Sportsmobile Forum

Sportsmobile Forum (https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/forums/)
-   Homemade SMB - Ground Up Builds (https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/forums/f24/)
-   -   Van Build about to start.... (https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/forums/f24/van-build-about-to-start-7279.html)

haywoodphotomaccom 11-16-2011 03:28 PM

Van Build about to start....

The forum has been great for ideas and appreciate all the info thus far. Couple pics from bringing it home yesterday from Portland.

Working on having Colorado Camper Van install a pop top and RV Interiors do the inside work. Photos and info to come.

dhally 11-16-2011 04:50 PM

Re: New to me QuadVan interior build out about to start.

Wow thats a lot of volume to fill up! I wonder if there's a steel roll cage inside that fiberglass roof? I guess you'll find out when the cutting starts.

Nomadcat 11-16-2011 10:28 PM

Nice looking van.

I love my Quadvan.

John and Blaine stand behind their work.

Keep us posted on the progress.

haywoodphotomaccom 11-17-2011 08:27 AM

Thanks all, really looking forward to the project.

Don't know about the roll cage inside yet...

The Quadvan visit was great. Those guys are very helpful and realllllyyyyy took their time with the pickup process. John put the van up on the rack before I left to tweak a few things and show me everything. It drove great down the coast but needed the tires rotated and balanced. Literally did that the minute I got home. Dropped off the wife at the front door and went to Discount Tire.

Was hoping to have this be a mini vacation and photo excursion but my primary camera broke the first day out.....normally don't carry my spare on vacations. Lesson learned. The Oregon Coast is one of my favorites places.

Quick pic just before the mirror box in my camera exploded....

BroncoHauler 11-17-2011 08:45 AM

Well I guess your camera fulfilled its role in life with that shot and said "my work is done" and quit.

Great pic!

Herb

haywoodphotomaccom 11-17-2011 08:53 AM

Herb, I can't blame it....over 500,000 frames on this one without a problem. They are rated for 200,000 or so. I got a few more before it's death but ended up switching to the iPhone for a lot of them and a....

Nomadcat 11-17-2011 09:20 AM

which one broke?

haywoodphotomaccom 11-17-2011 09:36 AM

Nomad, the Canon 5D Mark II went down.

haywoodphotomaccom 11-23-2011 07:37 PM

Had an Aluminess ladder put on today. Have a whole list of parts that are being added but on hold for a few days to review the list. Stopped out to visit with Peter and Katherine of Adventuretrek while they were having their roof rack test fitted. Wanted to chat with them about their build with RV Interiors. Aluminess had the ladder in stock so they installed it while there. Very happy with it.

Also had a brief discussion with Dave, Kenny and Tim at Aluminess. All great to work with and it was nice to hear suggestions from Dave on how to save a little money on some things I could do myself.

Had a great meeting with Jeff at RV interiors yesterday. Working on a final wants/needs list this weekend to start the process. Great meeting with Peter and Katherine to share ideas. They are the vehicle next inline so it will be great to see their build progress.

Advanturetrek 11-23-2011 11:50 PM

Brent,

Congratulations on the ladders. They look sharp!

It was good to meet you today.

-- Katherine and Peter

haywoodphotomaccom 11-26-2011 01:53 PM

Hard Top Thoughts...

We are up in the air a little on wether to have our hard top turned into pop top or start fresh with a new top. Colorado Camper Van stated they can use our existing top to convert to a pop top but we would need to remove the double insulation on the inside. It's not going to save us much money to use our own top and hate to seen a great one be pulled apart. Considering selling the one we have and having them do the whole project with a new top.

This poses a possible logistics issue. I have the top in California and I need to get the van to Colorado for the work. Derek said he would try selling it there for me which is a generous offer and may go that route.

Anyone have an idea what a used top like this would sell for if we go that route? It's fiberglass lined on the inside and has about 12" of rise.

carringb 11-26-2011 08:28 PM

That looks like a reverse flange top? Can it be removed and re-used?

haywoodphotomaccom 11-26-2011 10:45 PM

Looks like it would come right off. All the screws are visible on the inside but not sure what that tells us. I think I have a close up photo of the inside corner I'll dig out.

carringb 11-26-2011 10:57 PM

Is it strong enough to walk on?

blupaddler 12-02-2011 11:16 PM

Brent, it looks like you have a great starting point!

We should get all the San Diego vans together sometime.
Curious is RV the place in Spring Valley or Lakeside? I got two different results when searching

haywoodphotomaccom 12-03-2011 10:47 PM

Sorry I missed these last few posts…

Not sure about walking on the roof but a roof rack will be there soon with a walkable plate. Spring Valley is where RV interiors is.

Took the rig for a short shake down drive today to the Four Corner in East San Diego. Great off road area for all vehicles. This is the first time I have driven a full size vehicle here. Used to ride the area on our dirt bikes at night once a week for a few years. Not use to seeing it during the day.

Drove up to Los Pinos Peak. Great lookout tower there that was open today. Couple quick pics from the drive. Everything seemed solid.

Picked up a Warn M15000 this am and hope to have installed next week with a few other pieces while at Aluminess.

Long time friend Tien joined in at the last minute for the trial run. We drove this in his Jeep 10 years ago or so.

Skywagon 12-05-2011 09:20 AM

You certainly show many of the rest of us the difference between photography and snap-shots.
Nice Photos!
Bill

haywoodphotomaccom 12-05-2011 09:25 AM

Thanks for the kind words Bill!

haywoodphotomaccom 12-05-2011 10:25 PM

Couple images from the trip picking up the van from Quadvan in Portland down the coast. Great but brief trip. Really need to get back up there and spend some time. One of my favorite drives and looking forward to visiting again.

haywoodphotomaccom 12-07-2011 08:55 AM

Part status update, part classified ad.

