Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-21-2019, 07:00 PM   #1

Isotherm 3 (85) vs 3.5 (100)

We have a small open issue to resolve with the size of the fridge. Current spec is for the Isotherm 100. There is a marginal design benefit for the smaller option, but I'm thinking getting the largest option possible (the 100) probably remains the better call. Anyone have strong opinions on the pro/cons of these two capacities? I tried to search the forums, but didn't couldn't readily find a similar discussion. Thanks in advance for the input.

barrel47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 11:22 PM   #2

I have an isotherm cruise 85 in our 144” Sprinter. I chose it over the isotherm 100 because the 100 was too wide for my galley design. On the positive side, the 85’s shorter height gave me room for an under counter silverware drawer above the fridge.

Having a slightly smaller capacity than the isotherm 100 has never been a problem. We can typically get 5-6 days of food in our 85.

If you have the space go with the larger 100.
Mer1039 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 10:50 AM   #3

Thanks Mer1039. It sounds like the smaller capacity works well for you, but you recommend the 100 if we have size. I like the idea of a somewhat smaller one given the option for the drawer (and we like stainless!), but I am concerned about capacity. Any other negatives on the 85 other than the slightly smaller capacity?
barrel47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 11:21 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrel47 View Post
... Any other negatives on the 85 other than the slightly smaller capacity?
No other negatives from me. The 85 works for my needs. Just 2 of us traveling in the van. For trips longer than 5-7 days, we just stop by a supermarket and replenish as needed. Another positive for the 85: it has a 6L freezer vs 5L for the 100.

BTW the Isotherms are quality units and worth the price $$.
Old 03-31-2019, 03:21 PM   #5

isotherm vs norcold

Is the isotherms quieter than the Norcolds. I have a Norcold and when it cycles at night it is extremely loud
sims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 08:33 PM   #6

hmmm I did not know that the 85 had a larger freezer. I have the 100 and I wish the freezer was a bit larger. Another pro for the 85!
Old 04-01-2019, 09:16 AM   #7

I think the size of the refrig you choose depends on how you plan to use your rig. We don't live in ours full time, but we do spend 2-3 months or more straight in it. As such we consider it our 2nd home. We enjoy eating at local places when traveling, but we also want to be able to cook as we would at home. I'm not sure the size of our Isotherm, but I know we did choose a larger one than Sportsmobile offered as their stock size. We also had Sportsmobile build a place for us to carry our cooler (we use the cooler for our drinks) so we don't have to use valuable refig space for beer, etc. We keep all other food in the refrig - fresh veggies, meat, cheese, yougurt, condiments,.... It works really well for us. My only design 'flaw' that we found is the freezer in the Isoptherm we chose is just a fraction too small to hold my favorite pint of icecream (Greaters). It doesn't keep icecream at a hard freeze for more than a day anyways, so I guess not a huge design error on my part. Hope this helps with your decision.
bglockwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 10:15 PM   #8

We swapped out the Norcold for an Isotherm cruise 65. It is so much quieter and uses much less energy. The Norcold woke me up but the Isotherm barely makes a hum.
LindaDV is offline   Reply With Quote