Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 05-04-2018, 02:04 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: houston, tx
Posts: 307
wiring a switch to activate a factory e-locker?

has anybody done, or know of how to wire up a toggle switch to active the OEM e-locker in the rear axle of a 2013 f350?

i used 2013 f350 axles in my conversion, and the invoice shows they have an e-locker, and it's def not a limited slip, as we were one wheel peelin' in the snow in 2wd a couple months ago when my van tossed the front drive shaft. for that year model, i believe they got one or the other.

is it a 12v activation?

anybody have a pinout of that plug?

i assume is the plug on the upper side of the pumpkin, as it also had wheel speed sensors for both back wheels for ABS, and there is no other plug on the rear, is that correct?
__________________

__________________
'99 ford e350 - 7.3L 4x4
'10 ford f150 raptor scab
'53 buick special eight - the sled
bet on black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 09:16 PM   #2
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Huntington Beach
Posts: 66
I'm researching the same thing and would appreciate hearing what you figure out! Here is a long discussion on the topic:

Sterling electric locker - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

It sounds like the factory switch applies 12v for 30 seconds and then 5v until it's deactivated. The above thread debates whether or not it would kill the e-locker coil if you were to leave 12v to it while in use vs. the 5v step down. There is also some discussion on the various potential methods of doing 12v for 30 seconds and then stepping down to 5v. I hope to have mine hooked up in the next week or two, but I'm still in research mode. I know that MG did the e-locker setup on Sakurama's van, but I'm not sure how he wired it.

I believe this is the connector that you want (and the cheapest price is found):
https://www.nationalfleetparts.com/w...il-wpt829.html
__________________

__________________
2008 E350 RB 6.0 - Bullet Proofed, MG 4x4 Conversion
2009 E350 RB 5.4 - Camburg Kit (Sold)
Fork-N-Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 07:31 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Arizona
Posts: 128
with the 2013+ axle you will also have to think about how to wire the VSS. From what I read they changed it from that year onwards.
karma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 07:44 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
carringb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Corvallis, OR
Posts: 4,141
Quote:
Originally Posted by karma View Post
with the 2013+ axle you will also have to think about how to wire the VSS. From what I read they changed it from that year onwards.
That's correct. 2013+ = outboard speed sensors, which is compatible with RSC vans and all vans starting with 2008, not with older vans.
__________________
2000 E350 extended wagon dually
V10 w/ Banks Powerpack, Diablo Predator
Buckstop Outback bumper/grill guard
Reunel rear bumper
carringb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 07:47 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
carringb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Corvallis, OR
Posts: 4,141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fork-N-Road View Post

It sounds like the factory switch applies 12v for 30 seconds and then 5v until it's deactivated. The above thread debates whether or not it would kill the e-locker coil if you were to leave 12v to it while in use vs. the 5v step down. There is also some discussion on the various potential methods of doing 12v for 30 seconds and then stepping down to 5v. I hope to have mine hooked up in the next week or two, but I'm still in research mode. I know that MG did the e-locker setup on Sakurama's van, but I'm not sure how he wired it.
A relatively easy workaround would be to wire it in series with a resistor, to drop the voltage, and use a timed relay to bypass it for initial engagement. Or use switch with a momentary position for a resistor bypass (i.e. hold down to engage).
__________________
2000 E350 extended wagon dually
V10 w/ Banks Powerpack, Diablo Predator
Buckstop Outback bumper/grill guard
Reunel rear bumper
carringb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 07:41 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: houston, tx
Posts: 307
Did anybody catch the polarity of the two wires? I'm going to wire up a switch for it and not sure which is (+) and (-).
__________________
'99 ford e350 - 7.3L 4x4
'10 ford f150 raptor scab
'53 buick special eight - the sled
bet on black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 10:03 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: houston, tx
Posts: 307
black with white stripe is the ground, and the other is violet and (+)

i used the long charging cord from my battery tender as a jumper test wire to test the locker. with the rear wheels off the ground, one one wheel turns, when you turn it by hand. with 12v power applied to the locker, it makes a click sound, and then the other wheel will turn when you turn one wheel, so the locker is locking. take away power, and it unlocks.

i'm going to just wire it to a switch on the dash to give it a full 12v, as it will only be used for short periods of time. i don't think it will burn up, as on pirate 4x4, a guy left one with 12v on it for a month and it didn't burn up..
__________________
'99 ford e350 - 7.3L 4x4
'10 ford f150 raptor scab
'53 buick special eight - the sled
bet on black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 10:22 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Arizona
Posts: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by bet on black View Post
black with white stripe is the ground, and the other is violet and (+)

i used the long charging cord from my battery tender as a jumper test wire to test the locker. with the rear wheels off the ground, one one wheel turns, when you turn it by hand. with 12v power applied to the locker, it makes a click sound, and then the other wheel will turn when you turn one wheel, so the locker is locking. take away power, and it unlocks.

i'm going to just wire it to a switch on the dash to give it a full 12v, as it will only be used for short periods of time. i don't think it will burn up, as on pirate 4x4, a guy left one with 12v on it for a month and it didn't burn up..
I think for longevity, you can have some sort of relay circuit made that steps down the voltage after like 5 or 10 sec. Should be cheap to make for an electronic/electric repair shop ...... may be available online too.

I'm waiting for someone to find a solution for VSS hookup.
karma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 10:40 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: houston, tx
Posts: 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by karma View Post
I think for longevity, you can have some sort of relay circuit made that steps down the voltage after like 5 or 10 sec. Should be cheap to make for an electronic/electric repair shop ...... may be available online too.

I'm waiting for someone to find a solution for VSS hookup.
yeah, i was considering trying to mimic the ford voltage step-down later, but we are headed to the beach on Saturday, so i need the locker working ASAP!
__________________
'99 ford e350 - 7.3L 4x4
'10 ford f150 raptor scab
'53 buick special eight - the sled
bet on black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 10:42 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: houston, tx
Posts: 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by karma View Post
I'm waiting for someone to find a solution for VSS hookup.
what's the VSS issue?

the van uses the OSS from the tranny, not the rear end for the VSS also i think...at least that's how mine is.
__________________

__________________
'99 ford e350 - 7.3L 4x4
'10 ford f150 raptor scab
'53 buick special eight - the sled
bet on black is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Sportsmobile SIP or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:32 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.