Sportsmobile Forum

Sportsmobile Forum (https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/forums/)
-   Homemade SMB - Ground Up Builds (https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/forums/f24/)
-   -   Van Build about to start.... (https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/forums/f24/van-build-about-to-start-7279.html)

haywoodphotomaccom 06-21-2012 08:39 AM

Re: Van Build about to start....

Herb, almost every penny put into the van is a legitimate right off.

It's a beautiful thing!!

haywoodphotomaccom 07-05-2012 08:52 PM

Shower pan-composting toilet project coming along....

Ultrasport12 07-05-2012 10:28 PM

That looks great, can't wait to see it completed...

haywoodphotomaccom 07-06-2012 07:53 AM

Thanks Ultra, it's been a fun but long project.

Once we get all these systems in and proven we will pull it all out and finish off the walls and floors. Going on a little shakedown trip up the 395 soon to test it all out.

BroncoHauler 07-06-2012 08:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by haywoodphotomaccom
... Going on a little shakedown trip up the 395 soon to test it all out.

Maybe this one time we don't need pics of everything. :i7:

Herb

haywoodphotomaccom 07-06-2012 08:07 AM

Herb, for you I might do a photo series on how that toilet works.....

Ultrasport12 07-06-2012 09:30 AM

Quote:

Herb, for you I might do a photo series on how that toilet works.....

:i2: If you mean how it flushes, maybe otherwise we can just use our imagination.

cygvan 07-07-2012 02:41 PM

lol

Vegasrandall 07-07-2012 03:51 PM

Did you weigh the vehicle before you added everything? I would be curious as to how much weight you added.

haywoodphotomaccom 07-07-2012 08:02 PM

Right now I am right around 8880lbs. I will weight it again loaded next week just before my trip.

haywoodphotomaccom 07-22-2012 08:31 AM

Just returned from our first real trip in the van and thought I would share some of the details about the van. The trip report is listed under Sierra's 2012 if your are interested in that.

7 days up in the Sierra's and half was off road and camping outside of a campground. Even though we have more of transformer setup inside everything seemed to work and hold together great. We did have bungee cords on everything to prevent things from moving (more like flying) around in some areas.

The shower is the only thing that did not work as planned but will with some small fixes. We are now happy with the placement of everything in the van and we are ready to tear everything out and complete the interior floors, walls and ceilings.

We weighed the van in Kramer Junction and it came in at 9350 lbs with full fuel, water etc. I have always had concerns with weight and have them even more now that we have more to install. There really is nothing I would do different with the build to change that. As my office/daily driver I need the things that are installed so far.

I know we are very top heavy but I was still surprised how the van would be thrown back and forth while driving over seemingly small rocks or bumps in the dirt. Half the dirt roads we had to drive 1-3 mph. That got a little old after 30 minutes or so. I had the sway bars connected and wanted to try the same roads with them disconnected but I could not get the rear off. We were running 30psi front and back on the dirt. Any comments if that would have helped?

The van was really feeling it's weight on some of the hills in the area. Not looking to be Mario Andretti but would like to pick up a little performance. Been reading some of the threads on that here for the V10. Anything working for others here?

While driving up to Whitney Portal at the end of the trip it felt like the transmission was slipping a little? No expert here but it was very hot out and that grade is long. Checked fluids when I got to the top and all seemed good. There was an enormous amount of heat coming from the entire van once we reached the top but all the dash gauges read within range. Any comments/ideas?

The low range on the van is unbelievable. I was surprised again how well we could crawl up an down the steepest hills with control in 4 lo first gear. Never slipped or felt out of control because of traction. Never engaged the front locker the whole trip.

The solar/battery system worked great. I am a heavy user of electricity with charging batteries, computers, phones etc. The Lifeline 4D was fully charged each day around 12-1 pm from a full nights use. At one point the meter showed 500 watts of charging. The highest I had seen to date. If I remember correct it showed 36amps along with that 500 watts. I would still like to install one more battery but we will see with the weight issues.

carringb 07-22-2012 08:41 AM

Ford power, just improve the breathing, and add a tuner.

4x4s can't have the full Banks Powerpack, but a cat-back system will free things up. The Banks muffler sounds good. Many of the other brands make the V10 sound like a ricer. I also recommend the AFE Stage2 intake. I was surprised how much torque it added. I was only expecting some high-RPM gains but that was not the case.

5-Star does the best programming for the V10s.

Finally.... don't be afraid to let it rev. When I'm haling heavy, I'll let it spin to 5,000 RPM and I'll hold that for 10-15 minutes at a time (my loaded weight is more than double yours is). Even then, it runs cool and steady. It sounds pretty raspy stock at high RPMs, but once you free up the breathing I think it sounds great.

Nomadcat 07-22-2012 10:36 AM

After I had Deaver add an extra leaf to my packs in the back, two years ago, my sway seemed greatly lessened. I'm running a Quadvan, as well, but the RB and no high top, so I'm sure that changes things.

Gnarvan 07-22-2012 12:27 PM

Brent

Have you added any extra cooling capacity to your transmission? With the weight you're draggin up the hills you might consider it if you haven't already.

86Scotty 07-22-2012 03:41 PM

You said your van got pretty hot climbing up to Whitney Portal. I just did this as well a month or so ago. My van is a 2002 5.4 but was so heavily loaded for that trip, it was probably similar to your 4x4 as you have it now. I installed a ScanguageII shortly before the trip and used the Xguage feature to get a digital transmission temp reading (which many here have done). You can also get coolant temp on a Scanguage without doing anything special, it's one of the default readings, shown as water temp, same thing.
Anyway, it's a steep climb and it was about 95deg at bottom for me, and my transmission got up to about 200deg. For comparison, earlier the same day I hit 230deg (and the roof, :a1: ) coming out of the west side of Death Valley up to 395.
Having an accurate digital reading of trans and coolant temp gave me a lot of confidence dragging up the steep climbs like Whitney Portal. If you don't have one already, it's worth the $150.

haywoodphotomaccom 07-29-2012 05:25 PM

Looking at a BullyDog system too that claims to give you tunes and monitor info at the same time. Checking with them tomorrow for info on the tune numbers.

Messing around with the shower arrangements last night. Was not able to get it to work reliably while on my trip to the Sierra's couple weeks ago. It should have been a reality show segment. Went to take the first shower while my friends were across the way getting the BBQ going. Heated up some hot water on the stove (No perm heat yet, work in progress on that) poured it into the Big Kahuna shower pump and jumped in. I turn the pump on and got just barely wet enough to get shampoo in my hair and soap on the face.

PUMP stops working!!

Wipe my eyes off enough to disassemble the shower head as there was an air bubble or something stopping it. Get it going but the shower head was mounted to the wall behind where it is now. Had to stand so close the the wall I could hardly get wet or wash off. After soaping up I tried to pull the shower head off the wall and over the ring to get it over my head. The hose was so tight along the wall that after pulling it an inch the entire shower ring and curtain fell to the floor around me!

Here I am soaped up with no where to hang the shower handle or turn off the water and the curtain is on the floor.

Needless to say there were no more showers in it for the trip.

Had a few beers last night and worked on a way to get the shower handle over head. Dug out a Magic Arm from my photo box and it works perfect. A little overkill for the job but it worked great.

Also glad we made the shower pan big enough to have the toilet in it as there was a little issue that was caught in the pan and drained into the grey tank and cleaned up easily.

Good times....

carringb 07-29-2012 06:57 PM

Quote:

Also glad we made the shower pan big enough to have the toilet in it as there was a little issue that was caught in the pan
Was this a toilet toilet issue, or a beer-induced user issue?

haywoodphotomaccom 07-29-2012 10:12 PM

Toilet issue.....urinal container overflowed but the pan caught it all and was easy to wash into the gray tank.

haywoodphotomaccom 07-30-2012 08:12 AM

Deaver Springs on order.....looking forward to the install. 3-4 weeks I am told. Driving up to have them do the install.

dudewithvan 12-16-2012 09:06 PM

Re: New to me QuadVan interior build out about to start.

Quote:

Had an Aluminess ladder put on today. Have a whole list of parts that are being added but on hold for a few days to review the list. Stopped out to visit with Peter and Katherine of Adventuretrek while they were having their roof rack test fitted. Wanted to chat with them about their build with RV Interiors. Aluminess had the ladder in stock so they installed it while there. Very happy with it.

