Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-17-2016, 11:24 PM   #51
ctb

Garage
Send a message via AIM to ctb
B! (Great looking van, awesome front bumper...NOT like all the rest!) Not to be a worry-wart...but, when I was looking for floods, I wanted yellow, I was told, in SOME states you can only use yellow (on) when it is foggy...just in case, maybe know those states, b/c you wouldn't want any ole' excuse to pull a cool van over...just thinking' ...(again) cool van!

ctb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 11:41 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianBlair View Post
The front end on this van is absolutely the best looking setup I have seen on a Sportsmobile. So clean, everything you need, nothing you don't.

BB
I couldn't agree more. I wish my front end looked like that.
gcvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 06:33 PM   #53

front bumper

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcvt View Post
I couldn't agree more. I wish my front end looked like that.
I can make your front end look like that.....
WeldTecDesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 07:09 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctb View Post
B! (Great looking van, awesome front bumper...NOT like all the rest!) Not to be a worry-wart...but, when I was looking for floods, I wanted yellow, I was told, in SOME states you can only use yellow (on) when it is foggy...just in case, maybe know those states, b/c you wouldn't want any ole' excuse to pull a cool van over...just thinking' ...(again) cool van!
Interesting thought! The light is VERY bright. I wouldn't use it on road unless it was absolutely necessary. But in CA yellow is OK 😃
DerPo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 09:06 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeldTecDesigns View Post
I can make your front end look like that.....
Ha, I'm sure you can! So many projects and so little money.
gcvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 10:27 AM   #56

Wtd

En route to Weldtec later today for some work on the van. My stoke level is increasing as we inch closer to drop off.

Currently, I'm at . I interpret this to be the eager anticipation emogee.
killacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 02:24 PM   #57

Thumbs up play-by-play

And we're off...

I dropped the van off yesterday at WTD. After some (a lot) of discussion on how I'd like to set up the van, I opted to do the following:

- (Front) 4" coils, modified radius arms, Fox 2.0 shocks, bent I-beams... aka the Ocotillo Cruiser package

- (Rear) Fox 2.0 shocks, keep previously installed blocks with potential future plans to remove and replace with different leaf spring setup
---

When I purchased the van, it was already mildly lifted ~2" in front (factory coils with spacers, longer shocks) and ~3' in the rear (lift blocks). However, as mentioned in a previous thread it was a bit of a home-brew job that I thought may have contributed to some issues up front with alignment, tire wear, etc. Plus, it kinda had a bit of a stinkbug look to it.

No doubt there are much more knowledgeable people on this forum that could get to the bottom of those issues better than I. But, I wanted the van to ride better and I wanted to be confident in the setup. And I want it to look nice, too.

Beyond that, the van will be adopted as a tow rig for a small travel trailer, so some of my questions (informed and uninformed) for Jeremy at WTD revolved around that. Given this information, he advised the modifications listed above.

I should be getting the vehicle back later this week. Until then...
killacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 02:53 PM   #58

Nice. It will be good to know your suspension is properly done, especially towing a trailer.
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 01:04 PM   #59

reporting back..

Picked up the van from Weldtec last Friday. It was actually ready on Thursday ahead of schedule, but I couldn't make my way over there to save my life.

The van looks great. It sits two inches higher in front than it did with the previous setup making it appear pretty level, if not an inch or so higher in front.

The ride is nice. I'm having ah-ha moments in my day-to-day driving when I roll through a bump or dip in the road a bit smoother than I did before. I should mention that I replaced the tires prior to the suspension work, so it all probably worked together towards the end result.

I'm not off-road much, but I sped through our local unpaved, rutted, washboard road immediately upon leaving the shop and had a blast. The previous time I took this road, I just about rattled my teeth out and swore I'd never take it again.

My customer experience at WTD was solid. My million+1 questions were answered. I'm confident in the product, and the turn-around was fast.
Old 09-14-2016, 06:58 PM   #60

A pic...