Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-11-2010, 02:45 PM   #31
Site Team

Garage
Re: Yella Fella STOLEN...

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggie
http://www.emergingent.com The best fuel kill switch. I've had them for years, no problem plus they are easy to install.

AL
Interesting site. The start kill module looks OK depending how it works. Personally I don't want anything that messes with the fuel unless it limits speed while allowing the engine to run. As long as the vehicle will not start when the device is activated is fine but while I’m driving (especially on a steep grade) I don't really want the engine to die. I've had this happen on a boat launch...almost a disaster with the trailer AND vehicle heading towards the deep. In an off road situation it could be hazardous as well. There is no way I would want to hit a remote switch to kill my stolen vehicle if the thief is driving on Filbert Street in San Francisco.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 04:55 PM   #32

Hey dave,

I have the kill switch on my van, chevy duramax, and two toyota tundras. Never had a performance problem or engine shut off. The only hassle is when i bring it in for service and the tech. can't figure out how to start it.
biggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 08:19 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed in Montana
Jessenej, I'm pretty sure that was Benjamin Franklin that said that. Unless his quote was stolen by Thomas Jefferson of course.
They are actually both credited with variations of the same quote.
Old 03-11-2010, 08:23 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by jage
So you eschew cell phones as well then? And no doubt any GPS that communicates for data (traffic, updates etc)? And lets not forget all those traffic and street cameras... I seriously doubt you're going to disappear in the SMB and if you needed to at least you should know where the device is to remove from your own van.
Nope, love my iPhone. However, I joke that if the stuff ever hits the fan you will find my house empty with two iPhones on the counter.
Old 03-11-2010, 08:59 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by NRL
Those GPS Trackers need to authenticate with your password before it gives up the GPS Lat Long.. there is no broadcast, it's strictly for you. But then again, if someone at the phone company was watching your SMS txt, it would give yourself away.. but that's like saying someone at your internet provider is reading all your Email..
Unless your security company decides to cooperate with the government in the interest of National Security, or if your whereabouts are subpoenaed to incriminate you in an investigation.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/washington ... -nsa_x.htm

Not trying to go to crazy-town here. I'm just pointing out that when you put information out there security and privacy are relative terms. The fact of the matter is that the more information you put out there (secure or not), the less privacy you have.

Many people are o.k. with that (just look at Facebook) and that's fine. I'm just saying that in the rush to get secure you may find that you have given up more than you bargained for. It would be wise to take your time and make sure your are o.k. with the compromise.

So, to steal and twist the quote, you may find that if you give up a little of your privacy for security - you may find you end up with neither.
Old 03-11-2010, 10:14 PM   #36

Folks,

Been in the cell phone business for many many years. GPS trackers are getting more sophisticated and cheaper. My company is peddling one. But I want to honor Jage's rules to the letter. And I am on only in the hope it helps some of you all. Qualcomm has a technology platform in the market called inGeo. THey are in the digital radio chipset business. this technology has a couple benefits over traditional GPS. It has fantastic battery / power management capabilities and it is getting cheaper all the time. It also will have in the next generation (keep your eyes open for press releases at the M2M Zone at the wireless show in 2 weeks known as CTIA) stand alone GPS as well as A-GPS -- significantly improved indoor and non-line of site capabilities. No getting around the monthly service charges though -- baby needs new shoes so don't want to end that any time soon! But you can get this technology today for as little as $69 for device and $19.99/month (check out Best Buy Insignia Little Buddy). You should also check out the tracking devices from Freight Securities Net (https://www.freightsecurity.net/store/fsngeo1-family) and Omnilink (http://www.omnilink.com/). These aren't a substitute for an alarm system or an shut off override, but they are better and cheaper than most stand alone GPS products mentioned in this string. Full disclosure: I don't work for any of the companies mentioned above. My company manufacts and distributes the devices. And we partner with the companies mentioned above. Hope it helps. If it doesn't, hey, didn't cost you anything.
johnnymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 09:35 AM   #37

There is another thread on this Forum that went into lots of detail and info on break-ins and anti theft. I mentioned there that I have used PowerLock on several rigs. No one had tried to steal any of them, but I can tell you from experiance that without the "key", or removing and replacing the starter motor, the rig will not start. Period. No cutting into fuel wiring either. Just the starter circuit.
http://www.powerlock.com/
Without the key, the rig will start and you have about a minute to drive off and then the engine will quit. That's helps in the car jacking scene.
I had problems with it on my diesel SMB, but the company sez they have that fixed. I highly recommend the system - and it's cheaper then Ravelco.
Just my seven cents (inflation) worth....

2007 RB50, 6.0
K1WGB
scatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 12:28 PM   #38
Site Team

Quote:
I have used PowerLock on several rigs.
@scatter
I've not seen this product before. I read the installation instructions on their web site. It looks pretty straightforward. Did you do the install yourself?

Dave

Once I exit Hal, this is what I do.
https://larry.wvnet.edu/~van/pics/lic...late-small.jpg
WWW.WVBIKE.ORG
WVvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 02:18 PM   #39

Dang...That sucks.

This past December I locked my keys in my SMB at the car wash of all places. I called AAA and the guy was there in an hour or so. He got out of his truck, looked at the van lock, said, "These are easy." Then he went back to his truck, came back with a small wedge and some type of slim jim and opened the lock. The whole thing from when he got there took about 30 seconds but the thing that was surprising to me was how quick he had the van unlocked. It literally took him no longer than 5 seconds (and I am not exaggerating) from the time he put the small wedge in between the window and the door frame and popped the lock with his slim jim. Then he turned around, said, "Have a good evening," and he was gone. A true professional at getting into vehicles.

So I guess my point here is I have seen these vans unlocked with a quickness. A hidden cutoff switch might not be a bad idea.
Old 03-12-2010, 03:33 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVvan
Quote:
I have used PowerLock on several rigs.
I've not seen this product before. I read the installation instructions on their web site. It looks pretty straightforward. Did you do the install yourself?

Dave
Yeah, I've done the installation on all the ones I had. Piece of pie if you're handy at all. Involves splicing into some wires under the dash (above the pedals) and removing the starter and installing a little module where the wire connects to the starter. Then that whole mess is encased in epoxy that they give you. Only way to bypass is to remove the starter and chip off the epoxy and reconnect the wire or put a different starter in it's place. If the whole thing takes more then three hours, you're screwing around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veg Hed
I called AAA and the guy was there in an hour or so. He got out of his truck, looked at the van lock, said, "These are easy." Then he went back to his truck, came back with a small wedge and some type of slim jim and opened the lock. The whole thing from when he got there took about 30 seconds but the thing that was surprising to me was how quick he had the van unlocked.
Yeah, I used to run a AAA truck. People were shocked at how quick I could get into their rigs. As I said, if someone wants in, they're going to get in. What we need to do is install something that won't let 'em drive it off. They can always tow it, but at least make 'em work at it.

2007 RB50, 6.0
K1WGB
scatter is offline   Reply With Quote