Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-28-2020, 10:28 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty View Post
Tons of people are doing it and making a tidy profit doing so but they are mostly in 'van world', being the Rockies or the west coast.

I did one almost solely to flip for profit once but it wasn't nearly worth the time spent. If you do this you need to consider the worth to you personally of learning as you go, which is priceless if you have the time.

Keep in mind there will be 'gotchas', mistakes and frustration. If it helps at all after all of the vans I've built, flipped, improved while owning or whatever I do not think it's worth the time and effort to do so anymore. YMMV as with every other hobby or side gig.
Funny that you commented Eric! It's partly your fault because I got this wild hair after your "Rusty" thread!

Part of the reason to do this is that I always want to improve. I did an ok job on my current van but see every place where I could improve. With that knowledge and proper tools I know I could do a lot better.

I currently live in PA right now so outside the popular area. I did sell my built up Tacoma sight unseen to a guy in Utah who had it shipped to him. I think nowadays it isn't that hard to ship a vehicle if you have the money.

You all about have me convinced though.

RememberTheFallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 10:35 AM   #12

With all of this being said, I have to ask probably the most annoying question asked on this forum (maybe other than "gas vs diesel"?)

What do you all think is a good starting point for asking price? And a realistic price I would expect to get.

2005 E350 6.0 76k miles. Cargo. Power windows, locks, rear A/C. Stock engine other than cleaned turbo. Interior is in fair condition. Some surface rust but nothing severe. Started off with good service records at dealership but looks like county shop took over in 2010. Everything has been labeled with date stickers so they look like they stayed on top of things
Only thing I have added is Edge CTS monitor.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200924_172152.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	98.2 KB
ID:	36077
Old 09-28-2020, 04:12 PM   #13

If you're really interested in doing something like this, I think converting vans for people who already own their vans would be the best way to go. That way you're not taking a re-sale risk on the van itself. If you stick to a relatively narrow range of van models, you could develop a modular approach so everything doesn't have to be custom fit each time.
BCam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 04:30 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCam View Post
If you're really interested in doing something like this, I think converting vans for people who already own their vans would be the best way to go. That way you're not taking a re-sale risk on the van itself. If you stick to a relatively narrow range of van models, you could develop a modular approach so everything doesn't have to be custom fit each time.
No interest in doing this other than for the van I already own. I do not have the work space or start up capital (or desire) to become a vehicle upfitter. Just trying not to incur a loss on a vehicle that I had bought to convert for myself but changed my mind on.
Old 09-28-2020, 06:06 PM   #15
KDB

In agreement with 86Scotty. Having just finished up a build i can say it's cost far more than i anticipated.

If you have a clean and cost effective build design (on the minimalist side) you could definitely make a few bucks. HOw well you compensated for your time is another issue, however.
KDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 06:22 PM   #16

I can't comment on the 4x4 part of this proposal, but I have some thoughts on the conversion part.

As a buyer, I have yet to see a pre-built conversion that I would be willing to pay for. They are either way overdone with stuff I don't want or too basic (think jerry cans instead of a real water system with gray water tank). Then there are layout issues, like where the bed is and how high. I chose a Sportsmobile because I could get exactly what I wanted and nothing that I didn't want. If you are converting for yourself, then is your goal to have the conversion, or the experience of doing the conversion?

As for the van itself, it may be worth some rust repair and a repaint. That's like fixing up a house in order to sell, but doing more is like adding a wing in hopes that it matches a buyer's tastes.

Personally, I would sure think hard before giving up the diesel (even if it is a 6.0). Just my 2 cents worth. I hope it is helpful.
Klompen is offline   Reply With Quote