Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-10-2020, 09:41 AM   #1

Wiring for Penthouse Add Ons

I know some of you have gone for the boywonder style canvas trim and headliner retrofit. I’m curious if you’d suggest adding additional access panels to help with running wires after the fact and where would be the beat place to put them.

Maybe making the headliner panel with a cutout for the padded blocks so it can come down without removing them?

I’m at fan, light strips, solar at some point and backup camera so far but I’m sure I’ll want to add something else in the future.

On the topic of headliners, does the single sheet of reflectix actually do anything? Would there be enough space to do a half or 1 inch spacing and stuff it with havelock wool?

Thanks again!

Justgosurfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 11:42 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justgosurfin View Post
Maybe making the headliner panel with a cutout for the padded blocks so it can come down without removing them?

I’m at fan, light strips, solar at some point and backup camera so far but I’m

If you make cut-outs for the padded blocks then you'll need screws around the perimeter of the headliner to hold it up....

My headliner is held in place by the padded blocks only ......no other exposed screw heads.

I used the SMB plastic panel joiner thing in the middle of my headliner; if I was doing it again I would place the headliner seam under one of the padded blocks. I'm pretty sure member scalf77 did his headliner this way. This way you only have the plastic panel joiner on either side of the padded blocks...looks very clean.

Run sufficient gauge solar wire the first time....don't ask me how I know this.....PITA.

If I were doing my headliner again I would also ditch the rectangular ceiling lights and put LED lights on the padded blocks.....much more updated look.
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 01:32 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by boywonder View Post
If you make cut-outs for the padded blocks then you'll need screws around the perimeter of the headliner to hold it up....

My headliner is held in place by the padded blocks only ......no other exposed screw heads.

I used the SMB plastic panel joiner thing in the middle of my headliner; if I was doing it again I would place the headliner seam under one of the padded blocks. I'm pretty sure member scalf77 did his headliner this way. This way you only have the plastic panel joiner on either side of the padded blocks...looks very clean.

Run sufficient gauge solar wire the first time....don't ask me how I know this.....PITA.

If I were doing my headliner again I would also ditch the rectangular ceiling lights and put LED lights on the padded blocks.....much more updated look.

Thanks for the tips.

Now that I’m thinking of it. I might do a cutout and then use 3m industrial Velcro to hold them up. It has thicker plastic hooks and loops with adhesive on the back. It’s what we use on the yacht I work on to hold up the headliner panels.

For lighting, the current plan is to use led strips or preferably the led neon looking strips but they’re still pretty $$. I can’t remember whose thread used some scored plexiglass up there too. Click image for larger version

Name:	Adjustments.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	84.0 KB
ID:	35596

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2020-09-10-15:31:19-823.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	35595
Old 09-10-2020, 01:33 PM   #4

Quote:

Do you have an idea of how “thick” the headliner can be and still sit ok when the top is down?
Old 09-10-2020, 02:33 PM   #5

Quote:
Do you have an idea of how “thick” the headliner can be and still sit ok when the top is down?

..Depends on how thick you want your bed.....

Mine is 1/8" baltic birch and covered with foam backed headliner material. This ends up with a little space above the bed cushions with the top down....not much space. My bed is above 5" thick including the supporting frame...4" of foam and upholstery and 1" of wood base.
2003 Honda Element
Old 09-10-2020, 09:40 PM   #6

Quote:
..Depends on how thick you want your bed.....

Mine is 1/8" baltic birch and covered with foam backed headliner material. This ends up with a little space above the bed cushions with the top down....not much space. My bed is above 5" thick including the supporting frame...4" of foam and upholstery and 1" of wood base.
Ok thanks. I'll measure and see what the SMB cushions are.

Do you get much wear on the headliner where the cross bars touch it? I suppose adding thickness would effectively be raising the roof height, eventually needing a longer canvas...
Old 09-11-2020, 07:52 AM   #7

Quote:
Ok thanks. I'll measure and see what the SMB cushions are.

Do you get much wear on the headliner where the cross bars touch it? I suppose adding thickness would effectively be raising the roof height, eventually needing a longer canvas...

My crossbars don't touch the headliner...
2003 Honda Element
Old 09-11-2020, 09:53 AM   #8

Quote:
My crossbars don't touch the headliner...

I took mine apart so quickly I forgot what they touch to hold the top up. I guess there’s a board across the upper side of the padded block? I’ll look back through your pics.

I definitely had some marks on the headliner though. I wonder if I should split the crossbar and put another chromoly tube insert up there too.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9988.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	35609
Old 09-11-2020, 01:15 PM   #9

Chrome molly bar inserts

If you do this could you let me know what the tubing size is? I cant get an answer from SMB Fresno and I dont want to pull everything apart to measure I.D. and leave my van out of use till I get support bars sourced Thanks, Monte
Greyswann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 02:03 PM   #10

Quote:
I took mine apart so quickly I forgot what they touch to hold the top up. I guess there’s a board across the upper side of the padded block? I’ll look back through your pics.

I definitely had some marks on the headliner though. I wonder if I should split the crossbar and put another chromoly tube insert up there too.
Attachment 35609

Yes there is a piece of 1/4" or 3/8" plywood across the top of the padded block that the crossbars pivot/slide on...it's been awhile.

I'm not sure sleeving the top section will accomplish much. The tubing is supported most of it's length except fort a few inches before the bends on each side.
2003 Honda Element