Sportsmobile Forum

Sportsmobile Forum (https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/forums/)
-   Welcome Mat (https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/forums/f46/)
-   -   Newbie needs Help (https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/forums/f46/newbie-needs-help-8308.html)

JBG 06-06-2012 03:01 PM

Newbie needs Help
 
Hi all, great looking forum. I am looking to get into a 4x4 van situation. I would primarily use it for weekend one-2 night ski trips and weekend hunting trips. I feel like a van with all the camping cabinets and plumbing might be overkill for me and the dog and occacional girlfriend. I think i could get by with an open floor plan with a bunk and build from there. Sooo now i need a cavas to paint this picture. I found a 2005 Ford E350 superduty with the 4x4 from quigley. it has the 6 liter diesel and 157K. It has no finishing on the inside except a floor. My plan would be to build a bunk rack and insulate it for winter and add some type of heater. they are asking 17.5k. is this a good price for a basic platform based on what i want to turn it into? Is this a good engine with the amount of miles on it? Should i just stay in a hotel? Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appriciated.

carringb 06-06-2012 04:40 PM

Re: Newbie needs Help
 
I STRONGLY recommend holding out for a V10 van. The 6.0 diesels, especially with higher milage, are likely to fail major mechanical failures on a somewhat regular basis. Diesels are fun, but unless you have deep pockets and a satellite phone, I recommend staying away.

The only exceptions are those motors which have very meticulous maintenance, like annual coolant flushes with an added coolant filter, and quality oil with OE oil filters. NONE of the aftermarket oil filters fit properly, and allow oil bypass, and therefore poor oil quality which eventually damages the injectors and/or HPOP (exception for bypass oil filtration system). The coolant maintenance is essential to prevent the oil cooler plugging up, which causes the EGR cooler to fail, which can cause failed turbos, ruptured intercooler, failed head gaskets, and even a hydro-locked motor. Any extended idling is bad news too because it fouls up the EGR system, which can also cause a turbo failure.

The V10 OTOH usually requires nothing more than oil changes every 7500, spark plugs every 100,000 and coolant every 150k. And it can be idled at will (which is nice, because it quieter than most generators.)

carringb 06-06-2012 04:41 PM

Re: Newbie needs Help
 
PS - For the same price, you could get a 05-ish V10 2wd van, and send it to QuadVan, SMB, or U-Joint for an even better 4WD system.

Gnarvan 06-06-2012 05:37 PM

Re: Newbie needs Help
 
What he said. The 6.0 is something to stay away from. Unless you have a qualified ford diesel mechanic with a top notch shop in the family. Having that family member owe you a bunch of favors would be nice too.

BroncoHauler 06-06-2012 06:39 PM

Re: Newbie needs Help
 
Basic maintenance, and some upgrades (see Jeffrey's updates), and the 6.0 is a fine motor.


Herb

BIGVANS 06-06-2012 09:54 PM

Re: Newbie needs Help
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by carringb
I STRONGLY recommend holding out for a V10 van. The 6.0 diesels, especially with higher milage, are likely to fail major mechanical failures on a somewhat regular basis. Diesels are fun, but unless you have deep pockets and a satellite phone, I recommend staying away.

The only exceptions are those motors which have very meticulous maintenance, like annual coolant flushes with an added coolant filter, and quality oil with OE oil filters. NONE of the aftermarket oil filters fit properly, and allow oil bypass, and therefore poor oil quality which eventually damages the injectors and/or HPOP (exception for bypass oil filtration system). The coolant maintenance is essential to prevent the oil cooler plugging up, which causes the EGR cooler to fail, which can cause failed turbos, ruptured intercooler, failed head gaskets, and even a hydro-locked motor. Any extended idling is bad news too because it fouls up the EGR system, which can also cause a turbo failure.

The V10 OTOH usually requires nothing more than oil changes every 7500, spark plugs every 100,000 and coolant every 150k. And it can be idled at will (which is nice, because it quieter than most generators.)