Selling the 16" Fiberine top that came with my van. It is double skinned (I think that is what they call it) with a fiberglass layer on the inside. Smooth interior finish.

The current top will not work with our future intended pop conversion without tearing it apart.

Picking up my new top next week. This one is available now. Depending on logistics I could possibly deliver it between San Diego and La next week. Still working some things out.

It's coming off a 2006 EB with 12,000 miles on it.

No idea on the pricing on a used top other than what they told me in the $1500.00 range so I'll start there. Posted in classifieds too.

We are going with a 20" top of similar design without the interior second skin as it will be easier to covert into a pop top in the future if we go that way. Going up to Fiberine next Wednesday for the install. I'll try to take pics of the process to post here. Then to Aluminess for measurements for the roof rack.

haywoodphotomaccom 12-12-2011 07:47 PM

On Friday Aluminess installed a new Galley Box, swing arm, fold down shelf behind the Galley Box, new hardware all around and a Warn M15,000 winch.

Next is the new top on Wednesday and measurements for the roof rack on Friday.

Still no word on the start date for the interior build out....

haywoodphotomaccom 12-15-2011 01:59 PM

New 20" Fiberine top installed yesterday....love the new fiberglass smell.

At this point I still like the 16" top look better but this will grow on me and was need for the buildout.

16" top now ready for sale sitting in my front yard on a trailer. Apparently it has an automotive paint job on it.

Gonejpn2 12-16-2011 03:16 PM

Looking awesome Brent! Any chance I could talk you into taking a standing room measurement for me with that 20" top? I would greatly appreciate it!
Thanks,
Dan

haywoodphotomaccom 12-16-2011 04:12 PM

Looks like it ranges from 73.5 at the high spot to 71.5 towards the back.

Gonejpn2 12-16-2011 10:42 PM

Thanks buddy!

OttoVolcomSMB 12-17-2011 02:06 AM

New to me QuadVan interior build out about to start.

That looks really good. Do you have plans to put stuff on the roof, and what are they? Oh and how much weight can it hold? Would you be able to walk on it?

haywoodphotomaccom 12-17-2011 08:27 AM

Hi Nick, visited Aluminess yesterday to start the build on the roof rack. It will have two solar panels, some form of in motion internet and an area towards the back for my camera tripod. Not sure of the weight it's designed to hold all said and done.

billwilson 12-17-2011 09:38 AM

Brent
you be rockin dude!!!
bw

haywoodphotomaccom 12-17-2011 11:17 AM

Having a great time already BW! Of course everything is taking much longer to get done than I would like but I expected that.

The crew at Aluminess yesterday was great. They spent a good amount of time with me designing the roof rack and even humored me when I suggested some unconventional ideas.

Really like that Keg they built into the Galley box for the last meet up. Kenny made the beer.

New Optima battery installed yesterday with final wiring to the winch. Looking forward to testing out the winch on something today. Maybe on my neighbors car that has been parked in front of my house for a week!

BroncoHauler 12-17-2011 02:31 PM

Brent,

Before you play with that winch, be sure to play out the line and spool it back in under tension.

Herb

haywoodphotomaccom 12-17-2011 02:48 PM

Herb, is that the part where you pull it back in with a 1000lb load the first time?

BroncoHauler 12-17-2011 03:28 PM

Yeah, but I've never heard about the 1000lb load before.

I've hooked to a stationary object, put the transmission in neutral, and lightly applied the brakes while spooling in. I've got to think the winch manual gives their recommendation.

Herb

larrie 12-17-2011 04:51 PM

Brent

You probably know his but if you are on the top with your tripod and camera be sure to brace the van body solidly to the ground. He body block will prevent any motion of the van while you move around taking photos.

Larrie
89 Ford 2WD penthouse

haywoodphotomaccom 12-17-2011 07:25 PM

Herb, just accomplished the winch task. The Warn instructions that came with it stated to put at least a 1000lb load on it while doing what you stated. Worked great. All nice and tucked in.

Thanks for the advice Larrie.

larrie 12-17-2011 08:01 PM

Glad I could help. You will be surprised at how much body motion there will be up there.

Larrie
89 Ford 2WD penthouse

haywoodphotomaccom 12-18-2011 10:28 PM

This should really be labeled exterior buildout for now as nothing is happening on the inside yet.

Picked up a used Honda EU2000 today off Craigslist. Drove down to the beach to catch the sunset and then to the park near my house so the hound could chase rabbits while I check out the generator. Unit looks and runs like new as advertised. Placed it in the Galley box for a size check and will put in tie downs for it tomorrow.

Vegasrandall 12-19-2011 09:44 AM

[s:29db8i4g]Could you post a picture with your thumb in it? It would make me feel so much better about my skills.[/s:29db8i4g]

Advanturetrek 12-19-2011 03:56 PM

Looking good Brent. Congratulations on the build progress.

haywoodphotomaccom 12-20-2011 10:31 AM

Thanks VegasRandall and AdventureTrek!

The extra length of the van and height of the top is proving to be more beneficial than I thought it would be. I am able to fully assemble my light stands and work on gear standing up. Much better for the back!

Image of base camp at the beach while waiting for sunset.

Vegasrandall 12-20-2011 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by larrie
Brent

You probably know his but if you are on the top with your tripod and camera be sure to brace the van body solidly to the ground. He body block will prevent any motion of the van while you move around taking photos.

Larrie
89 Ford 2WD penthouse

A friend that is a astronomer has his van fitted out with a tripod telescope mount that goes through gasketed holes in the floor to the ground so the telescope doesn't wiggle when he moves in the van and he stays warm.