Sportsmobile Forum

Sportsmobile Forum (https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/forums/)
-   General Sportsmobile (https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/forums/f9/)
-   -   Rolled over SMB in Canyon Lands? (https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/forums/f9/rolled-over-smb-in-canyon-lands-21973.html)

arctictraveller 08-09-2018 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moorefc (Post 232771)
A neighbor of the owner verified the vehicle and that it has been repaired and is back in the driveway in Az...
Looking forward to hearing the story from the owner next time we get down that way

I suspect we are getting closer to learning what happened here, and indeed if this really is the van that Bob help recover. I'm looking forward to hearing the story.

shenrie 08-09-2018 10:51 AM

^^^ funny how small the word gets with the internet.

pic makes me sad to see. hope it all has a happy ending.

when looking into recovery methods for an instant like this i stumbled into a thing called a flip flop winch. google it. pretty cool method for vehicle extraction with less than ideal stuff.

86Scotty 08-09-2018 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shenrie (Post 232781)
^^^ funny how small the word gets with the internet.

pic makes me sad to see. hope it all has a happy ending.

when looking into recovery methods for an instant like this i stumbled into a thing called a flip flop winch. google it. pretty cool method for vehicle extraction with less than ideal stuff.

That. is. brilliant.

https://youtu.be/QFDGGht3CQU

BroncoHauler 08-09-2018 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 86Scotty (Post 232784)
That. is. brilliant.

https://youtu.be/QFDGGht3CQU

Absolutely awesome. I am glad he addressed the safety considerations, given how much tension there is in the ropes and how it could cause those logs to snap or swing wildly.


Herb

Twoxentrix 08-09-2018 12:39 PM

Never seen that before - Invaluable. Thats the kinda stuff i appreciate most.

TomH 08-09-2018 01:13 PM

AMAZING! Simple, effective, and minimal gear required. Love it.

arctictraveller 08-09-2018 05:19 PM

I've seen numerous recovery methods you can devise in the bush. Almost all of them require the use of several small logs, lashing, holes dug in the ground, and a lot of manual labor. If you happen to be stuck somewhere beyond outside assistance, and you don't have enough recovery gear, these methods can eventually get you out, but are labor intensive. For an old fat guy like me, having a good amount of recovery gear aboard, including a winch, will make the process a lot easier. Just the thought of trying to dig a hole in firm ground, big enough to bury my spare tire as an anchor point makes my back hurt. Better to have a buddy or two along, or natural anchor points. If I was stuck in the Darian gap with a broken winch, I suppose I'd start chopping and digging though. It's good to know there are options.......

rob_gendreau 08-09-2018 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arctictraveller (Post 232838)
I've seen numerous recovery methods you can devise in the bush. Almost all of them require the use of several small logs, lashing, holes dug in the ground, and a lot of manual labor. If you happen to be stuck somewhere beyond outside assistance, and you don't have enough recovery gear, these methods can eventually get you out, but are labor intensive. For an old fat guy like me, having a good amount of recovery gear aboard, including a winch, will make the process a lot easier. Just the thought of trying to dig a hole in firm ground, big enough to bury my spare tire as an anchor point makes my back hurt. Better to have a buddy or two along, or natural anchor points. If I was stuck in the Darian gap with a broken winch, I suppose I'd start chopping and digging though. It's good to know there are options.......

Yeah, I notice lots of SMBers often go alone (ie one van maybe two people). All my 4x4 friends with jeeps and such go in groups, which is the intelligent way to do it.

Faced with a daunting recovery scenario like that rollover I'd be tempted to just walk out and put the van on the eBay as is as soon as I got a signal.... :n5::n5:

86Scotty 08-09-2018 07:34 PM

When I see stuff like this I start to realize how the pyramids got constructed, how Stonehenge was built and how Easter Island came to be.

BroncoHauler 08-09-2018 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 86Scotty (Post 232848)
When I see stuff like this I start to realize how the pyramids got constructed, how Stonehenge was built and how Easter Island came to be.

Interstellar aliens. Definitely aliens. I'm hoping they come visit me if I ever have a rollover on the trail.

Probing not allowed!
:j4:




Herb


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:25 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.