Sportsmobile Forum

Sportsmobile Forum (https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/forums/)
-   General Sportsmobile (https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/forums/f9/)
-   -   Rolled over SMB in Canyon Lands? (https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/forums/f9/rolled-over-smb-in-canyon-lands-21973.html)

arctictraveller 08-24-2018 12:15 PM

I have no idea whats going on, but I submitted a question under the "contact us" tab and have yet to get a reply, so I sent a PM to Janet. Hopefully, she can figure this out.

achop 08-24-2018 03:32 PM

Does the Ford van's turning radius present challenges at the switchbacks?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeffrey (Post 234037)
Has it been confirmed that the location was Flint Road? I've done that in my '07 RB SMB, ascending. Doable, but be carefull. Here's a view of that area.

arctictraveller 09-01-2018 01:47 PM

So, Bob is waiting to respond here, but is still unable to post. I sent a note to the site owners asking them to look into this, but neither Bob or I have received a response, so I think someone is asleep at the wheel here. I suggested that Bob try again to join, but we will just have to wait and see what happens. Meanwhile, I'll send another note to Janet in hopes she can move him along. I know plenty of folks would love to hear the story of the recovery here.

achop 09-01-2018 01:56 PM

If it were only posting pictures that's at issue, I'm pretty sure, as a new member, I was able to create an album with photos and insert links to those images in my posts right away.... presuming I'd logged in. But sounds like he can't post anything.

Jeffrey 09-01-2018 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by achop (Post 234153)
Does the Ford van's turning radius present challenges at the switchbacks?

I don't remember, but it was tight. I might have done a couple three point turns on those switchbacks. Not recommended for EB's!

achop 09-01-2018 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeffrey (Post 234656)
I don't remember, but it was tight. I might have done a couple three point turns on those switchbacks. Not recommended for EB's!

That's what I was guessing ;-). Spotter or backup cam helpful.

arctictraveller 09-18-2018 10:50 AM

I talked with Bob at the Tahoe van meet, and he's still unable to post but he will email me with some additional photos and the whole story when he gets back home so I can post them for him.

Orv 09-18-2018 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carringb (Post 231463)
There's plenty or horror videos on YouTube where the rescued rig rolled away as soon as it was upright, sometimes taking the rescuing vehicle with it.

A rally driver once passed on this bit of wisdom: "No one ever thinks to set the parking brake when the car is on its roof." :n5:

Rally drivers stuff cars into tough places all the time, often after rolling them...I've seen some pretty impressive recoveries done by the rally sweep teams in the Pacific Northwest.

Orv 09-18-2018 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arctictraveller (Post 232838)
Just the thought of trying to dig a hole in firm ground, big enough to bury my spare tire as an anchor point makes my back hurt.

I once read a manual aimed at NGO workers (Peace Corps, etc.) teaching them how to drive on unimproved frontier roads in developing countries. The author noted that in places where he expected to get stuck in sand or mud a lot, he carried a boat anchor. There are ones designed to dig themselves in when pulled horizontally across a loose surface, then to let go when pulled straight upward.

I should see if I can re-locate that text. It had a lot of interesting advice on how to build and repair log bridges and the like. Stuff we rarely even think about here.

tlg 09-18-2018 12:52 PM

ORV, curious to see if that boat anchor is actually a "sea" anchor. There are folks offering deadman anchors for vehicles. Long been used in the mountaineering world. Similar concept.