Also had a brief discussion with Dave, Kenny and Tim at Aluminess. All great to work with and it was nice to hear suggestions from Dave on how to save a little money on some things I could do myself.

Had a great meeting with Jeff at RV interiors yesterday. Working on a final wants/needs list this weekend to start the process. Great meeting with Peter and Katherine to share ideas. They are the vehicle next inline so it will be great to see their build progress.

Those wheels look nice too. Can you tell me the brand and model? Thanks

dudewithvan 12-16-2012 09:12 PM

Re: RV Interiors Visit today...

Quote:

Great visit today to RV Interiors in Spring Valley today. Spent some time with Jeff looking at Peter & Katherine's build that is in front of mine. Invaluable to have a similar build going on just before our is to start. Took a few images for them and as reference for me.

Really like how Jeff is open to any idea you have and roll plays the pro's and con's of each. Walked away with some new ideas. I have a month or so till our build starts and will be visiting Peter & Katherine's a few more times.

Just as I was leaving I got a call from Kenny at Aluminess that the roof is ready to install. I could not pull it off today but will tomorrow. Look for a new time lapse of the install in the next day or two.

Took the rig to Big Bear this weekend and put the mountain bike rack through it paces. The hardware design works great but needs some slight adjustments. Photos on that coming soon.

Those black rims look good too. Can you tell me the model of those too? I'm having a hard time finding a good selection of 8 lug wheels. Thanks!

haywoodphotomaccom 12-17-2012 02:38 PM

Hey DudeWithVan, not sure which rims are on either van. Mine came with them and don't have any markings on them.

haywoodphotomaccom 01-22-2013 06:41 AM

It's been awhile since my last update. We have (We being my dad mostly) been slowly building the van out in-between jobs. This has made it slow going but the only option. It works so well for my business and lifestyle it's hard to go without it even for a few days while something is being done to it.

The roof is in the shell now. Images coming of it soon. Used a mix of ideas from the forum to get it done. Much quieter up top now.

While doing that we pulled the power board and rebuilt it last weekend. It's being reinstalled in the next few days and connected.

The second Lifeline 4D battery has been a great addition with my power needs. There are always 4-5 chargers going at any one time to keep my camera gear topped up between jobs.

The Natures Head toilet is the best item we purchased from the van and highly used. Clean, quiet and functional.

Installed a new car stereo a couple weeks ago which has been nice for the daily commute in-between jobs. Nothing fancy but much improved over the previous radio.

Installed a front camera at the same time which has helped with parking downtown SD.

Vegasrandall 01-22-2013 10:00 AM

nice wiring job. where did you get those switches?

haywoodphotomaccom 01-22-2013 10:10 PM

Most of the switches came from West Marine.

depark 01-22-2013 10:49 PM

Not to Hijack this thread but DudeWithVan, the black rims are American Racing ATX 181 Artillery wheels and the silver are Ultra Wheel 164 wheels. Hope that helps. Now back to your regular topic. Oh by the way the van is looking good! :d8:
Cheers

haywoodphotomaccom 01-23-2013 07:37 AM

Depark, are mine Ultra 164's?

dudewithvan 01-23-2013 10:12 AM

Awesome! Depark, I appreciate that

depark 01-23-2013 08:44 PM

Quote:

Depark, are mine Ultra 164's?

I have been looking at rims a lot lately and when I enlarged your image and compared the 2 they matched. They could also be Eagle Alloy Series 186. Hard to tell exactly from a grainy picture but it's a safe bet.

rnj 01-23-2013 08:54 PM

Brent I just got an American Eagle 2012 wheel catalog and I think your rims look like the Eagle Series 186. I tried to include image but couldn't figure out how to, I just did a search on Eagle Series 186, but as Depark says the 2 are very similar,

Also my larger rear slider leaks a little. I just checked and noticed there is a 1/2 in. gap between the end of the rubber trim where it should be againt and center support of the at the inside end of the outer fixed window. I.e in the u-channel the outer glass is in but in front of the slider. I wonder if yours is missing the rubber trim as that's a pretty steady drip. I almost wonder if water seepage is inherent to sliders. Mine has 4 ~1 in. weep slots in outer face frame.

