Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-14-2019, 09:19 PM   #1

Yes, it's true, I did.

I did buy the SMB that went swimming at Pismo. I bought a last minute ticket to Santa Barbara on Wednesday, and flew down to inspect it. After spending a few hours looking at everything, I departed to a hotel to mull it over and talk to a few friends. The first call was to a good friend who was the foreman at the largest body shop in Fairbanks and who now owns his own shop. He did everything he could to talk me out of it. The next call was to Ray (1der) who explained that I was blinded by the thrill of the hunt, but reminded me I could still back out. Next up was Rick (REF) who pretty much agreed with everyone else. Somewhere along the line I talked with Robb (RPA) who urged me to buy it, and said he would buy it from me if I changed my mind, and for a price that would only cause me to loose a few thousand dollars. Earlier, while inspecting it, I just touched the transfer case and my finger went through the case, causing the salt / oil mix to poor out. Clearly salt and magnesium don't mix. As I laid on my hotel bed I was really conflicted, and spent a sleepless night stressing about a potentialy huge project and the fact I could loose money. By the morning I decided to cut my losses (plane tickets, rental car, hotel etc) and go home. When I returned to the lot where the van was, I again saw that there was real potential, and finally made a deal. So, I've just purchaced a huge project, but first I've got to get it home, and the first contracted trucker flaked out on me. At this point, I'm still looking. Once it arrives, my first chore will be to pull everything off the front end, grill, radiator, etc to allow better access to the motor and the wiring. All plugs will come apart for inspection, and the motor will get any attention it might need. Then I'll pull out the entire dash to inspect everything on the inside of the fire wall and repair as needed. Fortunately, I have another BW1356 transfer case, so I'll take the best parts from each, or just get a rebuild kit if needed and install it. On the bright side, so far everything from the refer, espar heater, lights, pumps ect work fine. There are three nearly new AGM's and The motor fires right up and sounds great. The top is in good shape too. So, I now have a huge project, but I'm retired, so I guess I needed something to do. Wish me luck......

Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 09:43 PM   #2

Garage
Sounds like a big but fun project! Good luck sorting it all out.

2001 Van Haus E350 EB 7.3L Quadvan 4X4
1999 Sportsmobile E150 - SOLD
2002 Sportsmobile RB50 7.3L 4X4 - SOLD
dokaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 09:48 PM   #3

Love it! Retirement has its benefits, this being one of them. Five years from now and I would have been right there with you.
Old 04-14-2019, 09:56 PM   #4
ctb

Garage
Send a message via AIM to ctb
WOW!!!! As ALWAYS impressed with what you do and now amazed...good luck and can't wait to see it all done!
ctb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 11:52 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctictraveller View Post
I did buy the SMB that went swimming at Pismo...

So, I now have a huge project, but I'm retired, so I guess I needed something to do. Wish me luck......
Can we get a building/fixing series thread to see what the replacements and upgrades are as you fix it up?

Keep us posted!
Old 04-15-2019, 05:26 AM   #6

Garage
Wish you the best. I've always been impressed with your work as well. Love to watch a tear down and build thread. Please let us follow along.
Old 04-15-2019, 06:45 AM   #7

I said what? I must have been drinking!

Just kidding, I still think you should sell your 5.4 GTRV and keep this one for yourself!
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 09:06 AM   #8

Never listen to Robb. Especially if he's been drinking.
motoidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 09:28 AM   #9

Congrats Jeff. Can't wait for the updates.
gcvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 02:35 PM   #10

Garage
That Van had a very attractive price, no doubt many here contemplated it's possibilities (rebuild, donor, parts...whatever) - Including myself.
Have a lot of respect for your decision to go for it.... “Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.” ~ Peter Hendrick Sharp