Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-18-2017, 06:01 PM   #1

Sprinter: Winch Usage w/ & w/o Aluminess Bumper

SO, I am length constricted due to driveway length and HOA rules, and have decided to go w/o Aluminess box & tire carrier. I have to decide whether I need Aluminess bumpers (with no boxes, brush guards, etc.) for winch usage.

I am under the impression that both front and rear receiver hitches (which bolt to the unibody as there is no frame) are not really a good choice for mounting a portable winch on the Sprinter as the unibody with receiver hitch can tow, but can't take the pull of winching. Is this accurate? Thoughts? Comments?

If the above is true, that leaves me looking at adding the Aluminess bumpers with winches embedded in them. I understand this is strong enough to recover from mud/sand, but not strong enough to turn the winch into a hoist for semi-vertical rock crawling/climbing.

I have contacted Aluminess and asked how much longer their bumpers alone extend from the body than the OEM bumpers. They don't seem to understand the questions (though I have worded them accurately), or they are too busy to read carefully, and are telling me their front bumper extends 10" more than the OEM bumper and their rear bumper extends 20" more than the OEM bumper. I am sure that is the full length of the front bumper with brush guard and rear bumper with storage box.

Using subtraction, does anyone know how much the Aluminess front bumper extends forward than the OEM bumper does and how much more the rear bumper (without box/carrier) extends back from the body than the OEM bumper does?

Also, thoughts about embedding permanent winches inside the OEM bumpers?

Thanks for the help guys.

TomH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 08:34 PM   #2

Another option is Agile has a good 'hidden' front winch mount with stock bumper.
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 09:41 PM   #3

I don't think you would ever have a problem with a straight-pull. But once you introduce an angle, be it side or up or down, I can see the potential from frame damage. Carry a few blocks/pulley and short endless-chokers, and you'd probably be able to maintain a straight pull.
Old 09-18-2017, 09:50 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rallypanam View Post
Another option is Agile has a good 'hidden' front winch mount with stock bumper.
THANKS, RPA!!!! I found a pic in their gallery of a winch inset in front bumper that seems to be OEM. I have emailed them requesting more info and asking if they do rear also.

I appreciate this!
TH

http://agileoffroad.com/wp-admin/adm...Bsb3ZlLg%3D%3D
Old 09-18-2017, 09:53 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb View Post
I don't think you would ever have a problem with a straight-pull. But once you introduce an angle, be it side or up or down, I can see the potential from frame damage. Carry a few blocks/pulley and short endless-chokers, and you'd probably be able to maintain a straight pull.
I appreciate the advice!!! I'm wondering also about the value of a Pull-Pal.
Old 09-18-2017, 09:59 PM   #6

The rear Aluminess bumper extends 7-1/2" horizontally from the bottom of the intersection (at the center, bottom) of the two rear doors.

The front Aluminess bumper extends 5" horizontally from the bottom of the painted front grille (at the center, bottom, just below the star). If you mount a winch in the bumper, add another 3-1/2" for the fairlead. Note that the brush guard does not protrude out horizontally any further than the front bumper.

When I spoke to Aluminess about this (almost two years ago...how time flies!) they didn't have a design for a rear Sprinter bumper with an integrated winch, (but they were willing to do the design for a fee), has this changed or are you thinking of a receiver-mounted winch in the rear position?

Now all you have to do is find a stock Sprinter and compare! Let us know what the difference is.
Old 09-18-2017, 10:35 PM   #7

I have a Agile Off Road OEM bumper winch install. Looks fantastic and works great. It came in handy after getting two Sprinters SMB vans stuck in Baja a few months ago.
Old 09-18-2017, 11:21 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailsurfer View Post
I have a Agile Off Road OEM bumper winch install. Looks fantastic and works great. It came in handy after getting two Sprinters SMB vans stuck in Baja a few months ago.
Front, rear, or both? So far, I can't find any evidence of them doing installs in the rear OEM bumper.
Old 09-19-2017, 10:38 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomH View Post
Front, rear, or both? So far, I can't find any evidence of them doing installs in the rear OEM bumper.
Just on the front.
Old 09-19-2017, 11:38 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailsurfer View Post
Just on the front.
Thanks....