Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-10-2008, 10:40 PM   #21

Digging up an old thread here. For those of you that use the Memory foam or something like it on the penthouse, do you leave it on the bed when you close the penthouse? And for those of you that leave your bedding on the penthouse bed when you close it how do you get the back J hook through the bedding to latch it down? I just bought the Memory foam from Costco and I am having difficulity closing the rear J hook, the foam is in the way.
Thanks

Old 08-11-2008, 08:51 AM   #22

We have a 2" memory foam cushion on the penthouse bed. It stays on the bed with the top down. The sheets also stay up there, but any blankets, comforters and pillows must come down.

And we have to fold the sheets away from the lights. It is a close fit between the penthouse bed and the top. I would like more room, even when the top is up. We camp for a week at a time and put the bed up every day. It would be nice to have longer hangers for the bed. We have plenty of headroom, but not enough space on top of the bed to leave everything up there.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 10:26 AM   #23

We just use to regular sleeping bags and have been fine. We sleep downstairs with one small Boston Terrier. So far so good. I also drink at least 5-6 beers before bed to help.
2003 Baja Tan SMB EB DYO 7.3 Diesel

Tread Lightly! Trainer
Pack it in Pack it Out>>>> https://www.trasharoo.com
adventureduo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 10:37 AM   #24
Site Team

Garage
I use a cheap 40 degree bag as a top cover and those thin fleece summer bags as the blankets. I just fold them over in the area of most space. The top sits down fine. SMB beds are kind of firm but that's OK for me. I'm sure others want something better. If I can find a 1" section of something like the old insulite backpacking pads, I would cut a hole so the hook can come through. I just don't know if a full length pad will clear the lights and the bar covers on the roof with the top down. With my setup I still have to flip the bedding in half every time I set up or tear down but because it is folded over and sits on the larger half of the bed I never connect the bed to the roof. After I lift the top I just slide the larger section (with the bedding on top) on to the back section of the PH bed keeping it out of the way until bed time. It's very fast to pull the longer section in place, throw the bedding in place and crash. It would be nice to have SMB make a bed with some of that closed cell space age stuff you see on TV.
dave

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 11:26 AM   #25
NRL

Send a message via Yahoo to NRL
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeasBugs
Digging up an old thread here. For those of you that use the Memory foam or something like it on the penthouse, do you leave it on the bed when you close the penthouse? And for those of you that leave your bedding on the penthouse bed when you close it how do you get the back J hook through the bedding to latch it down? I just bought the Memory foam from Costco and I am having difficulity closing the rear J hook, the foam is in the way.
Thanks

Also have the 2" foam cushion. I had to cut mine to fit the one piece sportsmobile bed so it doesn't get in the way of the J hook.
I had to remove the foam bed out of it protective cover and then I had to use a new sheet cut to size, sewed it back up after I cut it to fit.
It was a pain to do it but it sure is comfy now.
Warn12kWinch,FFloater,LSlip,Pwtrx Locker 4.10 305x70x16 ToyoMTs,Eagle Alloys,Stove,4CF Ppane Fridge, Air CompTank,Supersprings, Bilstein Shocks,Deavers,CastIron Diff Case, Bullet Proof ReBuilt Transmission, Tubulator DeRale Trans Pan Cover, SSExhaust, KyoceraSolar, Tripplite UPS, 8D AGM, TivoHD, 24in HDLED
95 FJ80 ARB/Kaymar/Emu
2005 AMG CL65 691hp 875tq
NRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 07:10 PM   #26

Send a message via AIM to Greg In Austin Send a message via Yahoo to Greg In Austin
We have one 2 inch memory foam mattress that is just longer than the one piece pnthouse bed, and it allows the access to the hooks.

We are using another thinner memory foam mattress to custom cut and fit pieces in other areas (like along the sides of the PHT).

We leave the mattress and sheets on the bed when it is raised and when the PHT is down. No blanket is left on the bed as that would make it too thick.
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (15 to 18 mpg) [Johnnie]
2012 Mitsubishi MiEV (no gas required) ($.50/day in electricity) [Evie]
https://badge.facebook.com/badge/1232...3.32047100.png
Greg In Austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 09:37 PM   #27

Thanks for the replies. I think I might cut a small area so that the J hook will clear the bedding. I have been using the bottom bed and putting all of the bedding away every day but I think I am going to start using the penthouse bed and leave the bedding in place. I just got back from five weeks on the road in Montana and am rethinking some of my setup.
Old 08-12-2008, 06:03 AM   #28

So Peasbugs, was that your rig here in Helena Montana a week ago Monday?

http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=1611
Dagger Royalex Legend 16 foot canoe (white-water)
Maravia New Wave 13.5 foot raft (fishing and white-water)
Ed in Montana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 08:54 PM   #29

No that was not me. I was already home by then. I saw several SMBs while on the road in Montana. I saw a white SMB driving on the road next to the Gallitian River near Taylor Fork. I saw another white SMB on the Big Hole River below Wise River. The last one I saw was a RB Peblo Gold on Hwy 80 in Nevada at the Tunnel that goes thru the mountians. I spent most of my time fishing but with the amount of runoff and water in the rivers if you like kayaking its got to be great.