Sportsmobile Forum

Sportsmobile Forum (https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/forums/)
-   Meetups and Trip Reports (https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/forums/f17/)
-   -   So Cal Meetup 10AM Sat Jan 15th at Bolsa Chica State Beach (https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/forums/f17/so-cal-meetup-10am-sat-jan-15th-at-bolsa-chica-state-beach-5532.html)

KTMRIDER 12-28-2010 11:36 PM

So Cal Meetup 10AM Sat Jan 15th at Bolsa Chica State Beach

Any interest in getting together on Sat Jan 15th somewhere near San Clemente or within an hour of that area, maybe OC somewhere? Mac will be in town from Vegas getting a lift put on his van and it might be a good time to get together again for us So Cal folks and meet at least one out of state person. I know there are some camping areas down that way so maybe some of you that live near there can make some recommendations on where to meet, or camp Jan 14th/15th if interested. Maybe one of the spots near the ocean?
Eric

Updated to show we are meeting around 10AM January 15th, 2011 at Bolsa Chica State Beach.

SteveAndLillian 12-30-2010 11:56 AM

Re: So Cal Meetup Sat Jan 15th around San Clemente area?

Hey KTM, the wife and I are in. Do you have any more info on the location yet? Or is there another place on the site with the info? Thanks I'm still figuring out the site, Thanks again for the bumper!

macmcintire 12-30-2010 12:38 PM

I'm obviously in. Just need to know when and where to hook up. I will keep my eye on this discussion stream to see when a location has been determined. Anywhere along the coast is great for us, even if just for a breakfast meet-up or picnic lunch on Saturday. Of course we will need to find a place to camp on Friday anyway.

Thanks KTM for putting this together.

Mac

Ford_6L_E350 12-30-2010 02:36 PM

Sounds interesting. I might drive down for a meetup.

KTM, you just have to find a place for us to meet/camp.

Thanks,

Mike

dowgars 12-30-2010 02:39 PM

A possibility for me. RD

Gooseberry 12-30-2010 06:45 PM

Im in

To bad Rincon road is closed.

surfgeek33 12-31-2010 12:57 AM

I would love to meet up with you guys. Unfortunately, that is my call weekend :a6: Maybe next time.

KTMRIDER 12-31-2010 01:27 AM

I don't know too many places to camp/meet down that way. I have camped at the San Onofre bluffs campground when I had my trailer but it was full on reserveamerica.com per SteveinLA. I didn't think it was fantastic but it was fine. He also mentioned the San Mateo campground still had spaces, not sure how nice that place is or how many really are going to camp. Steve had suggested a day meet at Old Man's beach or the bluffs day use area but we would need more specifics on how to get there. Anyone have any more specific suggestions? Is that the beach before you get to the Marine base open area? There is surfing out that way so it would be a good meeting place for anyone looking to do that type of thing.
Also, I think there are some RV park type places along the beach in Orange County. I recall seeing one near a dog park but I can't remember the city it was in, maybe the Newport Beach area?
Eric

surfgeek33 12-31-2010 10:27 AM

The one next to "Dog Beach" dog park is Bolsa Chica State beach. Its where we had our last So. Cal M&G. Its a great place to park for the day and BBQ, surf, play in the sand, etc. Its also has an RV only camp ground that a full SMB w/ hook ups, just incase anyone wants to stay over night. They have many parking lots, so everyone can pard next to each other. If you guys decide to meet here, I can even swing by, since its close to work, just in case I get called in. :a3:

macmcintire 12-31-2010 11:25 AM

KTM:

Bolsa Chica sounds great. Those, like us, who want to camp there on Friday night can try to get a spot. There are sites available. Those who can only come on Saturday could come in the morning and spend a few hours or the entire day at the beach.

If this is where you want to hold the get together, let us know. I will book a campsite immediately for myself once the location is confirmed.

Thanks,

Mac

KTMRIDER 12-31-2010 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by macmcintire
KTM:

Bolsa Chica sounds great. Those, like us, who want to camp there on Friday night can try to get a spot. There are sites available. Those who can only come on Saturday could come in the morning and spend a few hours or the entire day at the beach.

If this is where you want to hold the get together, let us know. I will book a campsite immediately for myself once the location is confirmed.

Thanks,

Mac

Bolsa Chica it is! Should be an easy meeting spot with beach view and access. Not sure how the surfing is for those that want to surf but it sounds like it might be the best spot for a get together with the vans. What time do you guys want to shoot for?
Eric

macmcintire 12-31-2010 11:55 AM

I'll be camping there on Friday night. Don't know how early people will want to get there on Saturday morning. Should we say rally around 10:00 am? That way we can just meet in the morning for those who don't want to spend their entire Saturday -- perhaps have picnic lunch together.

billwilson 12-31-2010 12:31 PM

Barring unforseen BS at my office
we will be there

bw

macmcintire 12-31-2010 03:00 PM

Got a camping site (parking spot) at Bolsa Chica State Beach. Wow was it expensive! $73 for the night for a Walmart parking lot camping experience (except it's right on the ocean). I was surprised the wife said yes to it. She prefers getting out as far away from other people as possible when we camp. We typically go to So. Carlsbad SB for a week of camping each May and that's about as crowded as we ever experience camping. However we are going to Yosemite for the first time this May and understand that can be an overcrowded experience. So perhaps Bolsa Chica will be a good precursor for that.

See you guys on Friday the 14th or Saturday the 15th of January. :b4:

Ford_6L_E350 12-31-2010 04:34 PM

Mac,

Do you have a campsite #, in case we want to see if we can get near you?

My wife said to get Fri and Sat nights.

Mike

macmcintire 12-31-2010 05:07 PM

Hi Mike,

Our campsite is B21. There is (was) a campsite available directly across from ours. We will be leaving Saturday afternoon because I have to fly out to Detroit on business on Monday.

It will be great to see you again.

Mac

Ford_6L_E350 12-31-2010 05:32 PM

We have site #22 for Fri and Sat nights.

Hope to see a bunch of you there!

Mike

cellularSTEVE 12-31-2010 07:33 PM

Re: So Cal Meetup 10AM Sat Jan 15th at Bolsa Chica State Beach

I'm out. I have plans Saturday morning and was going to come in the late afternoon and maybe stay Saturday night. Sorry I will miss you guys!

steve :c3:

macmcintire 12-31-2010 07:43 PM

Steve:

Mike will be staying Saturday night. There may be others who will be around in the afternoon and evening Saturday. Keep an eye on this discussion stream to see who else will be around. Unfortunately I need to leave in the early afternoon to get back to Vegas. But if I knew you were coming by, say 2:00 p.m, I'd hang around to say hello.

Still hope to see you there.

Mac

surfgeek33 12-31-2010 09:33 PM

Mac and Mike,

Since you you guys are staying at the campsite, you may have to take your rig on a regular parking lot for the meet up. The sites are not too big for more than 2 cars and people can not enter the site site with out reservations. Bolsa Chica SB has a series of parking lots, only 1 parking lot is dedicated to the campsite, and all others lots are available to anyone. There is good surf on the north side of the main tower and by the jetty. Unfortunately, these parking spaces fill up really quick. The north parking lots are better for meet ups, since they don't fill up at all. Also there is an entrance fee. Don't know how much though, since I have a state beach annual pass.

macmcintire 01-01-2011 08:36 AM

Thanks Surfgeek. We will find a place where we can all park. Hopefully we will get a good group of Sportsmobiles and take up a few parking spots ourselves.

Harry 01-03-2011 06:20 PM

Hi So Cal Meetup Members. I just reserved a campsite for Fri and Sat. Look forward to meeting up with all the other Sportsmobile owners.

Ford_6L_E350 01-03-2011 07:39 PM

Hi Harry,

Look forward to meeting you and your rig.

The more the merrier!!!

Mike

cellularSTEVE 01-03-2011 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by macmcintire
Steve:

Mike will be staying Saturday night. There may be others who will be around in the afternoon and evening Saturday. Keep an eye on this discussion stream to see who else will be around. Unfortunately I need to leave in the early afternoon to get back to Vegas. But if I knew you were coming by, say 2:00 p.m, I'd hang around to say hello.

Still hope to see you there.

Mac

Thanks Mac,
I am not sure yet. We are attending a baptism in the morning/early afternoon so I am unsure of the time I could make it down there. I will keep you posted.

jlrray 01-05-2011 12:27 AM

Darn it! This sounds like fun. I'll be up North freezing my butt off... Have fun!

Angel 01-05-2011 01:53 PM

I will be at the SMB meet and greet!

I've just reserved site number I 38 (RV Site) for Friday and Saturday night. I am 1 person with 1 SMB. I've booked the site for the max which is 8 people and 2 vehicles. I think I got the last site for those two days. Anybody else is welcome to camp with me (for free of course). Just PM me if you want to share the site.

:u1:

Angel.

Angel 01-06-2011 10:26 AM

I thought that I should add that I just got my e mail reservation and it says

"No tents allowed!!! RVs must be self contained (including running water and flushable toilet).

My porta pottie is flushable so that better work.

Angel

Ford_6L_E350 01-06-2011 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angel
I thought that I should add that I just got my e mail reservation and it says

"No tents allowed!!! RVs must be self contained (including running water and flushable toilet).

My porta pottie is flushable so that better work.

Angel

I think we are all in the same boat.

Mike

billwilson 01-07-2011 07:42 AM

We may be at a Back Yard Fish Farming class
may not be able to make it

Will update here

IF we do make it, probably the "we" will be Me and Wilson
Mrs. Wilson still pretty shy.....

best to you all

bw

KTMRIDER 01-10-2011 11:58 PM

Saturday is right around the corner and it sounds like we should have a decent turnout at Bolsa Chica State Beach. Looking forward to meeting everyone. I even fired up the Espar last night to make sure it is ready to go. BillWilson are you bringing some of that good Tai food we keep hearing about, or will it be some of that farm fresh fish :a1: ?
Eric

macmcintire 01-11-2011 05:56 AM

Thanks KTM for coordinating this. Never been to a Meet and Greet before. Should I be bringing any munchies or goodies to the shindig?

billwilson 01-11-2011 06:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KTMRIDER
Saturday is right around the corner and it sounds like we should have a decent turnout at Bolsa Chica State Beach. Looking forward to meeting everyone. I even fired up the Espar last night to make sure it is ready to go. BillWilson are you bringing some of that good Tai food we keep hearing about, or will it be some of that farm fresh fish :a1: ?
Eric

1) thats Thai food not Tai food :b1:

2) the fish farm people are MIA
looks like we may be there for at least a day trip

have not looked up resv site, yet
anyone have room if they are booked??

bw

macmcintire 01-11-2011 06:14 AM

Hi BW (aka Rob):

I don't know what the sites are like at the Bolsa Chica Beach camping (aka parking lot, asphalt slab crammed between large RVs, next to noisy highway), but if it can fit two vehicles you are welcome to park next to my rig. Mike will be parked in a site right across from mine. Unfortunately my wife isn't coming so I will be alone. Her sister is in the hospital.

Mac

stiggs 01-11-2011 04:01 PM

Sounds like I need to go surfing and meet some of you guys, I usually surf around tower 17 there is a couple other smb's i have seen down there, haven't been in the water in ages.

KTMRIDER 01-11-2011 07:25 PM

1) thats Thai food not Tai food
Yes, technically that is correct but since I don't care for hot/spicy I leave off the h :a1:

Hope you can make it out so we have a fair showing of hard tops.

There is one more surfer that might show up but I will let him post if he wants.

No extra snacks required by me.
Eric

jwintersteller 01-12-2011 12:23 AM

Hi all,
I am really going to try to make it down for the meetup. I will be in Mammoth Thursday and Friday. I will head home early on Saturday, swap out my ski gear for surf gear and head on down. I hope to get there between 1 and 2pm. It will be great to meet some of you in person and maybe paddle out with some of you. Is there a particular parking lot or lifeguard station the group will be hanging out at?
See you Saturday,
John

cellularSTEVE 01-12-2011 12:28 AM

I will be coming down after all, in the afternoon around 3 or 4pm. Thanks to Angel I am sharing her campsite for Saturday night. Anyone know what the extra fee is for the second vehicle?

Looking forward to seeing all of you.

Ford_6L_E350 01-12-2011 10:06 AM

Steve, I didn't think there was a fee for a 2nd vehicle.

Mike

Angel 01-12-2011 11:38 AM

The fee is $15 parking fee for the second vehicle. A towed vehicle or trailer is free. If you have a state park pass I think it includes free parking. I just got this info from Reserve America 1-800-695-2269 :b3:

Angel

Ford_6L_E350 01-12-2011 03:43 PM

Sorry Steve, Angel is right. My trailer gets in free though.

I'm bringing firewood!

Mike