Sportsmobile Forum

Sportsmobile Forum (https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/forums/)
-   Meetups and Trip Reports (https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/forums/f17/)
-   -   PNW Summer 2014 trip, CG/boondock advice needed (https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/forums/f17/pnw-summer-2014-trip-cg-boondock-advice-needed-12452.html)

86Scotty 04-16-2014 05:32 PM

PNW Summer 2014 trip, CG/boondock advice needed

OK, putting together the Summer trip. We're probably going to break 7000 miles on this one. I've finally got 3 weeks + this summer so hoping to eventually get from Tennessee to Seattle/Portland.

Here's the basics and I would love some tips. I'm very familiar with everything as far West/Northwest as far as SLC or so up to and including Glacier, but have never been any further West (driving/camping).

Days 1-4: TN to Moab via Denver.

Day 5-6: Hoping to do some of White Rim, but not camp on the trail. We'll probably camp at Deadhorse Point or Horsethief. I would love some pointers on doing some milder (I know, relative term) offroading in the area, such as, which end of White Rim should I start for a day trip with some great sites? One better than the other? White Rim is my first thought but I'm not thinking of camping on the trail, and it's too late to get a spot anyway. We know it will be hot during the day in mid-June but going anyway.

Days 7-8: On up to SLC, probably camp in Big Cottonwood Canyon on our way West towards Salt Flats, then to Reno. Would love some input on this stretch as well.

Days 9-10: Reno to San Francisco and sightsee in San Fran. I'm not excited about parking my van anywhere in that city. Can it be done safely? I at least want to spend a day in the city, hanging out downtown and at the Wharf. My family has never been, then we will start up the coast. I would love some pointers on San Fran. Is there any decent camping just north or Sausalito along Hwy 1?

Days 11-12: This is where we will slow down a little and take in the PNW coast. Headed up Hwy 1 to Redwoods NP. Best camping there? Please PM me any boondock sites you might like to share.

Days 13-14: Head inland to Crater Lake area via 199 unless I get another suggestion. I've been here before but still would love input. After this we'll head back towards the coast via 138/38 to Reedsport.

Days 15-16: On up the coast to Tillamook. Need input here. I'm reading threads on all of this stuff including Xcnick's recent trip but need to get organized.

Days 17-18: Visiting family in Portland (Clackamas). Hope to head up to Mt. Hood and rest a day or two at their place.

Days 19-20: Headed up to Mt. Ranier area. Need input here. I'm almost out of time at this point and more interested in wilderness than Seattle, so I was thinking Mt. Ranier area is pretty good.

Days 21-22: Quick pass through Glacier NP. Been before, just hoping to nab a site there for a night or two.

Days 23-25: Head for home, 30 hours of driving but don't want to leave the party til I have to.

Thanks for any input or advice on the PNW section of this journey.

:b5:

rallypanam 04-16-2014 06:02 PM

Re: PNW Summer 2014 trip, CG/boondock advice needed

San Francisco: Yeah, you can park safely in the city. Depending on where you want to go there are paid lots, or you can come park in front of my house on the street next to my SMB and take a cab. I'm in SF, but not near the action. I might even buy you a beer.

Just north of the city there are plenty of nice developed campsites (Point Reyes National Seashore, CA State Parks) - no real boondocking for a couple hours that I'm aware of.

Viejo 04-16-2014 06:34 PM

Here's my 2 cents...

Days 7-8
Unless SLC and the salt flats are on your must-see list, I would take 70 and 50 west from Moab/GreenRiver to Reno.
I can give you some sights to see if you take that route

Days 9-10
SF can be intimidating but it's not to bad. I don't know the city well, but we always stay in Cow Hollow just north of Lombard. As for camping - the closest we've found is

Samuel P. Taylor SP
8888 Sir Francis Drake Blvd
Lagunitas, CA 94938

Nice enough park in the Redwoods but cursed with being too close to an urban area. You'll need reservations in the summer. Check the state park website for more possibilities.

I hope some local bay area SMBers can help out more. ( I see one already did as I was composing this..)

Days 11-12
If you really want to slow down, you can put the SMB to good use here. At the N end of Hwy 1 where it turns inland to join 101, turn N on the Usal road that will take you up thru Whitethorn and Shelter Cove, Honeydew, Petrolia to Ferndale and 101 at Fortuna / Eureka. If you stick with 101, there are some great state parks in the redwoods along the Eel River.

