Sportsmobile Forum

Sportsmobile Forum (
-   General Sportsmobile (
-   -   Transprt Canada says NO (

oldgoat 10-01-2007 12:49 PM

Transprt Canada says NO
Transprt Canada says NO to registering a Sportsmobile.

Are there any Canadians out there who have successfully registered a Quigley Ford 350 conversion?

I would appreciate knowledge on the process with Transport Canada.

Much appreciated.

oldgoat 10-03-2007 04:29 PM

Does anyone know and have contact with a Canadian SMB owner?

SMB claims that a dozen or so are in Canada.


jage 10-03-2007 04:48 PM

I'd try googling sportsmobile canada and start hitting people with email. Don't forget to tell them about the site!

I do know some people in Toronto and other parts of Canada, but they're not SMB owners so I don't know what/if it will do any good to ask them specfic questions.

Might try too, they've got a good class B forum.

Jeffrey 10-03-2007 04:59 PM

So, there are no van conversions in all of Canada?

Hard to believe...

solarbiz 10-03-2007 07:52 PM

I am interested also as I am looking to buy one (hopefully used) and import to Ontario, Canada.

smb4me 10-03-2007 08:31 PM

can you elaborate? no to registering the smb as a motor vehicle or as a motor home per-se?
i know of folks in vancouver and in toronto with roadtrek (class b motorhomes),
in fact, top 2 to 3 van converters, i.e., roadtreak, pleasure-way, are manufacturered in canada..

oldgoat 10-03-2007 10:18 PM

All SMB vin numbers specify that the vehicle was shipped incomplete, denoting that a second manufacturer completed the vehicle.

Sportsmobile is not listed by Transport Canada as an approved secondary manufacturer.

Sportsmobile can apply for this status however that it their decision. I am communication with the compliance officer at transport Canada in an attempt to have my SMB approved.

It might be quicker to register it in Montana howver that would involve exporting the vehicle back into the US.

In the US SMB is approved.

oldgoat 10-05-2007 09:48 PM

Unfortunately I'm being forced to sell my SMB due to not being able to register it in Canada. It will be parked in Montana waiting to be sold. :a6:

Sportsmobile is working on being certified in Canada and won't have a problem because of the quality of construction however it it will only be for units up to 5 years old.

Anyone looking for a good price on a 99 350 Ford 7.3 Diesel, 96000 miles, penthouse with bed, 4 captain seats, fridge sink, Serius radio, Aluminus bumpers with baja box, ladder, news wheels and tires, driving lights, roof racks, ets... and in excellent condition. My friends thought it was new!

Watch for it on the SMB website next week. :c4:

jage 10-05-2007 10:53 PM

Wow. That bites. It doesn't make sense.

Feel free to post for sale here of course. Do you think you'll buy another one when there is a registerable version?

I'm sorry, what a horrible thing to have your SMB taken away from you.
:a6: :a6: :a6: :a6: :a6:

oldgoat 10-05-2007 11:07 PM

Yah - I'm pissed to say the least. Looked for a year for the right SMB and finally found it, flew to Denver, bought it, and drove it home to BC only to have a faceless Fed say NO. It could have a happy ending however.

Ford has shipped the 08's to SMB with a complete serial number. The incomplete serial number raised the flag with transport Canada, regardless that the only incomplete parts from Ford were seat covers and window shades. A complete serial number will slip through like butter!

I'm planning to order a new unit given that I sell the unit I have now. Same specs same everything, just no flag from the incomplete VIN number. How stupid is that!

See the specs and photos in the classified/ photo album for my current SMB.

oldgoat 10-10-2007 08:37 PM

Official beaucratic BS for your enjoyment!
Dear Mr. Savage,

We are writing further to your e-mail accompanied with a link leading to the final stage manufacturer Internet site, regarding the importation of 99 Ford 350 Econoline manufactured by Sportsmobile. To help you understand the admissibility process, may we draw your attention to the following:

First, we would like to explain you that a vehicle is NOT admissible if the manufacturer is no longer in business at the date of importation, since the manufacturer will not be able to support the certification anymore, nor will it be able to issue "Notices of Defect" when needed, as required under Section 10 of the Motor Vehicle Safety Act (MVSA). However, if the manufacturer is still operational, the following applies:

The reason why some vehicles are on the admissible list for importation into Canada while some others are not, is that we received, for all admissible vehicles, test and certification documents from the manufacturer of the vehicle, demonstrating that it has a certification program, which indicates that it can certify its vehicles to Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards (FMVSS), in the U.S. Section 7 of the MVSA requires that vehicles comply to all applicable U.S. FMVSS, on the day of manufacture, and to enter the Registrar of Imported Vehicles (RIV) program proof must be available.

Upon receiving the test documents, Transport Canada (TC) evaluates them and writes a Test Summary to the manufacturer stating that the vehicle could be added to the Admissible list, or, if there is a lack of information, TC asks the manufacturer to address all missing or incomplete items.

If a vehicle has not been placed on the admissible list by the manufacturer, the importer (you) may contact TC and provide a clear picture of the Compliance Label affixed by the final stage manufacturer , and/or a letter of compliance from the final stage manufacturer. Upon receiving that letter, TC may ask the importer to ask the manufacturer to furnish all applicable test documents for TC to evaluate, on a case-by-case basis, and, if all the certification documents are acceptable, the vehicle could be imported even if it is not on the list. This model can also be added to the admissible list if the manufacturer prefers. Then there will be no further need to send test documents every time this specific model will be imported into Canada by an individual.

Therefore, to help us to assist you in this matter, could you please provide this office with a picture of the Compliance Label affixed by the final stage manufacturer, i.e.; Sportmobile, and some pictures of the interior and exterior of the van (Seats, windows, trim etc.), and have the final stage manufacturer (Sportmobile) provide this office with applicable test records for FMVSS 207, 208, 210 and 302. Upon receiving this information, we will evaluate the admissibility of your vehicle, and if need be, we will contact you to obtain missing information. If the final stage manufacturer expresses a desire to place certain models on the Canadian admissibility list, we can deal with the company directly. We have attached two documents to this e-mail. The first one is the New Manufacturer document, and the other is the registration form for foreign manufacturers. We suggest that you provide the manufacturer with the attached documents.

If the company cannot supply the certification documents, the vehicle is NOT admissible for importation into Canada, since Sportmobile is the only one who can certify the vehicle to Federal standards. A provincial mechanical fitness check is unrelated.

Please note that the MVSA gives no discretionary power to Transport Canada's inspectors to decide, on an arbitrary basis, to allow a non-compliant vehicle to be imported into Canada without evidence of compliance with applicable FMVSS. It is illegal to import non-compliant vehicles into Canada and non-complying importers are liable under sections 7, and 17 "Offences and Punishment" of the MVSA and section 489.1 to 491.2 of the Criminal Code.

We hope this information is satisfactory.



Sylvain Lalime
Regulation Enforcement Officer Road Safety and Motor Regulation / Agent d'application des règlements Sécurité routière et réglementation automobile
Transport Canada | Place de Ville (ASFA), Ottawa, Ontario K1A 0N5
Transports Canada | Place de Ville (ASFA) Ottawa (Ontario) K1A 0N5

Government of Canada | Gouvernement du Canada

mhr900ss 07-14-2016 11:17 PM

I'm also in Canada and researched this a year ago. I contacted Sprotsmobile directly and they wrote back stating that they had not completed the paperwork to meet the TC regulations and had no plans to do so.

I have seen a new Quadvan 15 seater bus for sale in Fort St John, BC and an older Sportsmobile in Whitecourt, Alberta. I didn't get close enough to see what type of 4x4 conversion it had.

Please read this:

Section 5.6 - Van and Truck Conversion (Travel or Other)

Note that "Sportsmobile" is not on the list but Quigley is for Ford vehicles built 2007 to 2014.

Note that at the bottom of the page its states the following;

"All other van and truck conversions not shown as admissible on this list are inadmissible unless not regulated at importation due to age (older than 15 years)."

Here's the link to "Explanations":
Before You Import - Explanations on Mandatory Compliance

The explanations notes state the following:

"13. IMPORTATION OF VEHICLES (15) YEARS OLD OR OLDER AND BUSES MANUFACTURED BEFORE JANUARY 1, 1971 - Vehicles fifteen (15) years old or older, as determined by the month and year of manufacture, and buses manufactured before January 1, 1971, are no longer regulated under the Motor Vehicle Safety Act by virtue of their age. While Transport Canada does not regulate the importation of these vehicles, it does not preclude the vehicles from having to meet provincial/territorial safety and licensing requirements. Importers of such vehicles are required to complete a Vehicle Import Form 1, at the time of importation, and present proof of ownership. Also, please contact the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) for clearance requirements."

Oldgoat's 99 is older than 15 years and a Quigley so there may still be a chance yet.

wish41 07-15-2016 04:13 AM

Good information, but note that Oldgoat's post is about 9 years old - one of the original members and posts on this forum!

BroncoHauler 07-15-2016 06:44 AM

Buy a base van, register it, and then have it converted?

dick 07-15-2016 07:37 AM

Side Topic: We just did 10 days in BC in our van... I've never had so many questions/thumbs up/Comments. Every stop was like a national park visitor's center. The Canadian market seems ripe for a good conversion company.

Oh, and if you haven't done a BC trip...

Jsweezy 07-15-2016 08:10 AM

They do have these guys not far from there...

Sportsman 44

mhr900ss 07-15-2016 08:54 AM

Apologies! I was bouncing around the forum on a bunch of current threads and missed the original post date. I agree that a Canadian converter could do a lot of business and I'm glad this topic is alive again. I will start it fresh under a new topic heading to clean it up and avoid any further confusion.

From the 4x4 perspective, I have looked at the Sportsman guys in Kamloops and their work looks good and pretty hardcore. That Quadvan I saw in Fort St John looked like a Ford factory product however due to the use of F350 components. I've never seen a Quigley to compare.

There are some folks in Richmond or Surrey (Greater Vancouver) that do pop-top, slant-back roof conversions but they have never responded to any queries of mine so I gave up on them.

I think if Sportsmobile were to set-up a smaller shop in Canada and work out their legal issues with respect to registration of vehicles here, they could do some good business. I was told (I think by Sportsmobile) that one of the reasons camper vehicles are so popular in the USA is due to a tax allowance that does not exist in Canada.

Dick: next time you are up this way, please tell me! I'd love to see your vehicle. I live in a small town called Gibsons on the Sunshine Coast.

Jsweezy 07-15-2016 09:56 AM

If your referring to GTRV about the pop top slant roofs, they no longer do those up there. They only have the one location in California now.

BVerhulst 07-15-2016 12:21 PM

If it makes you feel better (it probably won't), we can't bring diesel motorcycles into the USA (such as the diesel Kawasaki KLR). The only reason: there is no diesel engine check-box on the motorcycle registration form :k8:

mhr900ss 07-15-2016 03:52 PM

Hi all: I just started a fresh thread for this discussion. Many thanks for your contributions so far

SteelheadJones 07-15-2016 06:21 PM

Link to that thread?

gnty 07-15-2016 08:23 PM


Originally Posted by BroncoHauler (Post 179380)
Buy a base van, register it, and then have it converted?

You can do that if you just have the interior converted, can do any suspension mods in the u.s. and bring it back to Canada.

15 years and older is fair game for importation, even 4wd.

We are lacking in a camper conversion company. We have 2 choices for 4wd conversions, sportsman/Clydesdale and DYI ujoint kit. Soon a 3rd, DYI mg metalworks.

PvT 07-15-2016 11:26 PM

Mhr900ss: I've also had my ear to this query and found this thread a while back, also from a few years ago, here's the link to the that one:

jpau00 07-16-2016 07:58 AM

I know there is a conversion company called Getaway in Abbotsford BC. They sell RVs but also do custom conversions.
It sounds like BroncoHauler has the right idea. Get the 4X4 done, register and then have a conversion done. If an SMB conversion is still an issue, perhaps Getaway would be a good option, seeing as they are in Canada. It looks like they do some nice work.
Get-Away RV* | Langley RV Dealership | Selling the best RV brands like Aliner, Durango, Stone Ridge, and more!*

mhr900ss 07-16-2016 08:40 PM

Hi guys: please jump this to the new topic I opened for this refreshed discussion:

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:59 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.