Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-18-2013, 03:38 PM   #51

Re: Let's talk air bags...

Jage - on the "as-shipped" picture you show, you are pretty close to midway on travel. The tapered bags actually extend out a long ways. Once they extend past the taper on the base, there is still more travel along the straight section of the base. Also they will compress until the ends hit. They should have come with a circle plate that goes under the airbag base, so that the bags won't wear on the edge of the lower spring plate under full compression.

Old 04-18-2013, 06:08 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb
Jage - on the "as-shipped" picture you show, you are pretty close to midway on travel. The tapered bags actually extend out a long ways. Once they extend past the taper on the base, there is still more travel along the straight section of the base. Also they will compress until the ends hit. They should have come with a circle plate that goes under the airbag base, so that the bags won't wear on the edge of the lower spring plate under full compression.
So bracket as far down as possible?
Old 04-18-2013, 10:46 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by jage

So bracket as far down as possible?
Probably, but I'd focus on travel. How much will your springs compress from static ride-height until the axle hits the bump stop? I would try to make sure the installed airbag still allows the bump-stop to work before the airbag bottoms out. It *looks* like the lowest mounting point will allow that, but hard to say from just a pic.

I've had my axle hanging from the airbags, and that hasn't hurt them, so I wouldn't be too concerned about over-extension. The main thing is making sure they still have 5 psi at least when full extended, otherwise they can fold over then the van comes back down.
Old 04-28-2013, 09:52 AM   #54

Got my driver's side bag in. I'm running both airlines to the passenger side under the door for the temporary schrader valve build- I figure if I pull off the side of the interstate to mess with the pressure, it will be safer to have them both on the passenger side.

That said, I had to cross the muffler. I ran the standard red air line that firestone supplies over the body support directly over the muffler. It's as far away as spot as I could get without taking things apart for access. The question is, do I need to come up with a heat shield for that spot, or will being in the body rail be enough? There are a few holes, at the least I'll aluminum tape over the holes- still I don't want to find out it's too hot and have a melted line 3 hours into my trip... any thoughts?
Old 04-28-2013, 10:44 AM   #55
Site Team

I'd just slip on some of the metalicized (is that a word?) heat shield material over the areas closest to the muffler and tail pipe. If you're asking, you must have a concern, so just do it now. The stuff I'm thinking of has to be slipped over one end as it is not slit down the length, so now's the time to install it.

http://www.thermotec.com/products/categ ... eving.html

Herb
Old 04-28-2013, 03:02 PM   #56

Some of the corrugated split tubing for wiring, and a foil overwrap works pretty good.

I found out the hard way that the rear heater lines get hot enough to melt the air-lines. It was a bumpy ride from Alta back down into SLC. (This was with my old under-frame airbags, so they were completely bottomed out w/out air pressure since I was pulling the 40' trailer, and I had 17 people in the van, plus close to a ton of climbing gear and MTBs on the roof).
Old 04-28-2013, 07:22 PM   #57

Another question, fully loaded SMB with trailer and ~850 lbs of tongue weight, what pressure do I start my bags at? 55psi?

Also got my second bag installed today, just need to build a plate and mount the valves since I'm out of time to do fancy cab switches and compressor at this point.
Old 04-28-2013, 07:34 PM   #58

I did mine too. I took several pics and plan to do a little write up when the weather gets better. I was going to take some pics of 2 or 3 different pressures to show the difference.

CarringB, thanks for the tip on the rear ac/heat lines. I think my air line is too close, so I need to address that before I get on the road.

Also, my rear AC was a problem, I had to mount my bags lower and drill all holes for the plates. It drives great though, but I haven't loaded it down yet. Much better than the add-a-leafs IMO.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 12:29 AM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by jage
Another question, fully loaded SMB with trailer and ~850 lbs of tongue weight, what pressure do I start my bags at? 55psi?

Also got my second bag installed today, just need to build a plate and mount the valves since I'm out of time to do fancy cab switches and compressor at this point.
I run about 40 psi with that much hitch weight. But your springs are probably softer so 55 might be right on.
Old 04-29-2013, 06:21 AM   #60

I'm hoping to do my install in the next few weeks, so any write-up and/or photos sooner rather than later would be much appreciated!

I was going to do them this weekend, but got involved with redoing the headliner and some wiring in the cab area of my van. A lot more involved that I had originally thought (so what else is new?).
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote