Sportsmobile Forum

Sportsmobile Forum (https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/forums/)
-   Meetups and Trip Reports (https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/forums/f17/)
-   -   Racetrack, Death Valley - October 2013 (https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/forums/f17/racetrack-death-valley-october-2013-a-10388.html)

SteveInLA 06-27-2013 04:15 PM

Racetrack, Death Valley - October 2013

I would like to get a group together to visit the Racetrack Playa in Death Valley over one of the first three weekends in October. Here is my proposed itinerary:

Friday: Meet and spend the night at Wildrose Campground or possibly Thorndike Campground.
Saturday: Drive to Racetrack Playa via Hunter Mountain Road. Spend the night at Homestake Dry Camp.
Sunday: Drive back out via Hunter Mountain Road.

I am reluctant to use Lippincott Road, but someone with lots of experience could probably talk me into it (since my wife won't be joining me on this trip). After my last adventure into Death Valley, I would feel safer making this trip with some additional vehicles. I suppose the first step is to pick a date, so if you are interested, pick a weekend in the poll.

Thanks,
Steve in L.A.

Tapatio 06-28-2013 08:04 AM

Re: Racetrack, Death Valley - October 2013

:a4:

Gnarvan 06-28-2013 08:42 AM

HMMMMM.....

I'll be out and about traveling on my motorcycle in October. Maybe I could join you if I'm in that part of the country. I'll be watching this one with interest.

Viejo 06-28-2013 10:29 AM

Not a commitment, but I voted for all 3 dates. We have no plans yet for Oct.
I hope we can make it.

GoProCowboy 06-28-2013 11:50 AM

Ditto the above.
GPCB

AndrewST 06-28-2013 10:05 PM

Might be in for the first we.
Need to look into it and confirm.
Andrew

oldbonesclimber 06-30-2013 01:00 PM

Did the Lippencott down to Saline back in April in my son's Tacoma Prerunner. I don't think I would try it in my van. Some of the tight turns were dropping the rear tire into the washout. and this is with a small truck. Neat road but I don't want to do it in the van.

Paul :u1:

SteveInLA 06-30-2013 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldbonesclimber
Did the Lippencott down to Saline back in April in my son's Tacoma Prerunner. I don't think I would try it in my van. Some of the tight turns were dropping the rear tire into the washout. and this is with a small truck. Neat road but I don't want to do it in the van.

That seems to be the general consensus about Lippencott. I have heard little about Hunter Mountain road other than it is a better choice than Lippencott. The third option is Racetrack Valley road, but I understand that it is very washboarded and seems very long and out of the way.

Steve in L.A.

rob_gendreau 07-01-2013 02:33 PM

Dunno if I can make it yet, but I'd suggest Panamint Springs Resort over the two campgrounds mentioned. Showers. Beer. Better.

SteveInLA 07-01-2013 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rob_gendreau
Dunno if I can make it yet, but I'd suggest Panamint Springs Resort over the two campgrounds mentioned. Showers. Beer. Better.

Great suggestion. It also looks like it would involve less backtracking on Highway 190 in order to get to Racetrack, plus showers and beer.

Steve in L.A.