Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-01-2012, 09:16 PM   #471
Site Team

Re: Hal The Van

You know that post from Sunday where I had written that I'd finished welding on the kitchen cabinet frame. Looks like I wrote too soon.

Once I exit Hal, this is what I do.
https://larry.wvnet.edu/~van/pics/lic...late-small.jpg
WWW.WVBIKE.ORG
WVvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 10:12 PM   #472
Site Team

External Power inlet

Posted about his before but had not done the full write-up. I'd been trying for some time to decide where to position the external power inlet when I read a post by another RV owner who mentioned that theirs was located next to the rear door on the right (passenger) side. I knew it was the perfect spot for me, almost.

I'm using a 15 amp inlet.

Here is the same model on Amazon. It's around $20.

While the post I read had the inlet on the passenger side, in my layout the main electrical system is on the drivers side so I'll install the inlet there.

First run some Romex 12/2 I had laying around through the cavities on the van's drivers side from the area of the house batteries back to the inside of the rear doors.

The advantage of using double stick tape to hold the reflectix insulation layer in place is I can pull it away from the inside wall if needing to do some work like this. Just replace the tape when done and remount the insulation.

I'm looking at that small gap you can see in the above picture at the bottom of the panel wondering how I can get tools into that space to tighten the inlet once installed when it hits me about the brake light.

Once you remove the rear brake light.

By the way you'll need a Torx T-15 bit.

It's easy to reach in to the wall cavity.

Figure out the best place to mount the inlet.

Make sure the rear tire wouldn't push up against a plugged in extension cord when the door is opened.

When I'm really, really really sure I have the right spot, first drill a small pilot hole then hit it with a hole saw.

The inlet recommends a 2" hole but the largest metal hole saw I have is 1-7/8". I've found that when using the hole saw on a hand held drill it tends to meander a bit so knew the hole was going to be larger than 1-7/8".

Took about 15 minutes work with a round file and some elbow grease to get the hole to the correct size.

Check the fit.

Prime and paint the inside edges of the hole.

Strip back the insulation and check the fitting on the plug.

When everything checks out, wire up the plug and put a bead of silicone II around the edge of the hole.

Put the inlet in the hole and tighten locking ring on the inside of the van then use three sheet metal screws on the outside.

That's it. Screw the brake light back into place and re-tape the inside insulation. All done.

WWW.WVBIKE.ORG
Old 05-05-2012, 08:18 AM   #473

Thanks for the (extended) write-up on the plug. Mine just came in and I'm about to do the same. I'm thinking of just running romex a foot or so and putting a double receptacle and box in mine fitted into the plastic trim in the back corner somewhere (since I have a passenger van). Also, dig the sink and cabinet. That's gonna be very nice.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 09:06 PM   #474
Site Team

Some LEDs arrived in today's mail. A quick mock-up.

This will not be the next project I do but it is now officially in the stack.

If I could just get that stack to shrink a little.

WWW.WVBIKE.ORG
Old 05-08-2012, 12:44 PM   #475
Site Team

Kitchen Cabinet, Post 1

This is one of those project where I'm starting to write about it before it's finished. Hopefully I can keep the build ahead of the documentation. I'm calling this project simply the Kitchen Cabinet but there's more to it than that. Having an electric pump based running water system was always in my mind for inclusion in the van. Came up with a myriad of possible designs but settled on a mostly self-contained system where I'd fit as much as I could into a single cabinet.

First off have to figure out the size of the cabinet. Start with the fresh water supply. I'll be using two 5 gallon plastic jerry cans. You can see one of them in this picture. These are the same ones used by the US Military. They even have "Property of US Government" molded into the side. Bought the cans from LCI.(link). They are currently around $25 each.

If you look to the left in the above photo you can see a 2-1/2 gallon red plastic fuel can. I've been car camping for years and the red can has been my main water carrier. One of the first things I do after getting back from a camping trip is to take the water can and dump whatever is left in it into the washing machine then dry out the can. It's a good system so I'm using it with the van but upping the size. I bought three of the 5 gallon cans but two should be more than enough for the majority of my weekend getaways.

I want to position the cabinet opposite the sofa-bed, with one end by the rear wheel well and the other end where the two side doors meet. So I was planning on building a mock-up when serendipity hit. My furnace had been getting up in years and I decided to have it replaced before winter hit. Of course we didn't have a winter this year but that's another story. So the local HVAC guys were replacing the furnace when I spotted the box the new one was shipped it.

Say "Hello" to my kitchen cabinet mock-up.

After inspection Tiger agrees that it's the right size for the water cans.

Check walkthrough space with sofa-bed in sofa positions.

Doesn't contact the cabinet in bed position.

Next check the counter top space. How will my "sink" fit.

As you can see I didn't buy a real sink. I'll be using a 8-quart stainless steel bowl I bought at Wally-World (Wal-Mart) for around $10. The bowl will be drilled out for a drain.

Draw a circle on the box to represent the sink and check that with the fit of my induction cooking unit.

I'm going to need some more counter space. Think I'll incorporate a drop leaf. Looking through my box of yet-to-be-recycled cardboard I found a near perfect size for a drop leaf. A Ledo's large size pizza box.

Take a bunch of measurements.

Here I'm measuring Tiger's attention span.

continued -

WWW.WVBIKE.ORG
Old 05-09-2012, 01:31 PM   #476
Site Team

Kitchen Cabinet, Post 2

Take my measurements and come up with a plan.

I originally wondered if constructing the cabinet like a modern building, steel superstructure with non-load bearing walls, might be the best way to save weight since lighter is better. Once assembly began and I started really thinking about what I want to do, a steel framework is the only way to go. Cut out lengths of 3/4" angle iron.

I overlapped the base angle iron instead of miter cutting because of the step edging. Had to notch the top edge for the uprights.

Here's the finished framework next to the mock-up. I used the same overlap weld for the top frame after seeing how the bottom turned out. It's less work and should be fine since the top will be heavy plywood.

Do test fit in the van.

Here's the step edge I was trying to clear with the overlap.

Rough cut a countertop. This is purposefully larger than needed since I'll be refining the design.

Here I'm trying to find what would be the perfect height for the countertop. I've got a couple of white dishpans that will become part of the cabinet design. The thought is I'll wash dishes in one pan, rinse in the sink and stack in the other dishpan. The sink would be recessed so it's acting as a mixing bowl in my pantomime. On the floor to the left of the cabinet frame is a stack of wood scraps I was standing on. Varied the thickness of the wood stack so I could change my height relative to the countertop. Tried different thicknesses until I found the one height that felt the best.

Now that I've shop tested the frame it's time for a road test. Take the frame and the countertop and go camping.

Spend some time living with the cabinet frame inside the van and see how it fits.

Also took along one of the 5 gallon water cans to test different configurations of how to store the water. Took notes and make sketches.

Once I got back to the shop, changed the frame by making it two inches shorter and one inch narrower. The advantage of the steel frame. Just cut it and re-weld it.

continued -

WWW.WVBIKE.ORG
Old 05-10-2012, 09:36 PM   #477
Site Team

Kitchen Cabinet, Post 3

I now have a frame. So what do I do with it? First off decide how the water cans will go. Set it up so the cans will be inserted through the back of the cabinet with the van's left side cargo door open.

With the cans there I want the sink to go, looking at it from inside the van, on the left end of the cabinet. So where does it drain to? Here's the area directly under the cabinet. I've removed the metal shield from around the Webasto heater fuel pump. I'll have to construct a greywater tank that will fit in here somehow. Easiest is for the drain to come through the floor between the step and the frame beam.

To line up underneath, the drain will have to go along the side the cans about here.

To hold the cabinet in place it will be bolted through the floor. The 3/4" angle iron isn't very wide so weld on two small plates for hold down bolts.

Noticed the right side water can is pitching forward since it hangs over the step. Add a metal brace to support it. If you notice the hole in the brace it's because this is a leftover piece of one of my attempts at a lifting lever for the sofa-bed. Recycle.

The left water can is directly over the hot air outlet from the heater. Will have to create a passage for hot air ductwork by raising the left can. Construct the platform from 1/4" steel rod. I'll be using this steel rod a lot.

Add a brace on the left side of the water can.

Add bracing for the right side can.

Add bracing for the back of the cans.

I don't have a detailed plan. Just making it up as I go.

continued -

WWW.WVBIKE.ORG
Old 05-12-2012, 09:59 PM   #478
Site Team

Kitchen Cabinet, Post 4

Start work on making the sides for the kitchen cabinet. With the metal frame supporting the load on the cabinet the sides don't have to be very thick. I'll be using 3/8" plywood.

That's the same thickness that I used on the van floor. Here's the piece that used to cover the back of the van before I re-did the basement hatch.

The front piece for the cabinet will be cut from it.

Use T-nuts to secure the plywood to holes drilled in the metal frame.

I originally tried 4-40 sized T-nuts but they didn't have enough grip in the plywood so removed those and upgraded to a mixture of 8-32 and 10-32s.

With the sides mounted on the cabinet I can trim the 3/4" plywood countertop to it's final size. Plan out where I want to place the sink.

Once I've decide on the position, flip the sink over and draw a line along the edge.

Use calipers to get the distance from the outside to inside edge.

Then use the calipers along with the first circle to mark the cut I'll need to make.

Drill a pilot hole where the jig saw will begin.

Then cut out the circle with the jig saw. Since I'm not shy about pointing out my mistakes in this build you'll forgive me for crowing about what nice job I did on this free hand cut. It's not a perfect circle but pretty darn close. I was pleasantly surprised.

Once the sink was dropped into place it couldn't shift sideways more than 1/8". Line up the faucet on the sink.

Mark the cut outs then use a hole saw.

I bought the faucet at Lowe's for around $45. Picked this particular model solely because the spout is high enough to reach over the edge of the white dishpans.

continued -

WWW.WVBIKE.ORG
Old 05-13-2012, 07:02 PM   #479
Site Team

Today's project.

Take a 1-1/2" PVC valve and a surplus 12 volt seat belt tensioner motor.

Use them to make a motor driven greywater dump valve.

Have some more work to do on the electronics but yes, it really works. Will eventually wire it to the dash, James Bond style.

(Insert mad scientist laugh here.)

WWW.WVBIKE.ORG
Old 05-13-2012, 07:54 PM   #480

Dude, you crack me up!
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote