Sportsmobile Forum

Sportsmobile Forum (https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/forums/)
-   Meetups and Trip Reports (https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/forums/f17/)
-   -   So Cal Meetup 10AM Sat Jan 15th at Bolsa Chica State Beach (https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/forums/f17/so-cal-meetup-10am-sat-jan-15th-at-bolsa-chica-state-beach-5532.html)

macmcintire 01-12-2011 08:15 PM

Re: So Cal Meetup 10AM Sat Jan 15th at Bolsa Chica State Beach

Not only will I have my new lifted van to show off, but I will also have my new trailer in tow. Glad it gets in free at the campsite.

Ford_6L_E350 01-13-2011 09:30 AM

Mac,

Looking forward to seeing them, and you!

We will be leaving in a couple hours. Spend the night at Avila Hot Springs!! Nothing like a good, hot soak to get the winter chill out of the bones.

Mike

billwilson 01-13-2011 04:04 PM

See you folks there
will be in before noon Saturday

Dont know if i am flying solo or with Mrs. Wilson and Thai food :)

best

bw

Angel 01-13-2011 10:14 PM

I am bringing crackers and cheese and Guacamole. Someone can bring corn chips and salsa.

Angel

macmcintire 01-13-2011 10:29 PM

I will be picking up my van around 4:00. Then will be in the rush hour traffic on my way to Bolsa Chica. I probably won't get there until about 6:00 p.m. Looking forward to seeing everyone.

macmcintire 01-14-2011 04:25 PM

I am TOTALLY bummed!!! I have been anxiously waiting this meet and greet for over a month. But now I will be attending the meet and greet tomorrow without my Sportsmobile. And I won't be camping in my rig tonight. I've really had the wind knocked out of my sails. I feel like a kid who has excitedly been waiting for Christmas who then finds out he is the only one who did not get a present. Attending a meet and greet without my Sportsmobile will be weird.

After all of the problems I had with Camburg waiting for them to send the parts for my lift, I now am having problems with ARB sending the right parts for my locking differential. This means my van will not be done until late Saturday afternoon. And when it is done, I will be heading directly back to LV after a week of hanging around So Cal waiting for my van to be done.

Apparently earlier this week ARB sent the wrong part to Action Vans. They were supposed to have shipped the right part to Action today and my van would have been ready this afternoon. But ARB failed to give the part to the UPS truck driver last night. Consequently, they say the part will be arriving tomorrow and my van will be done late tomorrow afternoon. This means I have an additional rental car day, another hotel room charge, the loss of my camping fee, wasted food I just bought for camping, and more restaurant meals I must pay for.

The poor guys as Action Vans have busted their butts to get my rig done by today. They were just waiting for the part to finish the locker. The lift is all done and looks great. I also had to install new steps on my rig and take off the running boards since they were in such bad shape. While here I also bought a trailer to pull behind my Sportsmobile, so this has been an extremely expensive trip. It makes me even more pissed at Camburg for screwing up my originally scheduled lift that was going to be done in Vegas. If that had gone through I wouldn't have all of this additional travel expense. This lift and locker has turned about to be one expensive project!!!!

I'm going to drive to Bolsa Chica tonight to say hello to those who will be camping there. I'll also show up for a few hours in the morning for the meet and greet. The car rental place closes at noon so I have to rush back to San Clemente to turn in the car and then just sit around at Action Van until they are done with my rig. This is definitely not the way I dreamed this would turn out!!!

Mac

billwilson 01-14-2011 07:34 PM

mac
sorry to have this bummer on you
driving up from san clemente for a couple of hours
will call you and see if you wanna ride up
bw

cellularSTEVE 01-14-2011 11:57 PM

Mac, that sux.
I was looking forward to seeing you and "new and improved" van. I will hopefully be down a bit earlier than expected, say 2-3pm.

I will be on 2M 146.520 for any of you HAMs.

steve :c3:

Tigerlily 01-15-2011 07:52 PM

Just wanted to say thanks for the hospitality today! My husband and I stopped by to admire all the Sportsmobiles and really appreciated the tours (we were in the red Jeep).

Right now we have a Jeep with an off-road trailer and an FJ with a rooftop tent, but we're working our way towards a Sportsmobile . . .

Brittany

macmcintire 01-15-2011 08:46 PM

It is 7:30 pm and I just got home. Had a couple more glitches with my lift. My old monster swaybar didn't fit right with the new lift kit so Action Vans had to fabricate some parts to make it work. Finally got on the road after 2:00 p.m. I will post pictures of my lifted van when I can see it in the light. Until then, here are some pictures of the Meet and Greet today at Bolsa Chica State Beach.

The gang that was there at 10:30am; L to R: Harry, Eric, Mac, Johnny, Mike, Angel, Steve, Lilian, Steve, Renee, Dorothy, ?, ?

Seven of nine Sportsmobiles that were there when I left.

Mike and his rig on left, Angel and her rig on right

macmcintire 01-16-2011 09:03 AM

Okay, here are some pictures of my lift. It was done by Action Vans in San Clemente, California. The lift is not as high as I thought it would be. I thought it would be 6" but it is only 4 1/2". But it still looks and drives great. Of course, when I put bigger tires on the van it will look better and be a little higher.

Action Vans did a great job and are very accommodating and helpful. I highly recommend them.

Pre-lift

Post-lift

Pictures of the cargo trailer I also bought in California while waiting for my lift and locking differential

BroncoHauler 01-16-2011 09:18 AM

Here's my best approximation based on one of the pics:

:h1: :q3: :h5: :q6: :h3: :q6: :h1:

danamrak 01-16-2011 10:29 AM

Thanks for posting the pictures of the meet. Nice to see all those SMB gathered in one spot.
:b4:

KTMRIDER 01-17-2011 12:58 AM

Thanks to all for coming out to the Meet and Greet, fantastic turnout! When I arrived Friday evening folks were well into the social hour and we all had a blast shooting the breeze before turning in for the night :a1:. I am unsure of our total turnout on Saturday but at any one time we had 9-10 vans.

Snapshot in time of part of Saturday's turnout.
https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/gallery...f32aa92638.jpg

View of the beach from the van. Couldn't have asked for better weather.
https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/gallery...2a7488ae42.jpg

Mac's SMB for the day.....minus the lift he drove from Vegas for :b1: . Great attitude though Mac despite all your drama. Your van looks great, thanks for the photos.
https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/gallery...355dc46a16.jpg
Eric

jage 01-17-2011 05:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KTMRIDER

Needs Aluminess bumpers.

smugdoug 01-17-2011 10:26 AM

Great job Eric putting that together, wish I could have made it. You couldn't have asked for a better weekend to do it, gotta love So. Cal. weather!

Silver350 01-17-2011 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by macmcintire
Okay, here are some pictures of my lift. It was done by Action Vans in San Clemente, California. The lift is not as high as I thought it would be. I thought it would be 6" but it is only 4 1/2". But it still looks and drives great. Of course, when I put bigger tires on the van it will look better and be a little higher.

Action Vans did a great job and are very accommodating and helpful. I highly recommend them.

Mac, I hope you are proud of that van. It looks great! Nice with just enough attitude.
IMO some Nitto or Toyo A/T's in a 265/75 would finish it off perfectly and you won't have to buy new rims. (or maybe 285/75 but could be a little tall for your gearing)

Ford_6L_E350 01-17-2011 05:23 PM

A good time was had by all. I counted 13 different vans showed up. And 6 spent Fri and/or Sat at the campground. Sat night Lillian fed everyone with some wonderful Carne Asada! And we all spent hours around the campfire swapping lies, etc.

Worth driving 400 miles for a 2 day get together!

Sorry, I was having too much fun to take pictures.

Mike

REF 01-17-2011 05:44 PM

Looked like Fun.
Mac, sorry to hear about your troubles, esp after the whole camburg thing,bummer you couldn't make the debut showing at the meetup, but glad it turned out to your liking in the end. Now you can power over that rock at toroweap!

Hope some of you can make it out to Moab for a June gathering, thread started by Jage.

macmcintire 01-17-2011 06:55 PM

Hi Rick:

Don't remind me of the Toroweep rock. That was embarrassing!

Been following the Moab get together stream on the Forum. Would like to get out that way. Don't know whether I'll be able to do it in June. Will have to see how my work schedule pans out this year.

Glad to finally have the lift and differential done. Action Vans was much better to work with than Camburg. They did everything they could to get the rig done in time, but ARB screwed up twice on the part order. Action even had to do some custom fabrication work on my rig to make everything work. While in California I went to Camburg, just for fun, and also to Aluminess to check out their stuff. I didn't think my wife would ever let me add big hunkin' bumpers to "her" Sportsmobile, but when I showed her the pictures she said she wanted them. When I showed her the price I thought she would flip, but she said "I still want them." So I guess I have another project. Interestingly Action Vans can get the parts cheaper than going directly through Aluminess and they can install them. So I may go that route. It's just a question of coming up with another $6,000. So much for my getting a great deal on my Sportsmobile when I bought it.

Say hello to Alex and Lake for me. I hope our paths cross again in the future.

Mac

REF 01-17-2011 11:09 PM

Mac-
I had ordered my front bumper directly from aluminess, but if action vans can get them cheaper, you may be able to have them order and have the bumpers drop shipped to you, was not a hard install, a friend and a few bolts, may save a little on the labor end that way. You'll need to fill those big holes up front with some fog/drive lights as well as some backup/utility lights in the rear too! Have fun.

billwilson 01-18-2011 05:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by macmcintire

So I may go that route. It's just a question of coming up with another $6,000. So much for my getting a great deal on my Sportsmobile when I bought it.

Mac

Well money....
Some say you cant take it with yu
But WE CAN!
To great adventures
Back roads
Hidden lakes
Deserts
Mountains
Fire Roads
Beaches

:b5:

billwilson 01-18-2011 05:56 AM

Great meeting all of you

Dont get yer heads swelled but a Fine Group of people

I would Boondock with any of ya!!!

Great job Eric

best

Bill Wilson

Angel 01-19-2011 09:46 PM

It was a fun and wonderful Meet and Greet. :u1: :b5: :g8: Thanks Eric for setting it up.

I learned so much. Next time If we ALL wore our forum Evolve tee shirt for our group picture, :i2: it would be great. (I forgot and wore my SMB tee shirt)

I have my large Sportsmobile Forum sticker on my SMB. If everyone had one, that would be good, also.

Angel

cellularSTEVE 01-20-2011 12:20 AM

Good to meet all the new folks and see the old timers. Sorry I showed up late but it was fun to camp with all of you.

I wore my brown Evolve SMB Forum shirt! The rest of you need to buy one. :b1:

Thanks to Lillian and Steve for the great dinner. Thanks to Harry for the Arrogant Bastard...one of my new favorites. Thanks Angel for letting me stay in your spot. Thanks Mike for doing the campfire. Thanks Eric for putting this together. Thanks John on all your advice. And thanks to those I forgot to mention :a3: .

I had a great time. I bought a kayak on my way back home. Looking forward to using that too.

steve :c3:

Ford_6L_E350 01-20-2011 10:11 AM

The best part of this Meet and Greet was just that, it was a Meet and Greet - no driving around, just meeting nice people and getting to know them a little.

It was fun.

But, next time we should be a little further from the highway (quieter) and maybe have some grass and trees.

Mike

Ford_6L_E350 01-22-2011 10:06 AM

I split this and moved the discussion for a LV Meeting to the topic Mac started.

Mike