Sportsmobile Forum

Sportsmobile Forum (https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/forums/)
-   Engines and Drivetrain (https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/forums/f33/)
-   -   Heater valve bypass to fix "heated dashboard vents"? (https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/forums/f33/heater-valve-bypass-to-fix-heated-dashboard-vents-13588.html)

Viva 10-03-2014 01:44 PM

Re: Heater valve bypass to fix "heated dashboard vents"?

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikracer
I'm really interested in ... being able to use my vent instead of AC all the time.

Vent users unite! (or we will, after we get the system upgraded) :b5:

Nothing like vents on a nice day. The fresh (free) air of having a window open without the wind noise. I can't wait to have mine back ("back" as in I had them on other vehicles).

JWA 10-04-2014 04:16 AM

Quote:

Can somone post a pic of the inlet hose? I'm really interested in getting the valve that JWA linked and being able to use my vent instead of AC all the time.

I'll see if I can find an E-Series with intact stock heater hose arrangement---both my E250's with 5.4 motors have had the affected hoses modified.

I'll also try marking up or adding captions or lines to such a photo showing where one of these valves would be inserted. This might take the rest of this day, I'll see if I have anything in my past projects that would be helpful.

Stay tuned! :a3:

JWA 10-04-2014 04:56 AM

Quote:

Can somone post a pic of the inlet hose? I'm really interested in getting the valve that JWA linked and being able to use my vent instead of AC all the time.

I'll see if I can find an E-Series with intact stock heater hose arrangement---both my E250's with 5.4 motors have had the affected hoses modified.

I'll also try marking up or adding captions or lines to such a photo showing where one of these valves would be inserted. This might take the rest of this day, I'll see if I have anything in my past projects that would be helpful.

Stay tuned! :a3:

Viva 10-04-2014 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JWA
I'll see if I can find an E-Series with intact stock heater hose arrangement...

I just uploaded a couple of photos of what I think are the heater hoses on my '98 E-350 with V-10. It is stock.

It was a bit tough to get in there to get a photo (working in there ought to be fun) but I did the best I could. They are in my album.

(Actually, they are in my album twice, by accident, but when I try to delete the dups it says I"m not authorized to access the area.)

Viva

JWA 10-04-2014 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Viva

I just uploaded a couple of photos of what I think are the heater hoses on my '98 E-350 with V-10. It is stock.

It was a bit tough to get in there to get a photo (working in there ought to be fun) but I did the best I could. They are in my album.

(Actually, they are in my album twice, by accident, but when I try to delete the dups it says I"m not authorized to access the area.)

Viva

You might need to sign out then back in again when attempting to delete your extra photos.

A small note that might be important a bit further on: please try to post your photos to this thread instead of adding them to a gallery etc. By so doing anyone using this as a tutorial AND have short attention spans (like me!) it's better being able to scroll different images all in the same place.

So then

Viva those hoses are indeed the in and out for the heater core---good find! if you could now snap a few photos of the back of the engine, dog house removed of course and show me where those two hoses connect into the engine block or whatever I can probably give you and exact cut and insert point along one of the hoses.

We'll need to ID which of those hoses is the actual heater core inlet or the one connected to a fitting nearest the thermostat housing.

In the meantime here are two photos of a 2003 E250 w/5.4. First photo shows generally how an OEM hose would come off the intake (hottest coolant) and enter the heater core. I've added a few "landmarks" to give an idea how that hose is run.

In the following photo I'm showing the hose into which our shut off valve would be inserted/installed. (This particular hose has been modified to previously allow coolant flow for a rear heater core. Because this van was taken out of service (rear heater removed); normally this hose would be a single piece.

https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/att...ec19539327.jpg

This next photo shows that splice which on this motor is exactly where our valve would be located. Simply cut that hose, insert the valve (with suitable hose barb fittings installed and sealed), tighten the clamps and the van is once again 100% driveable.

https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/att...c65fd8089f.jpg

BTW I'm suggesting this valve be ported with 3/4" female pipe threads in order to NOT significantly reduce the coolants flow path. With 5/8" hose barb fittings eventually fitted to this valve we'd have a full 5/8" ID path from the intake to the heater core which is important to those living in a four season climate. :a3:

From here we'd wire the valve to cab switch making sure we have an inline fuse too. After this we're done with this phase of the "cold air option" as this mod has been called from time-to-time.

Viva post your back-of-engine photos OR PM me for my email and you could send them directly to me. I could then edit and mark them similar to mine here with arrows, captions and other such visually appealing features. :a1:

mikracer 10-04-2014 01:16 PM

Thanks for the pic and captions! Is that picture looking from inside the cab with the doghouse off or is that from under the hood?

Viva 10-04-2014 02:00 PM

Sorry about not putting the photos in the thread. I was going to try it but then got a bit "sidetracked" by the duplicate upload. At any rate, let me try to put them here as well as in my album:

Okay, that looks like it worked!

carringb 10-04-2014 04:02 PM

One note if caution: beware of using a standard hose clamp on the manifold outlet. That coolant gets so hot, the hose can delaminate starting at the "pinch" inside the bite of the hose clamp. I had recurring hose failures there because of that. The oem spring clamp works much better, or at least use a nicer hose clamp which has overlap between the sides.

Viva 10-04-2014 04:21 PM

I am on my way out the door (not in the van), but I tried to take a few minutes and grab the photos from inside with the doghouse off. Unfortunately, the doghouse is being a bit recalcitrant. I'm sure I could get it off just fine (have before) except I need to run. I didn't want you to think I was just ignoring you though. It would be great to get your advice marked up right on the photos of my actual van!

I will get some photos after I get back from this (non van) trip.

Viva

JWA 10-05-2014 04:55 AM

Quote:

Thanks for the pic and captions! Is that picture looking from inside the cab with the doghouse off or is that from under the hood?

Photos from under the hood Mikracer.

Quote:

Originally Posted by carringb
One note if caution: beware of using a standard hose clamp on the manifold outlet. That coolant gets so hot, the hose can delaminate starting at the "pinch" inside the bite of the hose clamp. I had recurring hose failures there because of that. The oem spring clamp works much better, or at least use a nicer hose clamp which has overlap between the sides.

That's interesting CarringB you had those failures----I check my hose connections often and so far haven't experienced the same thing. Your suggestion is well taken though, those spring clamps are amazing in their own right.

I personally use the single-ear pinch clamps or the worm drive type used most often for securing silicone hoses. Those have an inner sleeve that's wider than the clamping band and upturned edges to avoid cutting into the hose. Most of us tend to over-tighten the typical clamps anyway so anything less prone to affecting the hose itself is a great improvement.

These are the type, priced right too: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-390500/overview/ Gates has one suitable for this use, their p/n: 32312.

Viva whenever you get around to your photos---those dog houses always resist when you need them removed quickly. :a3: