Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-01-2014, 11:39 PM   #81

Re: Help identifying 4WD conversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by UJOINT
Need more pics, there isn't much that can be done to a leaf sprung front shackle suspension, especially if the springs are short. Most likely its an early GM leaf spring because they're cheap and easily to get. They also ride like crap since all aftermarket spring manufacturers overbuild them to avoid sag & warranty claims.
Chris: What is considered "short" for leaf springs?

2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 09:02 AM   #82

boywonder: Think of your thread as a symphony -- with the major and some minor themes. It will all come together at the end when you pass or purchase and get in to sprucing up your van.

Baja, UJoint, BMWBILO, and others thank you for your input on my BW1356 woes. The main man at my 4x4 converter told me to check the boot for shift shaft tension. After he had the BW1356 rebuilt and reinstalled under warranty, I assume he did so as well. Two years later, it was again popping out of gear. Later when I spent some time crawling under and out and back again examining my flawlessly working Bronco(s) and my E350 4x4, and then looking up what driveline F350 4x4's have and comparing with my E350 4x4, I came to the following decision. If you don't mind, please tell me what you think:

1. I wanted push button transfer case activation like on the BW1356's in my Bronco(s). This totally once and forever solves the shift linkage tension issue. (BTW, I believe that van bodies twist so much or that engine torque twists so much that tension on the transfer case shift linkage is dynamically exerted an unexerted. I am dumb, so I figure I will go with what in my limited experience has worked in the past and is working and has worked on my Bronco(s) -- ESOF.);

2. I like the center support bearing with integral slip yoke on my Bronco(s) and on the F350 4x4 driveshafts;

3. And since I am going to have to redo my driveshaft or buy a used F350 4x4 driveshaft anyway:

4. I wouldn't pay to rebuild my twice failed BW1356, I would buy a used electronic shift transfer case;

5. So, why buy a used BW1356 when for a little more money I could buy a used NV272? (Edit: In addition to and because it is ESOF, it is my understanding that the NV272 has a neutral position between the 2wd and the 4wd high gears (which the NV271 does not have), making ESOF easier and in my way of thinking making it less likely for me to ruin gears.)

Baja: Before I do any of the foregoing, I will do the test you suggested, putting it into 4x4 high and then disconnecting the linkage and seeing if it pops out of gear going down hill and taking my foot off the gas.

boywonder: You may want to find a hill and do the same exercise (without disconnecting the linkage) to see if the van you are considering purchasing has any of the same issues.
2002 E350 ext.; 160K; 7.3L; 4R100 (w/4x4 deep pan & filter); 4x4 conv. w/2007 F250/F350 coil frnt axle (oppos. dual Bilstein press. shocks cured DW) diff chg from 3.55 to 3.73 (bad!); BW1356 t.c. (bad!); LT265/70R17/E Michelin LTX M/S2; Engel MT60 Combi Fridge-Freezer; 4 BP 380J pv panels; Auragen 5kw AC gen. in top alt. position; Webasto Dual-Top; Voyager top. 1995 5.8L EB Bronco, bone stock.
E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 09:14 AM   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb
One a side note, I can't believe they would make an adapter like that. But.... I guess if it works....
Dude, it is old school. My 1976 E250 4x4 had a NP205 cast iron chaindrive (i.e., the definition of bullet proof) d-i-v-o-r-c-e-d transfer case which had "an adapter like that."
2002 E350 ext.; 160K; 7.3L; 4R100 (w/4x4 deep pan & filter); 4x4 conv. w/2007 F250/F350 coil frnt axle (oppos. dual Bilstein press. shocks cured DW) diff chg from 3.55 to 3.73 (bad!); BW1356 t.c. (bad!); LT265/70R17/E Michelin LTX M/S2; Engel MT60 Combi Fridge-Freezer; 4 BP 380J pv panels; Auragen 5kw AC gen. in top alt. position; Webasto Dual-Top; Voyager top. 1995 5.8L EB Bronco, bone stock.
Old 01-02-2014, 09:46 AM   #84

Location: Rancho Nuevo (Cabo/Todos Santos) B.C.S. and San Diego, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by E350
Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb
One a side note, I can't believe they would make an adapter like that. But.... I guess if it works....
Dude, it is old school. My 1976 E250 4x4 had a NP205 cast iron gear [s:tve81p3k]chain[/s:tve81p3k]drive (i.e., the definition of bullet proof) d-i-v-o-r-c-e-d transfer case which had "an adapter like that."
Corrected

P.s. You will need the computer and wiring harness for the appropriate electronic shift t-case and someone to install it and integrate it with the van's systems. We have done several of these and it is not too bad.