+1 on the V10 !
:b5:

JBG 06-06-2012 10:16 PM

Re: Newbie needs Help
 
Thanks for the advice. I think the idea of finding a good 2wd then getting the 4x4 conversion done would be the fastest way to go. Now in the used market is it best to go for a used cargo or passenger van with the thought the passenger van would have lighter use or does it really make a difference? Also what does a standard 4x4 conversion cost with the idea the 4x4 would be used in snow and light mud conditions. I'm not planning on rock hopping with it. I'm hoping I can get a good van with 100-150k miles and 4x4 conversion for under 17k, am I crazy? The 12 inch lift will have to wait . . . For a while.

Gnarvan - is that you back flipping on lochsa falls . . . Showoff :l1:

Gnarvan 06-07-2012 04:07 AM

Re: Newbie needs Help
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by BroncoHauler
Basic maintenance, and some upgrades (see Jeffrey's updates), and the 6.0 is a fine motor.


Herb

Herb, I respectfully disagree with you on this one. The early 6.0 was plagued with problems. If you bought one of the later ones new and did the maintenance religiously and upgraded the necessary items it could be a fine motor, I guess.

After hearing all the blown turbo and bed plate leak stories I would never buy a medium to high mileage used one. But that's just me. I'm not that big of a gambler. I'd feel a lot more comfortable buying a used V10.

And yes that is me doing a very tight rotation back flip in Lochsa Falls. I was still in the seat on the oars when the boat pounded me upside down into the river. I didn't even have time to grab frame. That wasn't showing off, trust me. I missed my line by about 18".

BIGVANS 06-07-2012 12:14 PM

Re: Newbie needs Help
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by JBG
Thanks for the advice. I think the idea of finding a good 2wd then getting the 4x4 conversion done would be the fastest way to go. Now in the used market is it best to go for a used cargo or passenger van with the thought the passenger van would have lighter use or does it really make a difference? Also what does a standard 4x4 conversion cost with the idea the 4x4 would be used in snow and light mud conditions. I'm not planning on rock hopping with it. I'm hoping I can get a good van with 100-150k miles and 4x4 conversion for under 17k, am I crazy? The 12 inch lift will have to wait . . . For a while.

Just to name a couple of many, Advanced 4x4 starts out at about $9K and Northwest Quadvan goes $15K to $20 with most other brands somewhere in-between. If you can install most or all of the 4x4 conversion parts yourself, U-Joint is defiantly the way to go with both cost and quality.
:b5:

Ultrasport12 06-07-2012 01:48 PM

Re: Newbie needs Help
 
I for years had a 7.3 F-350 Six Speed manual and it was really great but in a van I love my V-10. There are guys on here that are very happy with their 5.4s as well. If you really want a diesel you MUST know its service records are perfect. If you find one someone bought new and took really good care of it that's one thing. Yes you can always fix them but it costs lots of money. Engine work on a van means the engine has to come out or the body has to come off no way around it. There are many improved parts available for the 6.0 but they are expensive and unless you want to do that right now as part of your initial costs you won't know what you have.

To get a V-10 or a Diesel or you have to get a E-350. As for the Window or Cargo question, which do you like better to look at? Are you going to put windows in a Cargo van? Do you want a full interior or do you want to build an interior. I like the looks of both but if you like lots of options and don't want a beat up work van you might find a nicer, lower mileage window van may work for you. You can cover the windows from the inside with walls or cabinets if the van has privacy glass. Window vans if you get an XLT have nicer door panels on the side and rear doors plus rear seats if you want to carry more than two people. If you want cloth captains chairs they are not as common on cargo vans. That said they are out there and I was able to find a very loaded up cargo van when I was looking a few years back. Personally I would only get a van with the 60/40 hinge out side doors if you want to do a 4x4 conversion. Also a personal preference would be to get windows in the Side and Rear doors if getting a cargo van. If you have time look around at a bunch of vans maybe even go out of state to get one. Just get what you want and need to be able to do what it is you think it should do. if you find a 4x4 van that you really like great but getting a 2WD van and converting it is also an option. Like anything you can spend as much or as little as you want. Remember that you WANT a 4x4 van you probably don't NEED a 4x4 van. If you could live with a 2WD for a while you could buy a van fix it up and do the conversion when you have more time and money. Good Luck...


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:32 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.