Randy

shenrie 01-23-2013 08:59 PM

my wheels look identicle to yours and the center caps say "pacer", but the font is exactly the same as the ultra center caps ive seen. odds are either eagle or ultra (or some other manf that weve never heard of) make them and just sell to other manufs and they put thier name on them and remarket. pretty common in the aftermarket wheel (and most other aftermarket car/truck parts) world.

if you really care, sometimes you can look on the back of the wheel where the castings are for the offset/size etc is, and you might find who actually makes the wheel.

haywoodphotomaccom 09-01-2013 01:27 PM

Been awhile since I have updated this thread. Need to bring some of the other threads into this one.

One of the negatives of using the van as a daily driver and being impatient is doing things over. The last few days we torn most of the van apart to built an insulated box around the fridge and mount all the switches and power accessories to it. While doing that it lead to moving the Propex heater a few inches and rewiring a lot of things. Most of it should all be back in the van later today and I'll post some after images.

You can barely see the roof the we recently insulated and installed LED lights in. The lights are great and very bright but can be dimmed.

Also built in some open shelving on the passenger wall to hold half my photo gear. Post more images on that too shortly.

Decided to keep the build fairly simple and utilitarian as it's filled with camera gear during the week and emptied on the weekend for fun.

haywoodphotomaccom 09-02-2013 09:11 AM

Fridge box project mostly done. Just a few more wires to connect. Good enough for the bay today.

Next project (in a few months) pull everything out and do a basic insulation job.

Good times....

The hound has to jump in the van every time I walk away. He knows it's beach day and refuses to be left behind.

dudewithvan 09-02-2013 09:59 AM

Looks great. Where did you get that couch? Is there space underneath the cushion?

haywoodphotomaccom 09-02-2013 10:13 AM

The couch I bought from Ramsey here in SD. Think he got it off Craigslist. At the time he had two of them. It's worked out great for the last six months or so. I may be custom building one soon for the fit the space better.

I have a bunch of large plastic bins under the couch with tools etc. The front panel is attached with velcro and is easy to get at. Also have a small bass speaker under there.

dudewithvan 09-02-2013 10:23 AM

Cool. So you don't know the brand? I ask because I just got putting mine together and I wanted to know the dimensions. Mine is decent, just not that comfortable as a seat. More for sleeping. But like you, it's a work van first, so I have to always keep that in mind.

haywoodphotomaccom 09-02-2013 07:26 PM

No brand or labeling on this one. I can measure it if you like but the one we have is a little short. I plan on buying a bigger one or custom build one eventually. Fine for the wife but my feet hang off.

It's works great either way and has been comfortable with way.

dudewithvan 09-03-2013 06:54 AM

If you don't mind doing some measurements, that would really help out. I just want to know the depth and height of your box support, and the same for each cushion if that's alright. Thanks!

haywoodphotomaccom 09-08-2013 09:49 AM

Other than trying to finish the van off the Fridge Box project was mostly about reducing the temps in the fridge and it's running time. The IsoTherm Cruise 130 ASU pulls about 4 amps when on full. We insulated the inside of the box and cut air ports as directed in the fridge instructions to maximize efficiency. Still slightly off with the air port but should be corrected this week.

The biggest temp difference has been with the fan we installed inside the fridge a few months back. It brought the temps down 5-8 degrees on average. The fan was placed on the top shelf and pointed down to circulate air. Worked great. Last week we stood the fan up and aimed it at the side of the freezer box. This seems to work even better and has dropped the temps again. I like to keep it at 35 or so and since I am in an out of it all day long as a daily driver it's been tough during the summer months to maintain that.

The fans draws .30 amps so we will see what the energy tradeoff is with their addition. Again, temps are my primary goal and energy conservation second. I want my beer Cold....

Bought some new fans yesterday that are more efficient and move more air. Going to put a new one in the fridge and on the back of the compressor. Hopefully we can slowly reduce the running time and energy draw.

Updates to follow as we take some measurement.

Currently it's 28 inside the fridge an 85 outside the fridge. Any stats from others?

haywoodphotomaccom 12-09-2013 09:37 AM