed with the water. Lowers the freezing temp and is easier to flush out.

My 2cents
Sounds like a year-round solution.
But not the cheap stuff.
Old 09-20-2011, 07:40 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesprinter
Quote:

My 2cents
But not the cheap stuff.
It's for your van.
Old 09-20-2011, 07:57 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesprinter
Quote:

My 2cents
But not the cheap stuff.
It's for your van.
Imagine how impressed people would be when I ask if they'd like a drink, they say yes, I turn to the faucet, they think they're going to be disappointed with water, and I hand them a glass of vodka. What's the freezing point of beer?