Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-14-2017, 10:46 PM   #1

DWilliamsTX 2017 RB Sprinter 4x4 Build Thread

Ok, it's getting real now.

After lurking around here for almost a year, and placing an order here in Texas 11 months ago, our (now 2017) RB, low-roof van is stateside and is at the reassembly facility.

It's our first van/RV, which makes me second-guess everything...this forum has been a huge help getting me this far. Things seem to be settling. The plan is a lithium, all-electric setup save for diesel heat. We're doing the penthouse top.

Us
We're a family of 4, two kids under 3. We're aiming for several trips per year until the kids start bumping up against the teen years, who knows what will happen then :/ We're pretty small people (short).

Yearly Usage
Several long weekends to the beach and west Texas mountains/desert, and an extended 6-week trip during the Texas summer where my wife and I both can work remotely. Would love to boondock for a couple days at a time as much as possible. PNW/Canada/Alaska definitely in the cards. Pretty light on the super cold camping, I'd guess.

Systems
  • Lithium Batteries. Van will have 2nd alternator and high idle + solar.
  • Airtronic heat. Flat plate water heater. Danhard.
  • Standard Fridge, single burner induction cooktop, sink with long hose to double as shower.
  • 10G water tank
Layout
I've attached a close-enough floor plan that captures the layout we're after. Should allow the kids to sleep down, with us in the PH. With car seats for the next several years we're stuck with the 4 captain's chairs.

For storage, opted for a counter-height slide out pantry and a small drawer unit next to the gaucho (thinking of getting rid of it to have more open storage). Left the back open...I think it may be more handy as an all-purpose space than a fixed cabinet. Underfloor storage, and aluminess rear bumper with a galley box/tire holder.

All this stuff adds up

Several of the big ticket items seem like nice to haves, but I have a feeling they will be a big help when we do part with this van several years down the line (heat, and lithium come to mind)...but perhaps I'm placing too much emphasis on resale value/ability.

My main areas of uncertainty right now are:
  • Lack of cabinet space. I am naturally drawn to just leaving some areas "open" to maintain good visibility inside the van and make the space more flexible.
  • Will the Danhard and/or second alternator react badly to running the van through a river/stream crossing that makes it up to the van body? That second alternator seems pretty low in Fitz' pictures...
  • Is the Airtronic worth doing for resale-ability and occasional use? I initially was thinking a portable propane set up could fill the gap when needed but read so many threads of people talking about how glad they were they went with the heater I second guessed myself.

Definitely happy to hear anyone's thoughts if they have them. I'm running this all by Brian at SMB tomorrow over lunch, will post his reaction and thoughts as well.

So exited this is actually happening!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2017-02-14 at 10.50.24 PM.jpg (96.8 KB, 59 views)
DWilliamsTX is offline   Reply With Quote