Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-23-2010, 09:07 AM   #1

Looking for a Sportsmobile

We’re looking for a clean, well maintained, pre-owned, late model (2006-2009) Ford E350, RB-50, electric PH w/ bed, diesel, 4x4, in good condition, with a Dynatrac front end, Atlas 2 transfer case, ARB Old Man Emu suspension and ARB front lockers. We’re watching the SMB web site and this is our first post to SMB forum.
Thanks for any advise or leads.
Roger

246RP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 11:00 AM   #2

Re: Looking for a Sportsmobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by 246RP
a Dynatrac front end, Atlas 2 transfer case, ARB Old Man Emu suspension
What you described is called the SMB4x4, which is Sportsmobile's 4x4 conversion, as opposed to Quigley or any of the other 4x4 conversions. Point being if it lists "SMB4x4" then it will have all of that, or specifically list upgrades (Deavers and/or better shocks would be a good find).

A front locker is something you can add, which is to say you shouldn't pass up on a van that is lacking one... unlike the Diesel you want, a locker is an easy change. Also not to be confused with the lockouts or locking hubs which are also standard (although I'm not sure of the brand).

A front locker would most certainly be listed, locking hubs are implied by being a 4x4 and won't necessarily be...

Clear as mud now, eh?
Old 02-23-2010, 11:23 AM   #3

jage,
Thanks, you're right, that's exactly what we want; a SMB4x4. We'll add the lockers later if they're not already there. As you might have guessed, we're new to all of this, but hopefully not for long.
Thanks,
Roger
Old 03-12-2010, 01:20 PM   #4

We stopped looking today. That is, we just ordered a new one from Sportsmobile West. We wanted to get one of the few remaining 2010 Ford diesels. We pan to get the RB-50 interior. Now we'll keep reading various forum posts to help us answer a whole new set of questions.
Roger
Old 03-12-2010, 02:17 PM   #5

Congratulations on the Plunge, It will be an exciting time ordering just what you want. I hope you have a full checking account. Builds kinda get carried away. No Regrets and Welcome.

Paul
Old 03-12-2010, 05:21 PM   #6

Paul,
Thanks for your words of encouragement. I'm excited; my wife is a bit nervous, but I'm older and understant that life is short and should be enjoyed.
Roger
Old 03-15-2010, 10:52 PM   #7
Site Team

Garage

That's a great reason to purchase one and was also my final reason to jump and lay down the cash. Time is too short. I'm not sorry I bought new. Other than one or two items I speced out, the van suits my needs well.
I frequent SMB west often so if you ever need some pics (Provided you live a distance away), PM me. I really enjoyed that time during the build. Mine will be back to Fresno shortly to finish some extra upgrades not completed yet.

Dave

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote