Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 08-04-2018, 06:54 AM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Moab, Utah
Posts: 68
A canyon in Utah

This was our first overnight in the van since the 4wd conversion. A scenic little Utah canyon.
Attached Thumbnails
20180406_075619.jpg   20180406_080731.jpg   20180406_075207_HDR.jpg   20180406_080449_HDR.jpg   20180406_074904.jpg  

__________________

bad luck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 01:11 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Twoxentrix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Annapolis, Maryland
Posts: 1,146
Garage
From what you didnt say, I can only assume everything went well, and you are very happy with your upgrade & that it served you well.
I'm always intrigued by the variation of landscape Mother Nature produces... Thanks for posting.
__________________

__________________
TwoXentrix
"AWOL"
Twoxentrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 02:45 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
NavyNuke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 104
Beautiful place to camp
NavyNuke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 05:14 PM   #4
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Moab, Utah
Posts: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twoxentrix View Post
From what you didnt say, I can only assume everything went well, and you are very happy with your upgrade & that it served you well.
I'm always intrigued by the variation of landscape Mother Nature produces... Thanks for posting.
No,
Things didn't go well. And I wasn't happy.
The guy who did it said it would be completed in
3 to 4 weeks, it took him 8 months.
I would not ever go back to him for anything.
When I finally got the van back it wasn't completed.
But I was glad to finally have it back.
After spending a lot more money, it seems to be o.k. now.
bad luck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 06:25 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Twoxentrix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Annapolis, Maryland
Posts: 1,146
Garage
8 months??? I would have needed therapy!.
My sentiment of my comment was intended more as "Congrats, and I'm sure your excited to have a 4x4" . Glad that still applies since you have a working system.
Most of us have had (some level of) a bad experience - the sting does eventually go away. Enjoy your adventures.
__________________
TwoXentrix
"AWOL"
Twoxentrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 04:37 AM   #6
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Moab, Utah
Posts: 68
I don't think about it much. Because if I do, it raises my blood pressure. And I don't need that. But yeah, we love the van, we have had some good times in it already.
Thanks
bad luck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 12:47 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
shenrie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: boise idaho
Posts: 2,172
Garage
Beautiful pix man. Place looks amazing!

When/if you can please share who you had this bad experience with so others can stay clear.
__________________
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 09:48 PM   #8
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: In van
Posts: 4
I recently drove my Sprinter 4x4 down a canyon in the Escalante National Monument. The name of the road is Left Hand Turn Collet Road. Do not go down this road unless you know more about the condition of the road then I did. I eventually made it out but was on the very edge of my 4x4 low range capability. I had to stop 3 times to rebuild the road with large rocks where it had washed out. I could not turn around and kept thinking it cannot get any worse but it did. Very stressful as a tow truck would have been impossible to get in there regardless of how much money I might have offered. Lesson learned: always scout the road out on foot even if it is 10 miles.
Merton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 10:21 PM   #9
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Moab, Utah
Posts: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by shenrie View Post
Beautiful pix man. Place looks amazing!

When/if you can please share who you had this bad experience with so others can stay clear.

The guys name is Mike Leavitt, I will post the gory details later on. But should I post them in a different thread?

It is an amazing place, I've never seen any rock formations like it anywhere else.
bad luck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 10:28 PM   #10
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Moab, Utah
Posts: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merton View Post
I recently drove my Sprinter 4x4 down a canyon in the Escalante National Monument. The name of the road is Left Hand Turn Collet Road. Do not go down this road unless you know more about the condition of the road then I did. I eventually made it out but was on the very edge of my 4x4 low range capability. I had to stop 3 times to rebuild the road with large rocks where it had washed out. I could not turn around and kept thinking it cannot get any worse but it did. Very stressful as a tow truck would have been impossible to get in there regardless of how much money I might have offered. Lesson learned: always scout the road out on foot even if it is 10 miles.

I drove my old gmc van down Left Hand Collet canyon about 28 years ago, long before it was a national monument.
The van was not 4wd, but I suspect the road has gotten worse since then. All part of the fun, we did get stuck in a giant mud hole on Skutumpah road, for half a day. The road has since been improved a lot.
__________________

bad luck is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

» Sportsmobile Registry

Moby

new2tx

White rhino

DIY4x4guy
Add your Sportsmobile
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Sportsmobile SIP or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:23 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×