Sportsmobile Forum

Sportsmobile Forum (https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/forums/)
-   General Sportsmobile (https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/forums/f9/)
-   -   Windshield wiper reccomendation? (https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/forums/f9/windshield-wiper-reccomendation-15361.html)

DosMars 06-30-2015 05:42 PM

Windshield wiper reccomendation?

Very unhappy with the brand I picked up last time (unfortunately can't recall the brand so I can stay away from them this time..)

What are people happy with?

2002 Ford e350

1der 06-30-2015 05:52 PM

Re: Windshield wiper reccomendation?

Costco for me. If van sits out in the sun, likely replacing every two years.

REF 06-30-2015 06:02 PM

Think its the Goodyear assurance beams I've been using available at costco, been pretty satisfied with them, and cheap through costco compared to other premium beam wipers sold elsewhere, anco, piaa, bosch, rain X....

DosMars 06-30-2015 06:03 PM

Costco has their own brand of windshield wipers?

(Edit for simulpost)

Pete320 06-30-2015 06:22 PM

I'm in Nor Cal, our Costco carries the Goodyear...have them on
all our vehicles...great price and no complaints...if you don't like them
you can always return them, no questions asked!

DosMars 06-30-2015 06:26 PM

Two thumbs up for Goodyear from Costco is good enough for me. Glad I posted this up, I was in the Pep Boys parking lot when I checked back in.. we just recently joined up at Costco and it didn't occur to me that they might carry them. Will head over when it stops raining :a1:

Viva 06-30-2015 06:27 PM

Since I'm not typically in snow country these days, I re-evaluated my choice of windshield wiper blades the last time I replaced them (used to automatically get Anco winter blades). Maybe I just fell for fancy ideas, but the sales person at the store when I bought them sort of reluctantly recommended Bosch Icon blades. Reluctantly because he really liked them, but felt sort of stereotypical recommending the most expensive ones. I decided to try them and I really like them. On top of the fact that they work well, the design slightly shields the rubber from UV, and they look less "cluttery" when I'm driving in dry conditions.

If you get them, note that there is a different part number for driver and passenger blade; they are curved slightly differently (at least on my '98 E-350).

DosMars 06-30-2015 06:35 PM

"If you get them, note that there is a different part number for driver and passenger blade; they are curved slightly differently (at least on my '98 E-350)."

Interesting, I wonder if the guy in the maintenance bay installed mine cutywumpas... they smeared so bad from day one I was thinking they might have gotten the part number screwed up and I wound up with the wrong wipers. We use them so infrequently here in So-Cal that I've just gritted my teeth. Just now getting an unexpected thunderstorm and figured I'd put an end to my suffering while I was in the neighborhood.

Thanks for the quick replies!

BroncoHauler 06-30-2015 06:41 PM

PIAA silicone wiper blades. I won't use anything but silicone blades.

Herb

depark 06-30-2015 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BroncoHauler
PIAA silicone wiper blades. I won't use anything but silicone blades.

Herb

X2 I have been using them for the last 3 years. Just replaced them this spring. I really like them! A little pricy though but worth it IMO.
Cheers
Darryl

mikracer 06-30-2015 08:04 PM

I recently bought the Costco Goodyear wipers as well (even though we aren't getting any rain in CA). I bought 1 size longer for the drivers side since the factory wipers seemed short.

ANZAC 07-01-2015 01:01 PM

I've been using Bosch Edge. Like them. A bit pricey.

boywonder 07-01-2015 04:35 PM

Wow...I've never heard of silicone blades, they sound pretty cool.

It somewhat winds me up that most auto parts stores now just stock blades instead of refills, although I have recently discovered (while driving through Flagstaff to the expo in the rain) that O'Reilly's has stock E350 refills behind the counter.

I'm also in So Cal so they typically get hammered by UV and dried out before seeing any meaningful rain......

Does anyone sell silicone refills for stock blades or are replacement blades the only option?

larrie 07-01-2015 06:06 PM

I try to replace mine once a year in later October. That way I have a fresh set for the winter rains. Usually buy the least expensive brand at the parts store.

After reading through this thread I will try the ones at Costo this fall.

rallypanam 07-01-2015 06:11 PM

You're supposed to replace the wipers?

depark 07-01-2015 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boywonder
Wow...I've never heard of silicone blades, they sound pretty cool.

Check them out. https://www.piaa.com/store/c/28-Wiper-Blades.aspx

ert01 07-01-2015 08:02 PM

How do silicone blades perform in winter conditions compared to regular blades? Our winters are harsh on wipers and I go through a set a year right now, if not more. I thought of going to heated blades too... Anyone have experience with those?

RandallDee 07-01-2015 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by depark

I'm guessing they coated that windshield with RainX before they made that video.

BrianW 07-01-2015 10:12 PM

Has anyone tried up-sizing the Ford E-van blades? They have always seemed so short to me. Not sure why they didn't spec longer blades.

I had plenty of time to contemplate this a week or so ago as we drove trough Tropical Storm Bill's rain for a few hours at highway speeds...

Waterski02 07-01-2015 10:42 PM

I upsized my driver side wiper last change. Think I went two inches over stock, no issues.

daveb 07-01-2015 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Waterski02
I upsized my driver side wiper last change. Think I went two inches over stock, no issues.

Me to.

sdwindansea 07-02-2015 02:50 PM

No need for wiper blades in Southern California, I took mine off to improve the aerodynamics :tomato:

carringb 07-02-2015 03:50 PM

I run 24" driver side 22" pass side. I like the Bosch Icons the best. The Rain-X Lattitude perform well too but the mounts are kinda chunky. I might try their Quantum blade next, since it maintains the Rainx coating.

depark 07-02-2015 03:57 PM

I say go big or go home! I have 26" blades on both sides. :a1: They just fit the windshield without hitting the trim. I drive from my wheelchair and sit really tall in the van. The 26's are a must for me. They also work really well in the winter up here in Canada.
Cheers
Darryl

BajaSportsmobile 07-02-2015 04:49 PM

Quote:

I say go big or go home! I have 26" blades on both sides. :a1: They just fit the windshield without hitting the trim. I drive from my wheelchair and sit really tall in the van. The 26's are a must for me. They also work really well in the winter up here in Canada.
Cheers
Darryl

I do the same.

boywonder 07-02-2015 04:56 PM

Quote:

I say go big or go home! I have 26" blades on both sides.

First bigger tires, then wheels, now wiper blades! Whats next, rear view mirrors? brakes? hey, wait a minute.......

BajaSportsmobile 07-02-2015 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boywonder
Quote:

I say go big or go home! I have 26" blades on both sides.

First bigger tires, then wheels, now wiper blades! Whats next?

Bigger Cojones...

https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/att...a2ae3dc0ce.jpg

Viva 07-02-2015 06:54 PM

I had never noticed it before, but I drove a friend's car for awhile (which has a big driver's side wiper blade) and when I got back in my E-350 the wipers looked positively stubby!

I never thought of running taller blades - duh!

BrianW 07-03-2015 01:25 PM

Windshield wiper reccomendation?

I'll have to try the upsized blades next time. I just bought new blades about a month or so ago. Drat. The stock ones look so tiny.

86Scotty 07-05-2015 10:01 AM

My practice in the last couple years has been to buy the super cheap ones more often. I think Michelin are the cheap ones that have replaced Ancos at most parts stores and I just buy them more often, like at least once or maybe twice a year. This goes without saying, I hope, but you need a good scratch free windshield for any wipers to do a decent job. On an off-road vehicle like an SMB that means a new one every few years, or maybe even more often.

DosMars 07-20-2015 10:20 AM

Wow, what a difference a blade makes! :l1:
Thunder storms from former hurricane Dolores off of Baja gave me a reason to hit Costco for new tires for the wife and new 26" Goodyear wiper blades for me! Had to wait until the storm passed to swap them out, but after a little monkeying around got the new blades installed.
Very impressed with the extra three inches top and bottom compared to the stock 20" blades. My wind shield is now as squeegee clean as it is when the winshield cleaner kids get through with it at the border.
Thanks for all the input everybody, well worth the time to post the question as opposed to guessing at the wiper isle at Pep Boys. (Not to mention the $10 or so I saved buying from Costco!)

Jeffrey 07-20-2015 11:23 AM

I found these sizes to be an improvement over the stock size:

26"drivers, 24" pass.

BillPa1 09-15-2015 02:36 PM

Pep Boys will install you wipers for free. Does Costco?

REF 09-15-2015 03:55 PM

No, but where's the satisfaction in having someone else do it?

Bbasso 09-22-2015 07:53 AM

I run two 17 inch wiper blades, cheapest possible. Because I use so much RainX they hardly ever get used.
Also the smaller the blades the less wear on the wiper assembly.

TheLetterJ 09-30-2015 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeffrey
I found these sizes to be an improvement over the stock size:

26"drivers, 24" pass.

I just put 26" blades on both sides and would have to agree that a 24" would have fit a little better on the passenger side (unless somebody makes a 25"?) I just cut a little bit off the outer edge and that is probably enough, anymore and it will be into the metal part. Now when is this "El Nino" supposed to hit so I can test these things out?

WeatherManVan 02-09-2021 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrianW (Post 155167)
Has anyone tried up-sizing the Ford E-van blades? They have always seemed so short to me. Not sure why they didn't spec longer blades.

I had plenty of time to contemplate this a week or so ago as we drove trough Tropical Storm Bill's rain for a few hours at highway speeds...

Sorry to bring this back from the dead, but I wanted to increase the size of my blades. I found on the ford truck forum that people go from 20" to 24". I can confirm this to be true. As long as your wiper arm is oriented correctly you will clear the radio antenna when flipping them up as well.

Here's a comparison of the wipe area:
https://i.ibb.co/26Tk5H2/wipers.jpg

I highly recommend replacing the wiper arms as well. It is SOOO EASY and the added spring tension is a world of difference on wipe quality. On my 2006 E-350 they are part #7C2Z17526A and $56.56 from Ford for the pair.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGUdJt0rhcY

Looking for a rain repellent? I storm chase frequently (see I get paid too) and I no longer use Rain-X, but use Aquapel instead. It is more difficult to apply, but lasts 4-5x as long and better repellant.
https://www.amazon.com/AQUAPEL-Appli...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

86Scotty 02-09-2021 07:19 PM

Interesting on the Aquapel. Never heard of it. I hate the old catch 22 here though. Buy one for $20 or 10 for $25 just to see if you like em. No bueno.

BroncoHauler 02-09-2021 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WeatherManVan (Post 290047)
...I highly recommend replacing the wiper arms as well. It is SOOO EASY and the added spring tension is a world of difference on wipe quality. On my 2006 E-350 they are part #7C2Z17526A and $56.56 from Ford for the pair...

Great recommendation. I may look into that for a few of my older vehicles.

Herb

BrianW 02-10-2021 05:32 AM

You can actually upsize to a 26 on the driver side, 24 on passenger. Just did it on my 2011, and also previously on my 1998 vans.