A little secret about the Redwoods - The state parks have the best groves and facilities. The national park (north of Eureka) came in the '60 and took a bunch of cut over timber lands. They have some nice trees, but also acres of moonscape.

Dogmobile 04-16-2014 08:03 PM

SF: You could camp just east of the city in one of the East Bay Regional Parks:

https://www.ebparks.org/activities/camping

If you don't want to take the SMB into the city, you can park it at one of the BART stations and take BART downtown. Dublin or Orinda would be good choices where the SMB should be fairly safe for the day.

Personally, your itinerary looks like way too much driving and not enough exploring for my tastes. You could easily spend a week just on the CA coast north of SF (Point Reyes, Mendocino, Lost Coast). The Oregon coast could easily absorb a whole week as well. Do you NEED to go tearing off to Crater Lake and then back to the coast? Do you NEED to include Mt Rainier? There is so much to see and do in any one of the areas you mentioned - I could fill a whole post with a week's worth of suggestions in any one of the spots you mention.

Between Reno and SF, if you were not hammer down on I80, you could go over stunning Sonora Pass (daveb's territory) or a bit further south check out Mono Lake and then cross the Sierra through Yosemite. Boondocking galore, great hiking, scenery to die for. Just a suggestion, and this board will have many more I'm sure, if you want to slow down and get to know the territory.

86Scotty 04-17-2014 07:02 AM

Thanks Rally, I'm making notes of lots of things at this point but I hate making reservations at campgrounds 3k from my house. It interferes with our 'take it as it comes' traveling lifestyle. I'll be in touch about the possible parking.

Viejo, many thanks. I will be in touch. Is 50 across Nevada way superior to I-80? Our only reason for going through SLC/Salt Flats is that none of us have ever seen it. I know it's not a huge thrill though. If you don't mind shoot me some specifics on your idea of bypassing it. Your ideas on the CA coast are exactly what I'm looking for, I just have to make sure we can fit it all in.

Dogmobile, thanks very much. I agree that our itinerary is way too full of driving and I'm in the early stages of planning which I've started too late, but here's the thing. We took one trip 20 years ago to Portland, rented a car and did Crater Lake/Mt. Hood, etc. My kids have never seen it and my wife and I really want to show this to them. This isn't our last trip out there, it's just one I won't be able to do very often, given it's 3k from home. This is almost more of a scouting trip than a perfected vacation. I was looking at Mt. Ranier area as an in-between Portland (family) and heading across toward Glacier, without bothering with Seattle. I would love to explore Seattle and points North and West (like Olympic NP area) but there's just no time for it. I'm also trying to strike the balance between a couple of days of really long drives and a couple of days of shorter ones and sightseeing. That's why we're breaking around Moab and then San Fran area, then again in Portland with family, and lastly around Glacier headed back home.

Please keep the ideas flowing here, no info is being overlooked. There are lots of threads on this, I know, and I'm scouring them as I can. Please link 'em if you can.

twogone 04-17-2014 07:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 86Scotty
Is 50 across Nevada way superior to I-80?

I was struck by the "state-of-mind" that the 50 brought... I will be using that road again.

shenrie 04-17-2014 08:12 AM

theres some phenominal lakes and wonderful scenery in northern idaho in the area i assume youll be passing through. ive got friends that live and have lived in priest river, sandpoint, and coeurdalene areas that im sure could recommend a place to stay for a night if your looking for one.

xcnick 04-17-2014 09:36 AM

xcnick here. In Tillamook there was suppose to be a campground at the airport. I never saw it, but I mention it because if everything else is booked up this might be one that has space.

yvrr 04-17-2014 09:36 AM

I-80 across Nevada is a very boring drive although faster than 50. On your Reno to San Francisco leg, stop for an hour at Donner State Park and go through the museum and the walk around to see where the Donner party spent the winter of 1846-47. Rather than heading back to I-80, take the old Lincoln Highway around Donner Lake and up the original route over Donner Pass...you'll cross the original wagon road close to the top of the grade. You can get back on I-80 after crossing the summit.

When you know when you'll arrive in San Francisco, call and make reservations to visit Alcatraz Island National Park...it is a fascinating place, rich in both military history and as a prison.

We've done the Usal Road that Viejo recommends and broke off a lot of low hanging branches that were getting caught on our solar panels. If you could see the ocean the entire way, it would have been worth it for us.

86Scotty 04-17-2014 09:43 AM

Twogone, thanks!

Shenrie, I am and I'll be in touch, thanks!

Xcnick, thanks. Your recent trip post has already been a lot of help. Noted.

Yvrr, thanks, I will put that down as a break during that drive. Hopefully it will fit.

larrie 04-17-2014 10:22 AM

Just north of Tillamook is The Barview Jetty County Park, https://www.co.tillamook.or.us/gov/parks/Campgrounds.htm. It is quite large and is only a short walk to the beach.

geoffff 04-17-2014 11:13 AM

If you're looking for some boondocking sites instead of campgrounds, here are some spots I've found. All these are 2WD access logging roads (but high clearance is helpful).

Tillamook area -- There are some logging roads just north of Tillamook, with moderate views of the town of Tillamook. Access these logging roads here: (GPS: N45.47826, W123.80107)

This first spot is a short drive off pavement, but shows some evidence of being popular with weekend yahoos (GPS: N45.4897, W123.8100):

https://octopup.org/img/2013/tillamoo...ortsmobile.jpg

https://octopup.org/img/2013/tillamoo...w-Campsite.jpg

This second spot is a bit more of a drive, but is more secluded, and has a west view of countryside (GPS: N45.4990, W123.8278). The roads can get a bit muddy in damp weather. Access via same location as above.

https://octopup.org/img/2013/tillamoo...ortsmobile.jpg

https://octopup.org/img/2013/tillamoo...w-Campsite.jpg

geoffff 04-17-2014 11:14 AM

National Forest areas just north of Mt. Rainier. I explored this area last summer, and found two great view camping spots:

This stunning Rainier view spot is less than an hour drive off pavement (leave main road near here: GPS: N47.07691, W121.58674), but seems to be popular on nice weather weekends. Just north of Mt. Rainier (GPS: N47.0166, W121.6810):

https://octopup.org/img/2013/rainier-...ortsmobile.jpg

Here is another stunning spot (GPS: N47.0143, W121.9129), but a bit more of a drive. Northwest of Mt. Rainier. Access via (GPS: N47.10979, W122.02355):

https://octopup.org/img/2013/rainier-...t-Mountain.jpg

https://octopup.org/img/2013/rainier-...rbon-River.jpg

Have fun!
-- Geoff

larrie 04-17-2014 01:09 PM

Another alternative route would be to go north from Crater Lake up highway 97 to Bend. This is some interesting country with lots of geologic sites to see and some good boon docking sites as well. Head west from Bend on HWY 20 to Corvallis/Albany and then Newport. There are lots of places to camp in the forest on that route.

Pschitt 04-17-2014 05:36 PM

In San Francisco, I use to camp in Candelstick RV Park, North of international airport. It's not cheap but there is a campground shuttle bus taking you to downtown in twenty minutes. So you don't have to kook for a parking place in town... :a4:

86Scotty 04-17-2014 05:41 PM

Thanks all. Geoff, I think you've got me sold on passing through Mt. Ranier area for sure. Beautiful spots and shots!

Scalf77 04-17-2014 10:27 PM

Quote:

Days 13-14: Head inland to Crater Lake area via 199 unless I get another suggestion. I've been here before but still would love input. After this we'll head back towards the coast via 138/38 to Reedsport.
Don't get me wrong, I love Crater lake, if you have already been there I think I might just decide to go right up the Oregon coast taking my time, the Rogue River is great place to explore.

if you do go
Quote:

Another alternative route would be to go north from Crater Lake up highway 97 to Bend. This is some interesting country with lots of geologic sites to see and some good boon docking sites as well. Head west from Bend on HWY 20 to Corvallis/Albany and then Newport. There are lots of places to camp in the forest on that route.
You might want to look at the McKenzie Pass, it is a seasonal road coming out of Sisters, there are fantastic views at the pass.

If you want to hike a mountain, South Sister should be very doable in August, probably enough snow melted.

If you do come out 199 checking out the Oregon Caves might be a stopping point, there are camp sites around there.

-greg

BrianW 04-18-2014 07:46 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by twogone
Quote:

Is 50 across Nevada way superior to I-80?

I was struck by the "state-of-mind" that the 50 brought... I will be using that road again.

Last weekend I was down near Ocean City, Md., where US 50 starts. There's a cool road sign there that says "Sacramento, Ca. - 3,073 miles." I was in my SMB. It was tempting...

BroncoHauler 04-18-2014 07:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrianW
Last weekend I was down near Ocean City, Md., where US 50 starts. There's a cool road sign there that says "Sacramento, Ca. - 3,073 miles." I was in my SMB. It was tempting...

Now is that where US 50 starts, or where it ends? :c8:

BrianW 04-18-2014 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BroncoHauler
Quote:

Originally Posted by BrianW

Now is that where US 50 starts, or where it ends? :c8:

Good question. Can't easily find the answer to that. Wikipedia doesn't help, although apparently US 50 originally went from Annapolis, Md., to Nevada. (Annapolis, Md., is on the western side of the Chesapeake Bay, and at the time there was no bridge allowing connection to the actual east coast in Ocean City, Md.). https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._Route_50

I tend to think of most older routes "starting" in the east, mainly because that's where most of the road system was first developed, and then the roads migrated west. But I'm an East Coaster, so I'm biased :b1:

Apparently US 50 follows some of the old Santa Fe Trail. That's interesting...

Dogmobile 04-18-2014 10:43 AM

Instead of leaving the OR coast for Crater Lake and then back out to the coast, consider going a bit further up before cutting over to Crater Lake, and then up the east side of the Cascades through Bend and over Mt Hood to get to Clackamas.

The High Desert Museum in Bend is very worth a stop. There is also a cool outdoor logging equipment museum further south on 395. In Bend you can drive (or hike) to the top of a volcano cone. Bend/Sisters gives you great access to hiking, and you could take that McKenzie Pass road back to I-5 if you wanted - it passes through vast lava fields and there is a neat "observatory" built from lava rock at the top. If you opt for the route over Mt Hood, be sure to stop at Smith Rocks to watch the climbers for a bit. You could boondock almost anywhere along this route (except Bend proper, of course).

The southern Oregon coast has everything you could want - I don't think you'd be missing much by skipping the inland, somewhat depressed agricultural community of Tillamook. North of Newport, the towns on the actual coast get more and more touristy the farther north you go.

Bandon has something you will never forget and won't find anywhere else: the chance to pet tiger and lion cubs at the West Coast Game Park. It is a one of a kind place that has been run by the same family for 40 years.

Dogmobile 04-18-2014 10:45 AM

Not sure why the word "volcano" got replaced by [deleted]. Maybe autocorrect changed it to something racier without my noticing?

Ha, it happened again. The word was v-o-l-c-a-n-o.

rockbender 04-18-2014 11:11 AM

Tough call guys. I live in central Oregon and definitely love all there is to offer here, but that Southern Oregon section of coast is pretty amazing (as are the Redwoods).

One of our favorite campgrounds on the Oregon coast is Beverly Beach State Park just north of Newport.

This should be an awesome trip!

86Scotty 04-18-2014 05:49 PM

Dogmobile and Rockbender, I like the way you are thinking. I've been looking Central Oregon from Crater Lake up to Clackamas and there is a lot of great scenery through there it looks like. I'll have to get my plans out when I get home and look at going further up the OR coast then going inland, maybe at Reedsport? If we want to go over to Tillamook we can go from Clackamas west for a day trip or something since we will be there 2-3 days.

Oh, volcano. I just wanted to try it. Volcano, volcano, volcano.

86Scotty 04-18-2014 05:50 PM

WTF? Why can you not put the word v-o-l-c-a-n-o into a post? :e7:

chromisdesigns 04-18-2014 06:09 PM

Quote:

Advertising spam filter? There is a brand of charcoal grill popular with campers called V******O.

BroncoHauler 04-18-2014 06:45 PM

Quote:

This question gets asked once or twice a year.

A number of years back we had a new member. Within his first few posts, he was talking about how great a certain grill was. Couldn't stop talking about it. Jage finally came right out and asked this guy if he sold this grill. FNG (f-ing new guy) said he had no affiliation to the grill. This kept going on for a while, and then Jage asked him if he'd be willing to cut him a deal on a grill in exchange for advertising on the forum. The liar took the bait and said yes.

