Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-14-2021, 11:08 AM   #11

Thanks 1der!

We were on the coast in the Monterey Big Sur area for the month of October with lots of cool damp air and fog in the evenings; along with warm sunny days. I'm guessing this was a material contributing factor.

I did check underneath and tried the light trick that so many have advised over the years on this great advice site; everything looks buttoned up.

Interesting that you have a non-metal box; I would think that would help much over our metal box. I'm liking your liner material thinking and will cook this into my thinking as I poke away at the moisture deal.

And yup, we have two drain holes in the box that look to be solid and intact with no moisture in these areas.

Again, thank you all! Best, Em -

bec_n_em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2021, 05:25 AM   #12
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
From the shooting sports world comes storage bags and wrapping that works very well inhibiting rust formation of firearms etc. Check out this site for a more thorough listing and explanation: https://www.armorvci.com/

FWIW my steel tools stored on my van are in sliding drawer tool boxes meaning they are not enclosed in areas where air cannot flow albeit quite slowly. Because the air is free to move humidity is free to come and go as ambient conditions change--the van sits outside all year around. I would think a semi-sealed box would trap humidity leading to bare steel tools etc rusting. I also carry bare steel single edge razor blades that never rust either---typically those don't survive damp or high humidity conditions very well.

Hope any of this helps.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2021, 07:24 AM   #13

Garage
You may also consider “coating” your tools with a rust inhibitor, I use this stuff on my undercarriage twice a year and I have no rust developing in 6.5yrs of East Coast living. They claim it lasts a year between applications, but I spray every 6 months.
Old 11-15-2021, 08:52 AM   #14

Felix, JWA, Dave, Ray, and Brian, brilliant ideas, thank you all!

Some VCI sheets, WD-40 LTCI, gel rust remover, as well as a couple of buckets of chem dehumidifiers purchased, experiments to follow.

Still thinking the biggest contributor to the condensation/rust issues was the Monterey Peninsula/Big Sur area where we were for the month of October with sunny 75F+ days and evenings pushing 100% humidity, 50F with thick ocean fog rolling in causing everything to be dripping with moisture.

A beautiful part of the world with unexpected consequences. Regardless, well worth the condensation troubles as it was a great trip!

Best, Em -
bec_n_em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 12:55 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twoxentrix View Post
Probably not the answer for your rear storage box, but I use the Caframo in the Van when its not being used - also worked great in the cabin of our boat.

https://www.amazon.com/Caframo-Limit...UMIDIFIER&th=1
I use a similar one from the marine world. It’s 18” square and 100 watts, no fan just convection. I just leave it on in the van, works well keeping things dry.
2019 Yeti SB130 Turq Race X01
Steve Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote