Sportsmobile Forum

Sportsmobile Forum (https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/forums/)
-   General Sportsmobile (https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/forums/f9/)
-   -   Rear ladder: is it useful? (https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/forums/f9/rear-ladder-is-it-useful-14765.html)

BrianW 04-07-2015 07:15 AM

Rear ladder: is it useful?

I picked up a nice used stainless steel rear ladder over the winter - the kind that attaches to the top of the rear door and then bolts into the door at the bottom. I'm dithering as to whether I should install it or not, though, since it requires drilling into the door and isn't easily reversible (well, without leaving two holes in my door).

For those of you that have them, are they useful? I will be adding Thule tracks to the roof this year (mainly as solar attachment points), but I doubt we'll carry stuff up there very often. I was thinking that it would be useful in camp as a drying rack, rope attachment point, and for the rare occasions I want to go "up top" to do some maintenance or whatever.

Thoughts?

Ben10281 04-07-2015 07:28 AM

Re: Rear ladder: is it useful?

Mine is helpful for loading the Thule roof box. I have a feeling that if I had a side ladder it would be helpful for loading the roof box up there as well as for access to the stuff in the roof box, whereas the rear ladder really isn't very useful for getting stuff out of the box. My SMB came with the ladder, though so it wasn't exactly a choice for me.

mikracer 04-07-2015 09:41 AM

I had a van with a rear ladder that rattled. Just make sure when you install it, you put some rubber gasket type material (maybe an old bike inner tube?) between the hooks of the top the ladder and the top of the door. Other than that, it seemed pretty solid.

yvrr 04-07-2015 09:43 AM

We use ours quite often. I have Yakima tracks on the roof and occasionally have a Yakima basket there for additional camping gear when taking other family members camping. I occasionally haul lumber on the racks. I also use the ladder to get up and clean the solar panels and have been known to climb to the roof to get a better view of wildlife. Finally, when we will be camping off the grid, our Trasharoo hangs from the ladder since our spare tire is mounted under the van.

flyfisher 04-07-2015 10:12 AM

I ordered one on my 2005 SMB. I use it to clamber on the top to get my rowing frame on and off the Yakima Rack, as well as cleaning the solar panel.

It's mounted on the right rear door. Seems that newer models are mounted on the sides of the van.

I give it a thumbs up for usefullness.

Tom

boywonder 04-07-2015 05:24 PM

I would imagine that rear mounted ladders have less wind drag than the side mounted ones...

.....so less wind noise and better gas mileage...at least on paper.

oclv 04-07-2015 05:57 PM

We have a Thule box on top and I use the ladder a lot. I don't find myself using it for a drying rack because it is usually too dusty.

BrianW 04-07-2015 06:12 PM

Thanks for the comments so far, everyone! Additional thoughts are welcome...

TexGX 04-07-2015 06:52 PM

Use mine all the time. Had mine powder coated black. I put 3M tape at top to hold in place and add firmness.

TexGX

redtop 04-09-2015 06:49 AM

I've been thinking of getting one to. What type does everyone like and where to buy?

86Scotty 04-09-2015 07:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrianW
Thanks for the comments so far, everyone! Additional thoughts are welcome...

I consider my side ladder priceless. I use it every time I use the van to access my roof box, but it's also helpful when washing the van and to adjust the pop top if it needs it, as in when the canvas sticks out a bit or you are parked on a hill and it doesn't come down perfectly centered. However, I think a rear door ladder wouldn't be nearly as useful since it takes up room that can be used for a rear box, spare tire, bike rack, etc. Of course, these things can't be put on the side of the van like a side ladder can, so it comes down to a space allocation to match your needs.
I would be fine with a rear ladder if my van were 2wd with the (smaller) spare underneath in the stock location, and if I didn't need the other door for a box/rack for more outside storage. If you have a rear door with nothing on it then go for it, they are certainly cheaper than the side ladders. Just consider what you might add in the future (box, spare, etc.)

:b5:

flyfisher 04-09-2015 09:15 AM

And I forgot to mention, I use my rear mounted ladder to hang my Sun Shower on in camp. It's also the perfect place to rest my fly rods when I'm putting my waders on. They slot right into place with the reel resting on the lowest rung and stay upright and out of harms way.

The rear mounted ladder doesn't pose a problem for me. The Trojan spare tire carrier is on the other side, and I have the stock bumper with no extra gear hanging off the back.

Tom

BrianW 04-09-2015 09:27 AM

I have a 2WD, stock step bumper, and the tire on the driver's side rear door. My passenger door is empty, which is why I'm thinking of adding the ladder. Really, the only thing keeping me from trying it out is that I have to drill holes in the door.

For accessing roof boxes, the racks, etc., I can see a side ladder being more useful. The Thule box I have loads from the side, for example. But I'm not interested in dropping $400+ on an Aluminess side ladder right now, even though they are pretty cool.

Nice, welded stainless steel rear ladders (like the Surco: https://www.surcoinc.com/V-VL_SSVL.html) are way better than the cheap aluminum ones you often see on conversion vans.

xcnick 04-09-2015 11:08 AM

If you don't want to drill holes, use the super duper double stick tape used by the solar panel installers.

BrianW 04-09-2015 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xcnick
If you don't want to drill holes, use the super duper double stick tape used by the solar panel installers.

Oooh, I like that idea. Thanks!

xcnick 04-09-2015 12:37 PM

I am using regular double stick tape on the aluminum one. I wasn't sure which side I wanted it on. Tape is still good after 2 years. My problem is at the top. I should have used double stick tape up there too because it does slide a bit up there. I put protective stuff on the top of the door, but it still moves a bit.

86Scotty 04-09-2015 12:47 PM

Call Derek at CCV. He can build you a nice side ladder for a lot less than Aluminess.

boywonder 04-10-2015 08:16 AM

Using VHB tape to adhere a ladder to your van may not be the best method.......

The ladder will be shear loading the tape joint (or a bolted joint). Although VHB tape has very high shear strength, it is nowhere near the shear strength of a #10 or 1/4" bolted joint given the amount of square inches you'll have to apply tape.

......and the failure is potentially severe........chances are when it fails someone will be standing on the ladder.

Assuming that the tape joint is robust enough, you are now relying on the bond of the paint to the metal to keep the ladder on the van.

EDIT: If your ladder hooks over the top of the rear door then VHB tape would be a reasonable choice, since it's not loaded in shear by the weight of the user and the ladder; it's just sticking the ladder to the van and the top hooks are distributing the load to the door.

BrianW 04-10-2015 09:09 AM

The ladder I have, and most that I have seen (at least the stainless ones), hooks over the top of the rear door and secures at the bottom with two bolts through the outside skin of the door. As such, I assume the load bearing is on the top of the door and not the lower bolts, which are there essentially to keep the ladder from moving around.

yondermountain 04-11-2015 09:52 AM

I use it for attaching a modified bike rack. I can hold two bikes back there and it is handy to be able to open the rear doors. I don't think it's too heavy for the door, but had my concerns about this early on. If you go into my gallery, you can see a few pics of it.
How do I grab a photo in my gallery and attach it into a thread? (I'm not the most computer savvy person...) This would be of great help to me. I just got my new rig about done and finally want to post some photos!
Thanks,
J

boywonder 04-11-2015 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yondermountain
How do I grab a photo in my gallery and attach it into a thread? (I'm not the most computer savvy person...) This would be of great help to me. I just got my new rig about done and finally want to post some photos!
Thanks,
J

Copy the link below each picture in your gallery that starts with [IMG] and paste those links into your post.

yondermountain 04-11-2015 05:51 PM

https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/gallery/im ... bc9553.jpg[/IMG]

boywonder 04-12-2015 08:12 AM

You've almost got it.........

The link that you copy and paste should start and end with [img]

Your link above is missing the [img] at the beginning. You can edit the post and add it; it should then display the picture in the post.

https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/gallery...720cbc9553.jpg

yondermountain 04-12-2015 09:55 AM

Thanks very much for the help! Got it now!
In this pic I only have one rack on, way to the side, I usually have two or three on there and they are balanced when they are weighted, works pretty well.
Thanks for the tech help,
J

reelchef67 04-20-2015 05:45 PM

What do you have the racks mounted to the ladder with?

yondermountain 04-20-2015 10:17 PM

its a standard thule rapid crossroad rack mount. normally i have two bike racks on there, more centered, but in the photo i had removed one. j

patrick51 04-22-2015 02:30 PM

Use ours even when in storage, to place the top cover tarp. Also for cleaning, pics. etc, but have often thought when up there, man if I fall!!!!!!!

martinli 08-17-2018 09:08 AM

Rear Door ladder - size and more

I have some questions looking at the Surco 093F99 Stainless Steel Van Ladder.

- what is the width of the ladder
- how much does it stick out (door <-> ladder depth)

- are you still be able to fully open the door?

Cheers so far,
Martin

martinli 08-21-2018 12:45 AM

Good morning,

it would be very appreciated if one has got the dimensions of the Surco ladder :e5:

BrianW 08-21-2018 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by martinli (Post 233825)
Good morning,

it would be very appreciated if one has got the dimensions of the Surco ladder :e5:

No offense, but did you do an online search for this? I just did and it took 5 seconds to come up with the answer.

martinli 08-21-2018 08:17 AM

@Brian, shame on me. I looked at the Sucro Website only , where I did not find any specification.
Also I mailed the customer service why they do not list the E350 of 2014 to be compatible where the earlier models are.

I'm going to search.... :b5:

Lenny 08-21-2018 08:17 AM

1 Attachment(s)
!4 inches wide and sticks out 6 inches from the door at the lower half. You can also buy it powder coated.

martinli 08-21-2018 08:27 AM

Sucro ladder dimensions

@Lenny, thanks so much.

What I found states it is 9" in the midle from door to ladder. Your 6 inches sounds better.

Where did you find it powder coated? I have googled but found only stainless steel, not black.
Are you able to open the door completely?

And is that ladder for the passenger side only or is it symmetric?

Lenny 08-21-2018 09:07 AM

No, my Surco ladder is 6 Inches at the most and 5inches at the bend towards the top. It's close if you open the door at 180 degrees but should clear. I would center it on the door and check clearance before attachment. You can always move it an inch or two if need be.
Don't remember where on the internet I got a power coated Surco rack but I think there is only on guy that does it and may be best to Google it. I think it was like a $100 bucks more. May be cheaper to have it done locally.

Lenny 08-21-2018 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lenny (Post 233843)
No, my Surco ladder is 6 Inches at the most and 5inches at the bend towards the top. It's close if you open the door at 180 degrees but should clear. I would center it on the door and check clearance before attachment. You can always move it an inch or two if need be.
Don't remember where on the internet I got a power coated Surco rack but I think there is only on guy that does it and may be best to Google it. I think it was like a $100 bucks more. May be cheaper to have it done locally.

It will also go on either door.

BrianW 08-21-2018 08:26 PM

Iíve had one for several years hanging in my shed. Bought it from a guy on CL locally. Keep thinking Iíll install it but still havenít gotten around to it.

martinli 01-03-2019 03:29 AM

Different ladder types from Surco for Ford

There are two different steel ladders available from Surco for the Ford E Vans.
One is for models until 1998 : product number 093F

the other is from 1999 until 2014 : product number 093F99

I was wondering what's the difference, since I thought the rear doors did not change in 1999. Asked Surco about it and got this answer :
"...the ladder are different lengths and the angles on the top hooks are different between the two ladders."

Did you know that there has been a change on the rear doors???

Cheers,
Martin

JWA 01-03-2019 04:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by martinli (Post 243346)

I was wondering what's the difference, since I thought the rear doors did not change in 1999. Asked Surco about it and got this answer :
"...[COLOR=windowtext]the ladder are different lengths and the angles on the top hooks are different between the two ladders."

I'm not sure why they're saying the rear doors are different---like yourself I am/was under the impression doors from 1992 through EOL in 2013 were pretty much interchangeable.

Door with or without rear glass are the same profile and fitment so that can't be a factor.

I do know front driver/passenger doors changed about 2003 only to accommodate the newer 4 post mirror mounting scheme.

This just doesn't make sense to me either.

JWA 01-03-2019 04:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by martinli (Post 243346)

"..the ladder are different lengths and the angles on the top hooks are different between the two ladders."

I'm not sure why they're saying the rear doors are different---like yourself I am/was under the impression doors from 1992 through EOL in 2013 were pretty much interchangeable.

Door with or without rear glass are the same profile and fitment so that can't be a factor. Bumper style shouldn't have an effect either--they all tend to mount in the same locations.

I do know front driver/passenger doors changed about 2003 only to accommodate the newer 4 post mirror mounting scheme.

Did they say why their ladders are two different lengths?

martinli 01-03-2019 08:50 AM

@JWA so we are both a bit irritated ...

no they just wrote me what I posted here.