All references to the grill name were removed from the forum, and the ban-hammer came out and his username was banned, his e-mail was banned, and his IP was banned. :f4:

Lets just say that the grill name's legacy is that the word in question cannot be used on the forum. Also gives everyone a little bit of insight as to why we're 'enthusiastic' about limiting the amount of commercial content on this forum, and making sure that people with vested, financial interests in discussion topics and items for sale clearly identify their position.

Herb

86Scotty 04-18-2014 09:15 PM

Cool Herb, thanks for the explanation. Yet another reason I love this forum. I hate to be advertised/marketed to, which means I'm pretty much frustrated any time I'm awake these days.

rockbender 04-19-2014 08:29 AM

Reedsport or Coos Bay would be a good place to cut over. There are cool dune areas to check out near both of those areas. I'd recommend cutting over to Central Oregon via Hwy 38 (Umpqua Highway) from Roseburg. There are some great camping spots and lots of short hikes to waterfalls along that route.

So many choices... this thread is going to get long!

larrie 04-19-2014 09:05 AM

Another route from the east to west side is the Cascades is HWY 58. Beautiful views along the middle fork of the Willamette River. You will want to check on the road condition because the have been boing bridge reconstruction and there are some delays because of it. Here is the link that shows all the road construction projects in Oregon, https://gis.odot.state.or.us/opt/

Dogmobile 04-19-2014 09:48 AM

If you decide on the Bend-Portland routing, consider stopping at Madras to go rafting on the Deschutes for a day.

daveb 04-19-2014 01:13 PM

I've always wanted to check out the Cowboy Dinner Tree that Woody (woodbee) posted about.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jc5R9XOlotw

I still haven't had the chance to visit Oregon. I benchmarked the America's Scenic Byways site on my PC for a future visit.
https://www.oregon.gov/ODOT/HWY/SCENICBY ... guide.aspx

larrie 04-19-2014 02:45 PM

The Oregon byways are great. Have been on the Journey Through Time and several others. Some have incredibly long steep hills so make sure your breaks and cooling systems are in good shape. Eastern Oregon is anything but flat. Just read any book about the Oregon Trail and coming through the Blue Mountains.

If you look at a map where I84 cuts through the Blues east of Pendleton you will see a series of State Parks fairly close together. They are the sites that the pioneers stayed while trying to get through he Blues. We stayed at one park that was sandwiched between a river and the freeway. Doesn't sound like much until you read the interpretive information. It was the same location which the pioneers used after spending the day lowering the wagons by rope down a hill.

rob_gendreau 04-19-2014 04:43 PM

Lots of good advice, especially 50 instead of 80. Especially in the summer; 50 goes high more frequently and hence has nicer camping. A bit longer but it seems way shorter. 70 out of Moab is amazing, with lots of boondocking and camping. 80, not so much.

For California, be aware anything on the coast is gonna be booked in the summer. Even midweek can be tough near the Bay Area.

In addition to the East Bay Parks, which was mentioned, try Mount Diablo State Park. Very nice camping, and a short drive to BART for a trip to the city. Dillon Beach, north of SF, is a private campground that is too expensive but hey might have spots.

Be aware that if you get just outside Sacto it's super congested bumper to bumper traffic off and on all the way to SF; people are commuting all those routes and from almost that far away into the city. You could spend hours just getting from Davis to the city. And then an hour or two just getting out. Bottom line: visit on a weekend. If you come in 80 (50 merges with 80, so you will) Mt. Diablo is only 30 minutes or so off the route into SF via 680/24 (about the same distance as 80). If it's a weekend you get up early, drive into the city and hang, then out over 101 north.

Yodavan 04-22-2014 10:50 PM

Your welcome to overnight at my place in Denver on the way thru. If the timing works I could maybe caravan up to Moab with ya.

-P

86Scotty 04-23-2014 06:07 AM

Rob, luckily current plans put us coming in to San Fran on a Saturday, so looks like that might work out from a traffic standpoint. Whew, I hate traffic. I want to sightsee there but it will be pretty abbreviated, not at all the focus of our trip. The quieter places are much more why we are going. I hope maybe we can check out Alcatraz, walk around the wharf, ride a trolly and shop a bit and move on.
We aren't going to nearly try to take in all of San Francisco in a day and a half.

Yoda, I appreciate the offer but I have family in Co. Springs we will be staying with. Our kids don't get to see their only cousin there very often so we always try to maximize our time there. For this trip it will only be 2 nights/1 day though. Gotta keep rollin' to fit all of this in. We'll be keeping in touch where there is wifi/cell signal so if you are headed to Moab perhaps we could still meet up, but we'll be headed that way on a Monday.

To any of you PNW residents, how bad are the bugs and humidity going to be in Northern Cali/Oregon in late June/early July? I'm not sure if mosquitos are a big deal there. Of all of the places we've traveled, the only place where I remember any bugs like here at home was in Glacier, so we'll be prepared for that, but not sure about the PNW. As far as doing Moab etc. in the middle of summer, that doesn't bother us a bit. There is so much less humidity where we have been out west, the heat doesn't really even bother us. The only place I remember being miserable was Vegas and Death Valley in June.

REF 04-23-2014 09:59 AM

sounds like a great trip, and lots of good advice.
Moab:check out Shafer trail, hooks up with white rim at a point before going up and out the switchbacks, white rim is way too big to do in a day, its over 90 mi, most people take 2, hence the camping spots. My advice, go check out the view from the rim in the park overlooking the valley and white rim trail. Also check out onion creek(kids can cool off!), great spots to camp if you can nab a spot, only 9 or so, and fisher towers east of moab off 128, great scenery, easy routes. Was just there this past weekend and ran top of the world trail(moderate), got late, turned around mid way before the more difficult 2nd half, was still pretty challenging. Oh ya, and eat at my buddy's place, Milts, in town. pick up the Wells Moab 4-wheel drive trails book.
Yes, take 50 instead of 80, much more interesting.
SF-honestly, for me, not a kind of quick stop type of city, difficult to get around, very busy, hard to park, lots of traffic! more of a destination kind of place, lots of areas to explore. Heading north out of the city take 1 along the coast that hooks back up with 101, Coastal redwoods are amazing, not to be missed, check out the lighthouses, dunes too. lots of state parks.

John and Dana 04-23-2014 07:07 PM

We don't have southern style humidity up here even in summer. Northern California will be warm to hot and dry. If you are on the coast in Oregon or Washington be prepared for rain and cool weather.

Mosquitos won't bother you during the day but can come at during dusk and at night if you are camped around standing water. If you are camped in the woods you may encounter black flies or deer flies that bite. You will want to carry bug spray but will probably find the bugs aren't bad compared to what you have at home.

You may want to check out the Ape Caves in Southern Washington. They are lava tubes on the side of Mt St. Helens that you can hike through. There are two different ones the longest is about a mile. There are tons of campsites both developed and undeveloped in the areas and the Mt. St. Helens visitor center is very cool.

If you get to Northern Washington the drive across HWY 20 (North Cascade Highway is spectacular and well worth doing. Also Mt. Rainier national park is beautiful and there is lots of camping both developed and undeveloped in the national forest around the park.

Some of my favorite camping in the NW is north or Detroit Oregon in the Cascades. If you are interested I am happy to share.

If you need anything while you are I the Seattle area feel free to reach out to me.

Cheers,
John

larrie 04-23-2014 10:15 PM

As John said, fairly low on the west side of he Cascades and almost non existent on the east side.

The west side of the Cascades could be anywhere between 90 and 60 that time of year. The east side will be 90 to 75ish. The coast? It can be in the 50s or 75ish on the sand and in the 80s just a short distance inland.

You may get afternoon thunder storms on the east side almond the Cascades.

86Scotty 04-24-2014 06:04 AM

Ref, thanks for the Moab advice! I know the White Rim trail is too long for us and too late to get a camping reservation too. We thought we might just do an out and back there. Last summer we drove all around the overlooks, looking down at the trail and said WE'VE GOT TO get on that trail soon! Anyway, I know there are many and appreciate the advice.
As for San Fran, we'll be traveling through so we'll see and do what we can. I've been and would probably skip it, but I want the kids to at least be able to say they've been and seen a little of it. We will rarely get that far West and I hate to fly anymore.

John, thanks for the tips, I'll be in touch!

Larrie, thanks again. More and more, Oregon sounds like paradise. We know the coastal temps will be cool and it rains a lot, but the general lack of humidity I'm hearing about sounds awesome. I can't wait to get out there.