Sportsmobile Forum

Sportsmobile Forum (https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/forums/)
-   Forum Support | Suggestions, Account Concerns and News (https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/forums/f23/)
-   -   Ads (https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/forums/f23/ads-29348.html)

marret 10-07-2021 12:32 PM

Ads

Has the forum ramped up ads lately?

Just started seeing more ads maybe a couple days ago including a pop up at the bottom of the page that takes up close to an inch on my iPad.

Now it seems with all the active/animated ads pages are taking longer to fully load.

Super annoying. This site used to be pretty good about ads, not any more. As bad as expedition portal now.

I know ads keep the doors open, but if this is the future I would be willing to pay a reasonable annual subscription for no ads.
I use an ad blocker on my computer.

Twoxentrix 10-07-2021 12:55 PM

Chris, I have not experienced the same...only see what's been evident for the last couple years (One banner across the top and several Ad boxes on the right side above & below the "recent threads"
However, If I'm not logged in, it does become annoying & ridiculous. Are you sure you are logged on?

marret 10-07-2021 07:31 PM

Thanks Felix. I am definitely logged in/on.

Just logged in on my Android phone, big animated ad at the top. Nothing currently at the bottom. Big video add on one of the sub forums too. I really hate video ads that I pay for with my data plan.

86Scotty 10-07-2021 08:44 PM

Agreed. This is getting worse everywhere. I can't believe we've essentially accepted this as a society. Youtube is beyond worthless. Expedition Portal is not only worthless but shameless.

Oogs 10-07-2021 08:56 PM

If you have the technical skills, check out PiHole on a raspberry pi. It blocks all ads at your network level. Been using it for a couple years now and it works well and blocks most ads on my browser and when using Tapatalk. Especially the annoying auto play ones.

SteelheadJones 10-08-2021 01:29 AM

I use the Brave browser which apparently works very well as I had no idea lots of ads are showing up. I don’t see even one.

marret 10-08-2021 11:43 AM

Thanks everyone.

Definitely agree Eric.

Ok, went with Adblock Plus. Allow acceptable ads setting still allowed too many. Turned that off and now I’m good.

86Scotty 10-08-2021 05:13 PM

I should do the same Chris. I turned it off a few years ago when so many sites were objecting to it but even if I have to pay for it nowadays I should do it.

simplesez 10-08-2021 09:17 PM

It's another reason I'm amazed billions of people are on Facebook. How can such a crappy website not offer an advertisement opt-out for even a few bucks a month. It is intolerable how much they blast you with ads.

marret 10-09-2021 04:17 AM

Yep on Facebook, but I don’t Facebook. Same with advrider. At least they offer an opt out pay choice, too expensive. I suggested tiered memberships like FTE or Ducati.ms.

Eric, if you are talking cost for Adblock Plus, I believe it is free and they take/ ask for donations every year or so. Just donated yesterday. Use it on my Windows computer as well. Certain sites I allow ads. Many though, if the site doesn’t allow me on it with Adblock Plus running, I just go elsewhere.