Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-29-2017, 07:20 PM   #1

WOW, Very scary incident

This is a friends van. He had his wheels rotated, and on the way home, one of them passed him on the freeway. He's really lucky this didn't end much worse. Make sure you check your lug nuts once in a while, and definately after work has been done.
Attached Thumbnails
gavins van.jpg  

Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 07:54 PM   #2

I've posted this one before, we've all see it, but...

gcvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 08:41 PM   #3

Years ago I had a pair of front tires installed on a company car at a big local tire store. When I got the car back, it did not feel right, pulling hard to one side. I checked the pressure, and it had 6psi on one side, and 55 psi on the other.

These guys have more than enough experience to do things like this right. The problem is that they are under pressure to work fast, they can have high employee turnover, and poor workers may not be adequately monitored.. all amounting to a recipe for slipshod work.

I like to do as much of my own work as possible. I may take 5 or even 10 times as long to do a job, but t least I know what I did. While the 'lug nuts' case is a dramatic example, it is not terribly surprising..

Pretty much everyone will step on their 'willy' once in a while.
I usually make it a point to stop and put on my golf shoes first..
E-rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 08:56 PM   #4
Site Team

Garage
I had some jerks attempt to rip off my Impala rims. I saw the hub cap off but never thought about them trying to pull the whole tire/wheel. I lost the wheel doing about 65 in a turn on a downhill slope. Guess the lugs were loose when they tried to get the wheel off somebody disturbed em. Lucky me.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 10:02 PM   #5

I had work done on the Nissan Titan I used to own at a local NIssan dealer and about a mile out of the dealership I felt something wrong on the front end. I pulled over into a lot and found one tire almost off. They forgot to put lug nuts back on one tire. They ended up having to replace a rim but it could have been much worse.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 01-29-2017, 11:17 PM   #6

I had a local shop mount new wheels and tires on my '99 E350 EB50 Quigley 4x4 back in the day. Then I drove down to SFO to pick up my girlfriend. On our way back north, something didn't feel right in the passenger rear. I lifted off the throttle and moved over to the paved shoulder. We had slowed to about 35 when the right rear wheel sheared the lugs off.

At least we had a Sportsmobile. We took a nap while we waited for the tow truck.
SteelheadJones is offline   Reply With Quote