Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-03-2010, 09:13 PM   #281
Site Team

Re: Hal The Van

The screw clamp on the inside of the rocker panel was easy to reach with the square hole I'd cut. The one on the inlet to that tank was a bear. With the tank itself not yet clamped into place there was some wiggle room. I used a ratcheting screwdriver with an extension to reach the head of the screw clamp. Keeping the bit inline with the screw head took real patience.
Will cover it all in detail when I do the write up.

And no I don't have small hands, not that there's anything wrong with that.

Once I exit Hal, this is what I do.
https://larry.wvnet.edu/~van/pics/lic...late-small.jpg
WWW.WVBIKE.ORG
WVvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 10:26 AM   #282

Attached Thumbnails
bking-tinyhands07130720.jpg  
racrx451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 09:26 PM   #283
Site Team

Fuel tank installation continued:

I now have some practice with threading holes into thin aluminum but before starting on the tank I'll have to figure out how to place the cover plate for the fuel sending unit. Here is the sending unit. Notice the round plastic float attached to the brass rod.

That float extends off to the side of the sending unit. Looking at this diagram of the fuel tank.

The platform for the sending unit is at the right end of the tank so I have to be sure to install the sending unit so the float extends to the left.

This sending unit is made to be used in tanks with a diameter of from 6 to 23 inches. It has to be adjusted to match my 8" diameter tank. First step was to disassemble the different pieces.

In the picture you can see the cover plate with the main rail. Laying above it is the extension rail and above that is the black rectangular sending body.

Here is the measurement diagram in the instructions. This shows how to position the sending body and the length of the float arm

Need to find the dimension "A". Measure the depth of the tank from the sending unit platform. 8 - 1/2" deep.

This is supposed to be an 8" deep tank so the platform should be 1/2" high. Double check.

Here is the table that corresponds to the diagram. The "A" measurement is 8.00 so that gives 4.00" for "B" and 4.90" for "C".

The "B" setting is how far down to place the sending body. Have to add 1/2" to the "B" dimension to account for the raised platform. The extension rail won't be needed so mount the sending body to the main rail. On the sending body, measure to the anchor point for the float arm.

Next the "C" setting. This is how long to make the float arm. The table shows 4.9" which using "The Pocket Ref" translates to near 4-7/8". The instructions have you add one inch to that length for the anchor point. Measure and then mark the correct length with tape.

Cut the float arm and then mount to the sending body. The float must be to the right of the sending body.

See if it fits.

It does, just.

continued -

WWW.WVBIKE.ORG
Old 12-05-2010, 06:09 PM   #284
Site Team

Fuel tank installation continued:

With the sending unit correctly orientated on the tank, carefully mark the cover plate hole locations.

Using the exact same techniques that I used with the practice cutout, drill perpendicular holes into the tank platform.

Then tap them.

Test fit the new holes with screws.

After the drilling and tapping of the aluminum there is this small debris leftover on the underside of the surface. It can be seen in this picture of the underside of the practice cutout. I guess you'd call those leftover bits "hanging swarf". Good name for a comic book villain.

Need to remove all the hanging swarf before continuing so none will get into the fuel later. Use sandpaper on the underside of the platform till all the swarf is knocked free.

Take the tank to the utility sink and keep rinsing out until there is no more debris inside the tank.

Install the sending unit along with it's rubber gasket and screw it all into place.

Seeing how this is the first one of these I've ever done I thought a test was in order. Stood the tank on the end and then poured in enough water to totally immerse the sending unit. Checked for leaks. Found one.

It's a weeper right at one screw head. While the tank is in use the cover plate won't be immersed so this small leak might not be a problem but I didn't want to take a chance. Removed the leaking screw from the hole and waited till everything dried out. Then coated the hole and the screw in gasket sealant.

Wait until the sealant is tacky then put the screw back into place.

continued -

WWW.WVBIKE.ORG
Old 12-05-2010, 10:06 PM   #285

Dear WVvan,
Thanks so much for all the time & effort you have put into your posts. I am a wannabe DIYer with more time than money, but I do not have your experience, expertise, or skill. Nonetheless, just knowing I have your posts as a Knowlege Base to refer to, emboldens me to try a few things on my own. I especially relate to your comments on TV watching; who needs it when you have something as fascinating as a camper van to spend time on. And for me, there is more than enough drama involved.

You have mentioned a "DIYvanner" on RV.net who I would also like to reference. I joined that group, but searches have not turned him up. Could you be more specific, for the complete idiot, as to how to find his posts. Thanks again for all your contributions.
Rudimentary DIY Camper
ScotFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 08:50 PM   #286
Site Team

Hey ScotFree,
Thanks for the kind words.
Here's a link to DIYvanner's postings.

His posted build info wasn't as detailed as mine but he was more than happy to answer any questions I sent him.

Dave

WWW.WVBIKE.ORG
Old 12-08-2010, 09:19 AM   #287

Awesome build thread! Bookmark.
angler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 09:38 AM   #288

I have all the parts and am slowly prepping for the Propex install. I'll get photos and description when I'm on the way.

In the meantime, I'm enjoying the swarf and flutes...

I have not seen the boss in any photos lately.
Old 12-09-2010, 08:24 AM   #289
Site Team

Thanks Angler.

Hey Nomadcat,
Are you going to fabricate the gas hosing yourself? That's the part that stopped me from doing a propane system.
No supervisor pictures lately because when I'm at the workbench for long periods they wander away quickly. I guess they figure I can't get into as much trouble as when I'm outside working on the van.

Speaking of bench work, Last night I tested out some more leds for the florescent fixture upgrade. I'll be adding "Das Boot" (red) lights to it.

Dave

WWW.WVBIKE.ORG
Old 12-09-2010, 09:41 AM   #290

I bought the heater and fittings from WestyVentures and, on his recommendation, got a westfalia tank from busdepot.com.

So far, so good. Just wish I didn't have to work in the streets of NYC in the winter.

Paul