Sportsmobile Forum

Sportsmobile Forum (https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/forums/)
-   Homemade SMB - Ground Up Builds (https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/forums/f24/)
-   -   Need Adhesive for CCV Poptop Gasket (https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/forums/f24/need-adhesive-for-ccv-poptop-gasket-26284.html)

Otter 06-02-2020 12:22 AM

Need Adhesive for CCV Poptop Gasket
 
The rubber gasket on the bottom of my CCV Poptop is refusing to stay on. It’s a pinch-type deal but, since there’s no lip for it to pinch to, it keeps falling off. I need some kind of light adhesive that will coax it to stay on without permanently binding it to the fiberglas. Any suggestions?

https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/fo...ture42914.jpeg
.

maxx 06-02-2020 12:27 AM

Subscribed. I don't have a solution but my old sportsmobile penthouse top has the same issue.

1der 06-02-2020 01:17 AM

Try this for the CCV bulb seal
3M Black Super Weatherstrip and Gasket Adhesive, 08008

Is the seal hanging up on the awning bracket fasteners? The Allen head of the bolts should be on the pop top side and the nuts on the outside. The allen head allows the bulb seal to glide over while raising and lowering the top.

shenrie 06-02-2020 07:14 AM

The 3m stuff 1der mentioned is good, but sometimes all it takes is to bend the metal ushaped material inside the gasket back into shape so it pinches the top enough to stay in place again. Always try the free stuff first ;)

boywonder 06-02-2020 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1der (Post 274200)
T
Is the seal hanging up on the awning bracket fasteners? The Allen head of the bolts should be on the pop top side and the nuts on the outside. The allen head allows the bulb seal to glide over while raising and lowering the top.


Button head fasteners have much lower profile heads and larger diameter bearing surface.......

Otter 06-02-2020 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1der (Post 274200)
Try this for the CCV bulb seal
3M Black Super Weatherstrip and Gasket Adhesive, 08008

Is the seal hanging up on the awning bracket fasteners? The Allen head of the bolts should be on the pop top side and the nuts on the outside. The allen head allows the bulb seal to glide over while raising and lowering the top.


Thanks, Ray. Iíll give that 3M a try. And no, the seal has been falling off from the beginning. I just installed the awning yesterday which, by the way, works great with the z-brackets, a genius idea! Since my awning is a Thule, I had to do some modifications to utilize its sliding t-bolt track. So far, so good.
.

Otter 06-02-2020 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shenrie (Post 274205)
The 3m stuff 1der mentioned is good, but sometimes all it takes is to bend the metal ushaped material inside the gasket back into shape so it pinches the top enough to stay in place again. Always try the free stuff first ;)

LOL, I pinched the heck out of it for months. It seems to me the design needs
Something like a little lip for that pinch process to work. Otherwise, gravity wants to win.
.

Steve Hunt 06-02-2020 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1der (Post 274200)
Try this for the CCV bulb seal
3M Black Super Weatherstrip and Gasket Adhesive, 08008

Is the seal hanging up on the awning bracket fasteners? The Allen head of the bolts should be on the pop top side and the nuts on the outside. The allen head allows the bulb seal to glide over while raising and lowering the top.

I'm not familiar with that 3M product but plan to check it out. I have used the 3M 5200 Marine adhesive many times successfully in boat and other applications.

1der 06-02-2020 08:28 PM

5200 is incredible stuff, yes, widely used in boating, especially stanchions. 5200 is tenacious!!! Very difficult to remove whatever it is used on. 4200 is a bit less tenacious but still very strong.

The weatherstrip is good for Otter's application. Only concerning have is that it keeps some elasticity when it cures. Another potential solution would be a clear silicone ADHESIVE. That cures well, too.

BroncoHauler 06-02-2020 08:58 PM

Why not reach out to forum member MSD, who works at CCV?


Herb


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:14 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.