Sportsmobile Forum

Sportsmobile Forum (https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/forums/)
-   General Sportsmobile (https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/forums/f9/)
-   -   Rolled over SMB in Canyon Lands? (https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/forums/f9/rolled-over-smb-in-canyon-lands-21973.html)

rallypanam 08-17-2018 12:17 AM

I don’t know what they’re trying to do with that line, but they’re doing it wrong.

Gooseberry 08-17-2018 12:32 AM

You are correct Bob was on the trip and the driver was trying not to drop the driver side into a washout and went to far passenger causing the roll. They did get it back on rubber and drove to town refueled stayed the night and made it back to the group the next day. I do have a video of the recovery but FB will not let me save to upload.

bad luck 08-17-2018 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rallypanam (Post 233515)
I don’t know what they’re trying to do with that line, but they’re doing it wrong.

Maybe they want to pull it end over end. I asked my wife and she didn't know about this. Does anyone know which section of the park this happened in?
Glad to hear they got it upright and were able to drive it though.

powderbum 08-17-2018 10:19 AM

Looks like Flint trail switchbacks to me.

arctictraveller 08-17-2018 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rallypanam (Post 233515)

I kinda doubt that. Bob has been teaching recovery classes for many years, and seems to have been successful here too. I'll reach out to him to see if he's willing to explain how he did this.

MountainBikeRoamer 08-17-2018 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gooseberry (Post 233517)
I do have a video of the recovery but FB will not let me save to upload.

So you have a video of the recovery uploaded on Facebook?
If so --- can you share the Facebook page link to that video?

(It's usually possible to view Facebook videos (and pages) without actually being logged into Facebook. *Unless of course you have the privacy settings for that particular video set to prevent this.)

After several weeks of the group talking about this rollover/recovery, there's gotta be several hundred of us following this thread and dying to see how it actually got resolved/solved.

:b5:

arctictraveller 08-17-2018 02:39 PM

I reached out to Bob, and here's his reply: "Hello Jeff...
Thanks for reaching out; VERY good to hear from you. Yes, that particular recovery was very difficult - mostly from the perspective of NOT wanting to do any damage to the fiberglass popup top on the van. Plus, the trail was VERY narrow, rough, and steep in grade."
I expect he might join us here and provide some additional information about this when he has a chance.

eddyturn 08-17-2018 04:49 PM

Note to self: take the Flint Trail off my to do list.

TomH 08-17-2018 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eddyturn (Post 233572)
Note to self: take the Flint Trail off my to do list.

No $#!+ !!

86Scotty 08-18-2018 01:41 PM

I'd do it. Can I borrow someone's van?

MountainBikeRoamer 08-18-2018 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 86Scotty (Post 233622)

Haha!!!!
I volunteer to ride shotgun with ya.
(Again, assuming it's **someone else's** van, lol....)

TomH 08-18-2018 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 86Scotty (Post 233622)

:n5: :n5: :d8:

86Scotty 08-18-2018 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MountainBikeRoamer (Post 233623)
Haha!!!!
I volunteer to ride shotgun with ya.
(Again, assuming it's **someone else's** van, lol....)

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomH (Post 233624)
:n5: :n5: :d8:

:D

Oh, and I forgot "Hold my beer!"

achop 08-18-2018 05:34 PM

I guess I don't need to ask, tho I was getting ready to:

Would you take your van over the short stretch visible in the photo:

... just to continue the awesome journey or reach awesome destination;
_____ Yes _______ No _______ Maybe

... because backing up is hellishly worse and standing still is not an option.

arctictraveller 08-22-2018 03:43 PM

Bob has agreed to post some photos of the recovery along with an explanation of how he got it done, but he has been unable to post anything yet. I think that's because he's a new member and an admin has to approve him? Anyway, stand by.............

Twoxentrix 08-22-2018 04:03 PM

Great job! Can't wait. Since reading this Thread I often find myself running through mental scenarios...like a show tune you cant get out of your head

TomH 08-22-2018 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arctictraveller (Post 233947)
Bob has agreed to post some photos of the recovery along with an explanation of how he got it done, but he has been unable to post anything yet. I think that's because he's a new member and an admin has to approve him? Anyway, stand by.............

ICBW, but I think you have to make a certain number of posts before you're allowed to attach pics. Not sure. Mods, could you waive that in this 1 case?

What a great resource it would be to have this fellow active on the forum!

rltilley 08-22-2018 06:07 PM

Wonder if they had the swaybars disconnected? Or if that would have made a difference? That looks like a nightmare.

BroncoHauler 08-22-2018 09:04 PM

Mods have the ability to delete posts, edit posts, turn a post into a Sticky, and ban members (nearly exclusively spammers). No real ability to much else. Sorry.

Herb

TomH 08-22-2018 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BroncoHauler (Post 233980)
Mods have the ability to delete posts, edit posts, turn a post into a Sticky, and ban members (nearly exclusively spammers). No real ability to much else. Sorry.

Herb

So, how much time has to go by before he can post? How much more time &/or how many posts does he have to make before he can attach pictures?

I know it's how the site is already set up, but it seems sorta unfriendly etiquette to ask him to post and show us his pics, but he has to jump through a bunch of hoops before he can do a favor for us. Is there any way we can help him?

larrie 08-22-2018 11:18 PM

All good things come to those that are patient.🤠🤡

daveb 08-22-2018 11:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by achop (Post 233643)
I guess I don't need to ask, tho I was getting ready to:

Would you take your van over the short stretch visible in the photo:

... just to continue the awesome journey or reach awesome destination;

... because backing up is hellishly worse and standing still is not an option.

IMO it all depends. If I think I might lose the van because I can't cross the obstacle safely I generally do what I can to turn around or backup. I have a couple of clinometers on the dash and avoid anything over 28 degree side tilt but you still have to factor in the downward angle not just the side to side tilt. It's those "I didn't expect that to happen" moments that can get you in trouble. Some times the sway bar disconnects are better left on but for the most part on trails like that I leave them off. I drove over a wash out once and never even felt the drop but it was a level trail. The vans front wheel dropped into the hole but the rear glided over it and the van stayed level the whole way. On a different trip I had to crawl over a rock to get past a downed tree and the van slipped off the rock. Put a dent in the body and crushed the tail pipe. I didn't have a choice to backup...a lousy feeling to say the least but I never thought it would have fallen off like it did. Oops.

Hard to say about this rollover picture on what really happened in this thread. Still you'd be surprised what these vans can take on. Here is a picture of CalClimber's (Craig) wife Cindy spotting a similar situation where we had to climb over a ledge that dropped off in an steep decent. It was sure fun but was kept us on out toes.

Gooseberry 08-23-2018 12:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MountainBikeRoamer (Post 233562)

(It's usually possible to view Facebook videos (and pages) without actually being logged into Facebook. *Unless of course you have the privacy settings for that particular video set to prevent this.)

After several weeks of the group talking about this rollover/recovery, there's gotta be several hundred of us following this thread and dying to see how it actually got resolved/solved.

It lets me save to Facebook but not link sorry.

Gooseberry 08-23-2018 12:08 AM

Rolled over SMB in Canyon Lands?

Quote:

Originally Posted by MountainBikeRoamer (Post 233562)

Does this work

Should be us at the end had my dash cam on

Yep can’t load the video

shenrie 08-23-2018 06:29 AM

^^^ you can’t right click the vid on fb and copy the url?

I would think all bob would need to do is come to this thread and answer questions that folks had 1 post at a time. By the time he answered questions he would have enough time spent here that he could post pix without any issues.

Either way that’s awesome he’s willing to come to this forum and educate us a little!

Jeffrey 08-23-2018 10:14 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Has it been confirmed that the location was Flint Road? I've done that in my '07 RB SMB, ascending. Doable, but be carefull. Here's a view of that area.

arctictraveller 08-23-2018 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shenrie (Post 234020)
I would think all bob would need to do is come to this thread and answer questions that folks had

So far, Bob has been unable to post anything. He signed up, but has yet to receive a confirmation email. I've sent a note by way of the "contact us" tab, but I have not gotten a reply yet. I suppose all we can do now is wait.

Jeffrey 08-24-2018 11:06 AM

All Bob has to do is send you the info and you can post it.

arctictraveller 08-24-2018 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeffrey (Post 234128)
All Bob has to do is send you the info and you can post it.

I've considered that, but would prefer that he is able to become a contributing member here. I'm sure that will happen soon, I've never heard of anyone else having this problem.

BroncoHauler 08-24-2018 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arctictraveller (Post 234045)
So far, Bob has been unable to post anything. He signed up, but has yet to receive a confirmation email. I've sent a note by way of the "contact us" tab, but I have not gotten a reply yet. I suppose all we can do now is wait.

I didn't even know the Confirmation E-mail was a thing here. I signed up long ago, and don't remember that, or if it even existed when I signed up. Yet we get the occasional spammer getting an account. FWIW, I do not see new members account requests.

Herb

arctictraveller 08-24-2018 12:15 PM

I have no idea whats going on, but I submitted a question under the "contact us" tab and have yet to get a reply, so I sent a PM to Janet. Hopefully, she can figure this out.

achop 08-24-2018 03:32 PM

Does the Ford van's turning radius present challenges at the switchbacks?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeffrey (Post 234037)
Has it been confirmed that the location was Flint Road? I've done that in my '07 RB SMB, ascending. Doable, but be carefull. Here's a view of that area.

arctictraveller 09-01-2018 01:47 PM

So, Bob is waiting to respond here, but is still unable to post. I sent a note to the site owners asking them to look into this, but neither Bob or I have received a response, so I think someone is asleep at the wheel here. I suggested that Bob try again to join, but we will just have to wait and see what happens. Meanwhile, I'll send another note to Janet in hopes she can move him along. I know plenty of folks would love to hear the story of the recovery here.

achop 09-01-2018 01:56 PM

If it were only posting pictures that's at issue, I'm pretty sure, as a new member, I was able to create an album with photos and insert links to those images in my posts right away.... presuming I'd logged in. But sounds like he can't post anything.

Jeffrey 09-01-2018 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by achop (Post 234153)
Does the Ford van's turning radius present challenges at the switchbacks?

I don't remember, but it was tight. I might have done a couple three point turns on those switchbacks. Not recommended for EB's!

achop 09-01-2018 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeffrey (Post 234656)
I don't remember, but it was tight. I might have done a couple three point turns on those switchbacks. Not recommended for EB's!

That's what I was guessing ;-). Spotter or backup cam helpful.

arctictraveller 09-18-2018 10:50 AM

I talked with Bob at the Tahoe van meet, and he's still unable to post but he will email me with some additional photos and the whole story when he gets back home so I can post them for him.

Orv 09-18-2018 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carringb (Post 231463)
There's plenty or horror videos on YouTube where the rescued rig rolled away as soon as it was upright, sometimes taking the rescuing vehicle with it.

A rally driver once passed on this bit of wisdom: "No one ever thinks to set the parking brake when the car is on its roof." :n5:

Rally drivers stuff cars into tough places all the time, often after rolling them...I've seen some pretty impressive recoveries done by the rally sweep teams in the Pacific Northwest.

Orv 09-18-2018 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arctictraveller (Post 232838)
Just the thought of trying to dig a hole in firm ground, big enough to bury my spare tire as an anchor point makes my back hurt.

I once read a manual aimed at NGO workers (Peace Corps, etc.) teaching them how to drive on unimproved frontier roads in developing countries. The author noted that in places where he expected to get stuck in sand or mud a lot, he carried a boat anchor. There are ones designed to dig themselves in when pulled horizontally across a loose surface, then to let go when pulled straight upward.

I should see if I can re-locate that text. It had a lot of interesting advice on how to build and repair log bridges and the like. Stuff we rarely even think about here.

tlg 09-18-2018 12:52 PM

ORV, curious to see if that boat anchor is actually a "sea" anchor. There are folks offering deadman anchors for vehicles. Long been used in the mountaineering world. Similar concept.