Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-18-2018, 05:41 PM   #1

Headed to Agile

Am driving the van south on I5 on Friday to have Agile work their magic converting it to 4x4. Will be staying the first night in the Shasta-Trinity National Forest. Saturday the plan is to stay in either Los Padres or Angles NF. The other option is staying at Hungry Valley State Recreation Vehicle Area.

Does anyone have any campground recommendations in those areas? Want to be reasonably close to I5.

Sunday the plan is to drive through the LA area in the morning. Hopefully this will avoid some traffic. Is it better to stay on I5 all the way or cut over to I15 to get to San Diego?

Thanks for the help.

larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 06:20 PM   #2

Garage
Here's the $.02 worth from someone who lives just South of LA along the 5:

For a SUNDAY:
If you can be rolling through the LA area (and be South of it) pretty **early** on a Sunday morning, you're best off sticking to the 5.

But if you let it get past 8:30 or 9 AM though....then you'll almost certainly be running into some slowdowns.

Be aware:
LA isn't your only problem area for traffic as you head South ---- you've also got to deal with traffic from Orange County that's heading down towards San Diego along the 5 as well. It can get messy (heavy with traffic) in the Oceanside/Carlsbad area on the 5.

Again though --- IMHO, if you can be South of LA by 8:30 or 9, you should do pretty well with the 5. Otherwise the 15 might be worth looking into....but getting over to that isn't the easiest either, especially once you're South of LA. (***Whatever you do, AVOID THE 91 FREEWAY AT ALL COSTS....)

Safe travels, btw!!!
MountainBikeRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 08:23 PM   #3
MSD

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by larrie View Post
Am driving the van south on I5 on Friday to have Agile work their magic converting it to 4x4. Will be staying the first night in the Shasta-Trinity National Forest. Saturday the plan is to stay in either Los Padres or Angles NF. The other option is staying at Hungry Valley State Recreation Vehicle Area.

Does anyone have any campground recommendations in those areas? Want to be reasonably close to I5.

Sunday the plan is to drive through the LA area in the morning. Hopefully this will avoid some traffic. Is it better to stay on I5 all the way or cut over to I15 to get to San Diego?

Thanks for the help.
No campground recommendations, but enjoy the trip and checking out the new shop.
1997 E350 7.3l 2wd - Sold
MSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 10:06 PM   #4

Well the van is at Agile Offroad. The trip down was uneventful, . It had been dumping snow in the Syskyou mountains all last week and chains were required to travel that section of I5. The one clear and dry day was the same day I left for Agile, Friday. Roads were clear and dry.

Spent the Friday night at a Love’s truck stop in Corning. Was there instead of a campground due the CG being sunrise to sunset only. The saving grace to Love’s was that the parking lot was level and the Denny’s restaurant had good cheese cake. It was also pretty quiet for a truck stop.

Saturday night was spent at Hungry Valley SVRA at Lane Ranch just north of Castaic. Nice campground that became even nicer once the quads and motorcycles folks went home. No one else was camping that night. It was clear and cold.

The Sunday morning drive through Los Angles went smoothly. Traffic was light all the way down to El Cajon. The hardest part for me was making sure I was in my lane. The lanes seemed to meander sideways across the concrete as you drove along. It took more driving awareness than I am use to.

Had dinner with a friend Sunday night on the waterfront in San Diego. The food was excellent plus it was nice to catch up which what has been going on in our lives. Got back to my hotel and earned that when staying at a Motel 6 to request a top floor room. I did not and could hear the people above me walking around and having a 2X good time before they went to sleep.

Got to Agile around 9:30 Monday. Talked to Jesus and John about the conversion. Paid them half the cost. Then John took me to the airport in a van they had just completed but not dialed in yet. It rode smooth and seemed to handle very well. The next time I will see my van will be April 16th. Am looking forward to getting it back and heading to Arizona, Mexico, and Texas before heading home.
larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 10:38 PM   #5

April 16?! Oh man, when I got mine done it took them 3 weeks and it was hard enough waiting that long.
Old 02-28-2018, 06:58 AM   #6

We are leaving for Agile on Friday to get our 2012 E350 V10 converted.

We leave from Utah and out tentative route is St George area for Friday night and then south of Vegas past Hoover Dam and then explore around Joshua Tree and the Salton Sea.

Any recommendations on areas to boondock camp? Or must see sites? We will spend Friday night near St George, Saturday near Joshua Tree and Sunday, somewhere closer to Santee. Any suggestions are appreciated.

We drop of the van on Monday, Feb 12th and pick up on Friday, April 13th.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
cthayn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 07:04 AM   #7

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cthayn View Post
We are leaving for Agile on Friday to get our 2012 E350 V10 converted.

We leave from Utah and out tentative route is St George area for Friday night and then south of Vegas past Hoover Dam and then explore around Joshua Tree and the Salton Sea.

Any recommendations on areas to boondock camp? Or must see sites? We will spend Friday night near St George, Saturday near Joshua Tree and Sunday, somewhere closer to Santee. Any suggestions are appreciated.

We drop of the van on Monday, Feb 12th and pick up on Friday, April 13th

Start a new thread.

Edit - thats my recommendation

Google Sled Hockey - You won't be disappointed.
Jsweezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 08:28 AM   #8

Thanks for the input. I always wonder what the proper forum etiquette is. Create new very similar threads or just jump into the conversation.

If I don’t get any new input I can start a new thread.

cthayn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 08:44 AM   #9

Here: 33.088317, -116.365249 or sooner if you want more of an open sky feel.
Or here: 33.111708, -116.315390 (same general area)

Been to both places in my 2X4 van. No one really goes back in this area unless the wild flowers are booming. Plenty of places to camp.
Youngster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 08:45 AM   #10

Garage
In this situation starting a new thread would be best since its so specific to you.

Google Sled Hockey - You won't be disappointed.
Jsweezy is offline   Reply With Quote