Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-10-2010, 12:53 PM   #21

Re: Yella Fella STOLEN...

I just called RAVELCO phone # 1-866-664-6894, and they are installing it on Friday, March 12, 2010, at my house, for $422.95 plus tax. I got the AAA auto club discount.

I read that they cannot install it with a alarm that has remote engine start. I cannot find an alarm, with a one mile range pager, that does not have remote engine start.

I asked Rich @ RAVELCO and he said "No problem with insulation with remote engine start. You just have to choose each time leave the SMB= Do I want to have it protected by RAVELCO and take the RAVELCO "key" with me, or, do I want remote start and leave the RAVELCO "key" in the SMB."

Rich thinks crooks can get in, reach under dash and disable the alarm before it goes off and notifies you via the pager. Then they can steel your stuff but not your SMB with the RAVELCO. He thought a lot of the Alarms, VIPER, etc. were good and made by the same manufacture but having a good installer was the most important thing and all connections are better if soldered instead of using 3M clips.

They installed one, this week, in a SMB in Sonoma county. Anyone here on the Forum?

Angel

2006 Chalet LTW 15ft. Folding Travel Trailer 14 in. tires
Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 01:57 PM   #22

I would suggest not mounting the alarm override button under the dash like the instructions say. Because, the thieves will find it. Put it somewhere else in the van, like behind an interior body panel.
Old 03-10-2010, 02:10 PM   #23

You should invest the time to read this thread before you invest in the RAVELCO. I picked this out of a fair amount of information that doesn't seem to support RAVELCO's claims. In fact I believe it would be fairly easy to build a bypass system (which is what I was researching in the first place).

http://www.honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=2069021

If you don't have time for the whole thing skip to page 4. The synopsis from professional installers, including those who have bypassed the system, is that it's an expensive version of a kill switch and not worth the $350 installed (noting that prices must have gone up since 2007...)
Old 03-10-2010, 03:02 PM   #24

I hope they find it. One of the first things I did when I got my SMB was to install security. I installed lojack and a 1 mile pager system from viper. I also use a steering wheel lock.
Old 03-10-2010, 03:30 PM   #25

On my rig, there's no bolt holding the gear shift on... it comes right off in your hand. When I showed my little sister, she said that it was a great anti-theft feature... Can't take a rig if you can't put it in gear.
Zaskoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 11:06 PM   #26

I have always thought a kill switch on the fuel pump would be hardest to overcome for a theif. I've also thought about having a delay of maybe 5 min. or 2 miles after you hit the switch, before it cuts out, (don't know if this is possible) so that a would be car jacker (say in Baja Norte), would get far enough away from a safety stand point, but still close enough by to possibly recover your rig. I know, I'm paranoid....
campervanbeethoven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 09:21 AM   #27

I have been told by the alarm installer that it is no longer legal for them to install a delay switch to shut down the engine because it could cause an accident-such as shutting down in the middle of the freeway. Think: law suit for alarm installer. They do install something that if the engine is turned off, (or stopped? I have to ck this out) it will not start again.

I put RAVELCO on hold for this week. I and am going to get an alarm with a pager first and look into other anti start options which the person who is installing my alarm said he can do.

Note: If you forget to turn the "fuel off" switch back on, You would be the one stranded in a bad situation and no power breaks or power steering.

Angel
2006 Chalet LTW 15ft. Folding Travel Trailer 14 in. tires
Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 10:57 AM   #28

with the talk of all this...

my 6,9 diesel uses 3 wires to energize the injector pump...one is the fuel cut off...all diesels are equipped with these...basicaly since you dont have an "ignition" (sparkplugs) the only way to shut them down is to starve the motor for fuel..hence they have a syilanoid (spelling) that just shuts the fuel off...

so how hard would it be to just find that wire..and hook up your own switch/fob for it...heck it could even be something as incospicuious as a 12volt plugin that just runs thru the plug (think cigarette lighter thats a dummy and completes the circut?...ya know the "power port")

that way you pull the cig plug and lay it in the ashtray (if yer lucky enough to STILL HAVE an ashtray..)...then the kill switch is in plain sight..the key for it is in plain sight...and NOBODY has a clue but those you tell (or if your gonna lend someone *GASP* borrow your rig..just tell them to not pull the cig lighter out otherwise the van wont start)...or just leave it installed for the duration of their use??

HOWEVER..if you accidently plug it into the REAL cig plug..it will pop the fuse..and then ya know someone was foolin around in yer rig..(darn kids..)

85 E250 Turbo 6.9 vegiburner
92 explorer (well the vin tag and body skins are anyway)
09 jeep wrangler unlimted...for walmart wheelin!!

nothing scares my wife like my boredom and a welder!!
wanderer351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 01:14 PM   #29

www.emergingent.com The best fuel kill switch. I've had them for years, no problem plus they are easy to install.

AL
biggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 02:30 PM   #30

I'd wager that van is in TJ by now and bathed in a different color (or just parted out). I'll keep a look out for it nonetheless, not that I could do anything about it if I spotted it. Bummer.