AgileOffRoad.com
BajaSportsmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 10:01 AM   #85

Baja: Thanks for the correction. (You knew when you were in gear. You could feel and hear it!) I am the worst kind of poster on these types of forums. A consumer/member viewing things with limited experience and little knowledge, but trying to help.

boywonder: What's the verdict?
Old 01-02-2014, 11:29 AM   #86

Other than mentioned above, nothing really wrong with using an adapter to fit the T-Case. Actually, it can prevent some issues with someone making a mistake when the tear apart the trans to retrofit the shorter 4wd shaft.

Quicker, easier and less potential problems with the transmission. Not a deal breaker IMHO.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 07:29 PM   #87

Quote:
BMWBILO where are you located?

My slip yoke is on the back of my BW1356. It leaks. I need a slip yoke somewhere in the driveline (guys correct me if I am wrong). So I am going to have to pay to have my driveshaft changed anyway. My BW1356 started slipping out of gear 2 years after the conversion to 4x4. I had the shift forks replaced and it worked for another 2 years and is now slipping out of gear again.

You have a great price and I would possibly like to use your guy if you are in NorCal.
Hello E350.
I am in Boise Idaho. I had a problem with my transfer case
poping out of low range if I was going down hill and let off
the gas. First thing I did was take off the shifter boot and
trim the back of the hole. I think when I would let off the
gas there was enough movement in the drive train that the
shifter hit the back of the hole and knocked the transfer case
out of low range. It did seem to help a little bit but I wound
up taking the T case out and having it gone through. My
transmission guy said it didn't look too bad and replaced something
on the shifter fork and resealed the T case. I finally cured
the thing. I went to a pick a part salvage yard and started
looking at different Ford trucks that had the 4R100 Trans
and the BW 1356 T case. What I found was on some of the
older model trucks the T case shifter had a metal plate
that bolted between the Trans and the T case shifter
pivot. The plate has a slot in it and the shifter pivot has
a little nub that rides in the slot. To put my T case into
low range I have to push the shifter towards the drivers
seat as I pull the shifter back into low range. The slot
has a stop in it and when you push the shifter towards
the seat and pull it back you clear the stop in the plate.
When you let the shifter return the nub on the pivot
will not go past the stop in the plate. That keeps the
thing from poping out of low range. I wish I could post
a picture of it but my computer skills aren't too sharp.
I hope my explanation on what I did is comprehendable.
Good luck, Steve.
BMWBILO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 07:31 PM   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by boywonder
Quote:
Originally Posted by UJOINT
Need more pics, there isn't much that can be done to a leaf sprung front shackle suspension, especially if the springs are short. Most likely its an early GM leaf spring because they're cheap and easily to get. They also ride like crap since all aftermarket spring manufacturers overbuild them to avoid sag & warranty claims.
Chris: What is considered "short" for leaf springs?
Anything under 50"
ujointoffroad.com
UJOINT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 08:50 AM   #89

BMWBILO: Thank you for your in-depth reply. It seems we are on similar paths in doing things twice because they weren't done nice.

BMWBILO, Baja, UJoint, and others, do you know if the output shaft, flange, bolts, whatever connects my current BW1356 transfer case to my 4R100 transmission will also connect to a NV272 transfer case?

Or will the transmission output shaft, etc. need to be changed?

I am not worried about crossmember supports etc, my guess is that I can figure that out. And yes the fuel tank will be changed because of the internal paint peeling regardless of what transfer case I use, so those issues are not really important to the above question.

Calling wonderboy: What's the verdict?
Old 01-03-2014, 09:01 AM   #90
Site Team

Garage

just a fyi on the the t case slipping out of gear. I had this issue under load and it would do it at the worst time. What I found one day in Colorado is it was not the t case or the linkage but the motor mounts. I had a bad one and the motor would twist up and pull it out of gear. the only reason I found it was the fan started hitting the fan shroud on a rocky climb.
Its not something that easy to test as I could not get my wife to sit on the bumper and watch the motor while wheeling.

Quote:
BMWBILO where are you located?

My slip yoke is on the back of my BW1356. It leaks. I need a slip yoke somewhere in the driveline (guys correct me if I am wrong). So I am going to have to pay to have my driveshaft changed anyway. My BW1356 started slipping out of gear 2 years after the conversion to 4x4. I had the shift forks replaced and it worked for another 2 years and is now slipping out of gear again.

You have a great price and I would possibly like to use your guy if you are in NorCal.

Most the time the Copilot is Now Sophie dog the noise maker.

2000 7.3 PS Quigley/RB30 with a 6 window poptop.
Gooseberry is offline   Reply With Quote